IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 11 "Robotron: 2084"

darthkur

118124215729.jpg

s_Robotron_12.png

Humanity is on the brink of extinction. The entire populace has been reduced to a smattering of clones made of the final remaining human family before the robotron legions terminated them. The robotrons were the pinnacle of human created technology. Autonomous and possessed of great intelligence they turned upon their creators, seeing them as an unnecessary and inefficient part in the grand scheme of things. They decided humanities fate in a nanosecond; liquidation! As the final warrior, that is immune to the robotron assimilation program for all mech's, you call upon yourself to the monumental duty to preserve the last remaining vestiges of human life. You must capture them before they are crushed by the indestructible hulk units or ,worse yet, are transformed into suicidal thralls by the monstrous brain bots. The future of mankind is in your hands alone.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Intermediate (default)

Contest ends on: 3-2-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: famicommander - 4,857,000

2nd: Almost Rice - 4,096,000

3rd: darthkur - 2,212,225

4th: Lord Thag - 2,015,200

5th: roadrunner - 1,567,875

6th: chuckwalla - 1,278,975

7th: xZanU - 1,203,775

8th: keitaro - 1,163,850

9th: doctorclu - 1,061,350

10th: atomickneedrop - 906,550

11th: LarcenTyler - 741,850

12th: gdement - 322,950

13th: aftermac - 256,975

Current Standings:

1st - famicommander (65) (1)

2nd - Darthkur (64)

3rd - HammR25 (52)

4th - keitaro (48) (1)

4th - xZanU (48) (3)

5th - AtariFever (41)

6th - suaiden (38) (1)

7th - Sauron (37) (2)

8th - atomickneedrop (30)

9th - gdement (28)

10th - shadow460 (25)

11th - doctorclu (22)

12th - roadrunner (21)

13th - Almost Rice (19)

14th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

15th - LaserHawk (17)

16th - ratfink (11) (1)

16th - Shannon (11)

17th - aftermac (10)

17th - Allan (10)

18th - chuckwalla (7)

19th - Artlover (5)

19th - LarcenTyler (5)

19th - MrBeefy (5)

20th - bfutrel (4)

20th - Zoyx (4)

21st - midnight magicman (3)

22nd - mightymage (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Robotron Manual

Edited by darthkur

post-21467-1234802644_thumb.jpg

This is funny, there is such a huge glare on the TV that I have to put a blanket over the TV, sit on a stool and have the other end of the blanket go over my head. I still can not really see the bottom left and bottom right corners, but this will have to do until night time. This game is a whole lot of fun.

Have to start somewhere : ) No screenshot, camera battery was charging. Will get one for the next score. One thing I have found helpful thus far is to destroy those round things that spawn the shooting robots. At least I think that is what they are doing, have not had much time to study the board/game.

Edited by xZanU

Mind if I join in? 761,550 so far. I really need to build a joystick holder for the prolines like the 5200 had. I'm currently using two CX-78s - far from ideal. Forgot how awesome this game was on the 7800 though! Not even the tiniest hint of flicker :)

img00059pc9.jpg

Edited by Lord Thag

post-21467-1234826132_thumb.jpg

I am getting crushed, BUT, this game is a super blast : ) Nice to see so many people playing this one right away. Looks like it will be a close one.

OHMAGOSH! My Gamepad works with the emulator. I can now play it without the keyboard : ) Hopefully will get some more practice in since the TV is tied up almost all night.

Edited by xZanU

post-21467-1234828480_thumb.jpg

Gamepad is a a lot easier than the keyboard, wish I had thought of this for the other games, it is certainly more comfortable. Still not as good as you 700k folks, but we have two whole weeks : )

If anyone can give some tips on the brain waves, I'd be grateful! I lose 4+ guys each of those waves, only to build back up and lose them all on the next brain wave (Though I found that leaving one grunt on the brain board and grabbing all the humans is a big bonus for points). Regardless, how is everyone defeating the brain bots?

Ok, if you told me this morning that I would make 1,061,350 on Robotron today I would have thought you were crazy. Man, I think I found a new favorite game. :) (Which only figures since Joust has been a long time fav of mine, same company.)

post-4709-1234831059_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1234831756_thumb.png

post-21467-1234828480_thumb.jpg

Gamepad is a a lot easier than the keyboard, wish I had thought of this for the other games, it is certainly more comfortable. Still not as good as you 700k folks, but we have two whole weeks : )

If anyone can give some tips on the brain waves, I'd be grateful! I lose 4+ guys each of those waves, only to build back up and lose them all on the next brain wave (Though I found that leaving one grunt on the brain board and grabbing all the humans is a big bonus for points). Regardless, how is everyone defeating the brain bots?

What I find amazing, is the scores you have been putting using the keyboard! :)

What I find amazing, is the scores you have been putting using the keyboard! :)

The other games have been pretty basic, holding one direction, stopping, using the spacebar, easy. Not with Robotron though, you have to keep moving all over the place all the time, very hard to do. (Hard for me that is, I see the majority here is scoring some major numbers, and two folks with over 1,000,000 now)

EDIT :: I predict this will be the best 7800 HSC round ever!! Darthkur is going to be very busy.

Edited by xZanU

1173275 I was just warming up. :twisted:

post-7833-1234836833_thumb.jpg

As you can see my prior scores are up there.

You need a dual stick or if you have 4 fire buttons map the fire buttons to the 2nd player joystick directions. So that you can fire in one direction and move in another.

Ok, if you told me this morning that I would make 1,061,350 on Robotron today I would have thought you were crazy. Man, I think I found a new favorite game. :) (Which only figures since Joust has been a long time fav of mine, same company.)
Wow!! : ) Who will be the first to break 1,000,000? You are almost there.

And thank you for posting this challenge of inquiry. :) Gave me some motivation.

I would have posted earlier, but I went to eat dinner. :P Sorry clu

What an amazingly fun game!!!

Now you know what I have been raving about!!

Edited by Almost Rice

Seeing how I'm no longer in first, I might as well share my secret.

When you're on the Brain Wave, defeat all of the brains, but leave one enemy onscreen. Then collect all the humans for MASSIVE points. I learned that while watching an interview done with Eugene Jarvis.

1173275 I was just warming up. :twisted:

....I would have posted earlier, but I went to eat dinner. :P Sorry clu

LOL! What are you apologizing for? I got to be the first to crack a million on this. :D I'm just pleased to be able to say that. Like the first jet pilot breaking the sound barrier, first man on the moon... I got to be the first. Everything after that is important, mach 2, mach 3... another man on the moon. But who gets remembered? The first, and the best. :)

So I broke a million, now you'll just have to be the best. :D

EDIT :: I predict this will be the best 7800 HSC round ever!! Darthkur is going to be very busy.

No doubt! I will definitely play this again.. tomorrow. :)

Seeing how I'm no longer in first, I might as well share my secret.

When you're on the Brain Wave, defeat all of the brains, but leave one enemy onscreen. Then collect all the humans for MASSIVE points. I learned that while watching an interview done with Eugene Jarvis.

Great advice. Yeh when I first started playing this I try to kill off the bad guys.. take away the danger to the humans. But then I picked up a few humans and watched my score jump by THOUSANDS. I was like daaannnngggg... ok. After that, I just made to grab as many humans as I could.

The robots that you first meet on the first level are kinda your ally. They can't shoot you, they are kinda slow, so from then on the focus is to kill the things that will shoot you or make things that shoot you first. Collect the humans, and then kill the 1st level robots last.