IGNORED

Would anyone be interested in an Atari 2600 Joystick lamp?

yuppicide

I wonder if there is a cheap place to get the Atari logo printed on fabric? I found someone who makes custom lamp shades.. she sells them for $18 or $19 each. I messaged and ask if she can do custom ones for me. Not sure what I'd provide her.. printed fabric? logo she can print and cutout?

Hmmm $100. I'm doing one of my own since we have a good size shop and everything needed to do the project. Since i get a great deal on material and supplies, if i were to go in business, i could build them for only $50 but i'm not sure if i want to hang out in the shop everyday even tho I'm disabled and don't have much to do anyway. I'm definitely doing one for myself. Maybe two. I already have the shade i need and the printouts pre set in Power Point. Would like to see yours when it's done.

Well, mine is not just for materials and supplies. It's for time also. Otherwise, yes, just materials and supplies are cheaper. You gotta figure a lot of work goes into this.

Sure i don't doubt it but hen again, it's all in what you think your time is worth. I know, as far as materials go, i can d it for around $30. Even at $50, i'd still make $20 a piece but i'm only interested in doing a couple. The shades and electrical is free for me. Only thing i might have to pay for is the paint. The mdf may be free too depending on my source.

In fact I have no woodworking skills what so ever. I actually hate the feel of wood and sandpaper and the noise it makes! Horror!

I made a cutting board in 7th grade or so.. it was shaped like a fish. I cut the tail too small and if you used it as a cutting board it would have broke off.

In fact I have no woodworking skills what so ever. I actually hate the feel of wood and sandpaper and the noise it makes! Horror!

I made a cutting board in 7th grade or so.. it was shaped like a fish. I cut the tail too small and if you used it as a cutting board it would have broke off.

Yeah, i hate the sawdust and the smell some woods give off. I've noticed how my hands smell when handling certain woods. Geez. :woozy:

Edited by VideoFever1982

Small update:

My friend picked up the rest of the materials today.

Here's the lampshade the fits properly from Lowe's:

http://tinyurl.com/cd76f7

It's only $12 bucks. My friend brought the lamp into the store and put the shade on top and says it looks the right proportion.

Staples carried the foam board that the instructables said to use for the orange indexes around the raised ring. He tried it and didn't think it looked right. He's got a few ideas to try out and which ever one looks

right is what will be used. Once I get those get worked out it will be a matter of finishing and assembly so it should be done in a few more days. Depends on how fast the paints dry.How many depends on how fast the paints dry.

Small Update:

My friend shot the last coat of the last color of paint onto the lamp base today. This is taking a bit longer as the thing uses 6 different colors of paint and each color takes at least 48 hours to dry. Without any complications, the lamp should be assembled Thursday and it should be done by Friday. The assembly requires more glues and such so they have to cure as well.

Should have a photo (minus shade) shortly.

Lamp is done, except for the shade:

post-6095-1236295095_thumb.jpg

Picture isn't the greatest. I'll have a better picture as soon as I can pick up a shade and get it finished.

Here's some ideas I had about a shade.. maybe I can find a shade similar to the one recommended in the same size, but in black. What about if I could paint the fuji logo on one side of the shade, but on the other side actually cut it out.. that side of the shade you'd put against the wall and it would hopefully project a fuji logo on your wall? Or maybe something that goes on top of the shade to project the logo on the ceiling? Would a normal bulb even be powerful enough to shoot the logo on the ceiling?

Lamp is done, except for the shade:

Picture isn't the greatest. I'll have a better picture as soon as I can pick up a shade and get it finished.

Here's some ideas I had about a shade.. maybe I can find a shade similar to the one recommended in the same size, but in black. What about if I could paint the fuji logo on one side of the shade, but on the other side actually cut it out.. that side of the shade you'd put against the wall and it would hopefully project a fuji logo on your wall? Or maybe something that goes on top of the shade to project the logo on the ceiling? Would a normal bulb even be powerful enough to shoot the logo on the ceiling?

I have the shade and the electrical hardware. What material did you use, MDF?

Is that a dirty girls best friend? LOL.

Anyway, I should mention that picture wasn't my camera. My Girlfriend's camera can probably take better pictures, and I'll have them in full resolution rather than the small res my friend gave me. So once I figure out a shade I'll do a better picture in my living room.

Edited by yuppicide

Is that a dirty girls best friend? LOL.

Anyway, I should mention that picture wasn't my camera. My Girlfriend's camera can probably take better pictures, and I'll have them in full resolution rather than the small res my friend gave me. So once I figure out a shade I'll do a better picture in my living room.

Oh your real funny. It stands for Medium-density fibreboard. Anyone who works with wood would know that. It happens to be the same material Sam used on the real lamp.

No.. I know what MDF is. I used to work for Home Depot almost 5 years. Anyway, I was making a dirty joke at the joystick.. with a little lube on the shaft, well you use your imagination.

I met someone who makes custom soap in all sorts of shapes. If I can get an Atari 2600 soap I probably would.