IGNORED

how to store atari computers safe in a shed or storage

Marius

Hi.

My house is getting (far) too small for having a kid, a lovely wife, and around 70 atari 8bit computers.

I really do not want to sell them or throw them away (!). I want to KEEP them, so when one will be defect in the future, I simply can pick another one out my storage.

In the garden I have a shed (is that a right English word?) built from stone... but in the winter it might get cold there, and I think the humidity is not 'ideal' too....

Now I was wondering. What are dangerous temperatures for my atari equipment? What kind of precautions should I take/make to store them as safe as possible in the shed...

Any hints or ideas are very welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Marius

The electronic part of your Atari can stand very high (or low) temperatures. The mechanical components will not do so well, particularly if the temperatures vary a lot - like -10 at night and +30 during the day. When it's hot the parts expand. When it's cold, they contract. Makes for 'loose' connections and poor contacts.

At the least, put them in airtight bags. This will minimize corrosion and contamination.

No matter what you do, the rubber parts will turn back into tree sap and the foam will revert to dinosaur remains. It's OK - kids and wives are a lot more fun, anyway. Can't snuggle up to a 1050 at night...

Bob

Hi.

My house is getting (far) too small for having a kid, a lovely wife, and around 70 atari 8bit computers.

I really do not want to sell them or throw them away (!). I want to KEEP them, so when one will be defect in the future, I simply can pick another one out my storage.

In the garden I have a shed (is that a right English word?) built from stone... but in the winter it might get cold there, and I think the humidity is not 'ideal' too....

Now I was wondering. What are dangerous temperatures for my atari equipment? What kind of precautions should I take/make to store them as safe as possible in the shed...

Any hints or ideas are very welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Marius

bob 1200XL has a good point about the loose connections and bad contacts. If the temp changes by a lot, then circuits can get loose and unconnected. I've seen it happen in guitar amps on circuit boards and with wiring. Of course, if it does happen, you can just have someone rewire or solder it back together.

Edited by littleman jack

OK maybe this will help, make sure the stuff is packed in water tight bags and containers.

use silica packs, (these are the tiny bags pouches and capsules found in nearly all electronics boxes and vitamin/medicine bottles) in each items container to soak up the moisture. use a protectant when cleaning items before packing and let them thoroughly dry. And try to pack on a non humid day.

when storing keep the items away from walls and up off the floor using non degradable items such as bricks, blocks, rocks, or high density plastic pallets and surround the items with other boxes that do not care about temperature and the like. This is the minimal amount of protection and should help keeps items from suffering from condensation and the like. The core temperature and humidity will not fluctuate enough to hurt anything.

if your real meticulous you can use silicon protectant and conditioners on the rubber based components and like feet, belts, etc etc. but few take the time to do such things. There are sites dedicated to this sort of thing...

This is a really effective solution... not only for wives & children, but for girlfriends, as well, thanks.

How do I ensure that they will all get along well in the shed?

= )

This is a really effective solution... not only for wives & children, but for girlfriends, as well, thanks.

How do I ensure that they will all get along well in the shed?

= )

:rolling:

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

if your real meticulous you can use silicon protectant and conditioners on the rubber based components and like feet, belts, etc etc. but few take the time to do such things. There are sites dedicated to this sort of thing...

Yeah.. If you store any 1027 printers, be sure and spray some kind of rubber preserver on the rubber print head, or it will fly apart when you go to use it again, years later..

well yeah. It sounds amazing, but in reality it is not that much. They are not that big in size, so you can put 5-10 computers in a large box.

I got most of these computers because I bought a second hand 'setup' just for a certain peripheral device. And ofcourse then I do not throw that atari that came with the peripheral away.