IGNORED

Rare arcade games you've seen

retrorussell

Make Trax = I think that was the game's name. You played a paintbrush and had to paint a maze. I only ever saw it at a local Texaco. I didn't play it all that much, but it was fun once in a while when I was burnt out on the place's other two games. (Phoenix and "Puck-Man")

I just MAME'd one...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146767-my-next-cabinet/page__st__25

I can't remember the name of this game I saw in Queens NY around 1985 or so. It was a laserdisc-based game with rastor graphics superimposed over streamed anime-style visuals. Gameplay was a standard "death from above" shooter and I recall a video cutscene where a man with glasses would be melted "Raiders of the Lost Ark-style" by the aliens, just to show how deeply evil they could be.

Anyone have any idea what this was?

Never Mind, I found it. Bega's Battle. Looks like game play was weaker than I remember...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmErdg2fVzg

Edited by Kripto

I don't know how rare this one was, but the technology was certainly pretty awesome. It's a newer game, but Time Traveler was definitely a quirky one. We had it at one of our local bowling alleys for a while and I only dumped a couple dollars of quarters in it. I could never figure it out since it's the same vein as Dragon Quest.

It had these concave mirrors that projected a hologram of your character so it looked sort-of 3D. Really nifty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

That was in my late teens, but even at that age I was still making a bee-line for the 1941 machine to try to best my top score. I had the top score at that place for 10 years!

Mission X was pretty rare.. one of the games for the DECO cassette system, like Lock N Chase, Burgertime, Astro Fighter, etc. I saw it at my dad's bowling alley in Milwaukie, OR back in about 1982. Not too great from what I remember. It did get an Intellivision port however, and maybe an Atari 2600 port too.

Strange how the drive-in theaters often had obscure arcade games, like Pulsar, Stratovox, etc. and one I remember seeing (but not playing) at one was Zarzon, also known as Satan of Saturn.

Also, I saw DJ Boy and E-Swat at an old cinema about 3/4 miles from my house a handful of years ago. Both games had superior Sega Genesis releases.

I remember playing a game at a local mini-mart when I was in College that I haven't seen anywhere else, and a quick browse through MAME didn't find it. Although my memory might be off a bit.

I think the game was just a standard "Shoot the airplanes as they fly by" game.

I "think" the premise was that you were on a ship, and you controlled a gun that swung around to shoot at the planes as they dove in.

What was unique was the control. I swear (meaning I'm pretty sure :-), I remember that the controls and the monitor were connected together and pivoted. So, when I took the controls and moved to the right, the whole monitor moved to the left and the view panned appropriately.

All in all, I was pretty impressed, but I can imagine it might be a maintenance issue to keep it working...

It didn't last too long there.

desiv

I remember playing a game at a local mini-mart when I was in College that I haven't seen anywhere else, and a quick browse through MAME didn't find it. Although my memory might be off a bit.

I think the game was just a standard "Shoot the airplanes as they fly by" game.

I "think" the premise was that you were on a ship, and you controlled a gun that swung around to shoot at the planes as they dove in.

What was unique was the control. I swear (meaning I'm pretty sure :-), I remember that the controls and the monitor were connected together and pivoted. So, when I took the controls and moved to the right, the whole monitor moved to the left and the view panned appropriately.

All in all, I was pretty impressed, but I can imagine it might be a maintenance issue to keep it working...

It didn't last too long there.

desiv

Is it Subroc 3-D?

OK, the game itself doesn't look like I remember. But the cabinet is exactly like I remember, so this must be it:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7507

Danger Zone. Unless there was another game that used the same control mechanism, but you were on a ship shooting at passing planes... I suppose I could be mixing games. It was a long time ago.. :-) :-)

desiv

OK, found a vid clip of the game, and I'm pretty sure that has to be it. It looks better in action. :-)

http://arcadeheroes.com/2009/06/23/if-danger-zone-were-made-today/

Edited by desiv

I remember playing Space Lords a couple times in a mall either in Eugene or Portland area, then never again. I completely forgot the game existed until I saw it in a MAME listing a few months ago. Last I checked, emulation was only 80% or something, so it might still be a while yet before I get to play it again.

Mission X was pretty rare.. one of the games for the DECO cassette system, like Lock N Chase, Burgertime, Astro Fighter, etc. I saw it at my dad's bowling alley in Milwaukie, OR back in about 1982. Not too great from what I remember. It did get an Intellivision port however, and maybe an Atari 2600 port too.

You grew up in Milwaukie? Blink and you'll miss it! Haha! That's awesome; my wife grew up in Molalla. We always pass it on the way there! Is it that same one (and only) bowling alley?

Our local YMCA had Granny and the Gators on free-play! That game is awesome!

Edited by CebusCapucinis

You may recall sometime way back when where you were at some arcade where all the big-name machines were right up front; the Ms. Pac Mans, the Battlezones, the Donkey Kongs, the Dig Dugs, the Galagas, etc. But back in a corner, you saw some weird title that you tried out and maybe talked to your friends about, and NO ONE had ever heard of it before. It promptly disappeared from the planet and no one seems to know it existed. If you can remember the name (or if you can't maybe I can help you), what was it? Did it deserve to die a quick death?

Earth Friend Mission - A vector flight sim / space combat game from around 1982ish or so.

I have fond memories of playing NARC at Fun Factory (Kansas City) as a kid. A little later on I recall playing a lot of Spin Master at another arcade (the name of which escapes me).

I don't know how rare either game is now, but they seemed to be in the background compared to more popular games of their time.

Edited by NCN

You grew up in Milwaukie? Blink and you'll miss it! Haha! That's awesome; my wife grew up in Molalla. We always pass it on the way there! Is it that same one (and only) bowling alley?

Our local YMCA had Granny and the Gators on free-play! That game is awesome!

Actually I always (save for 3 years in Auburn, WA) lived in Portland, but my dad bowled @ Kellogg Bowl on Mondays in the late '70s/early '80s. Probably the one you're thinking of, it used to be right next to Pietro's Pizza. Haven't been by there in forever, don't know what's there nowadays.

Never played Granny & The Gators, but hopefully it's a better pinvid than Baby Pac-Man.. ugh!

How about Space Encounter? I have one, odd kind of star wars games, has flashing lights when you get hit,etc. Never saw one back in the day.

http://www.outerworldarcade.com/arcade/space_encounters/space_encounters_video.html

We had that at the theatre in Raleigh Hills for many years. It had a color overlay along the side to create a death star-trench effect.

How about Space Encounter? I have one, odd kind of star wars games, has flashing lights when you get hit,etc. Never saw one back in the day.

http://www.outerworldarcade.com/arcade/space_encounters/space_encounters_video.html

We had that at the theatre in Raleigh Hills for many years. It had a color overlay along the side to create a death star-trench effect.

Yep, that is the one! It's kinda fun, grows on you if you like retro things (I do!)

Played Astro Invader at drive-ins and old theaters. Not really super-rare I guess.

Played Tiger-Heli and Return Of The Invaders at a nickel arcade in Beaverton.

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) used to have a Professor Pac-Man machine!

Space Odyssey was a crappy shooter. Played it at Chuck E. Cheese once.

I rather like Halley's Comet but I've only seen it once, at a bowling alley near Seattle.

I only saw the original Crazy Climber cab by Nichibutsu once, at the Rose Festival arcade back in the early '80s.

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) used to have a Professor Pac-Man machine!

Now THAT would be worth some serious money. Gotta wonder what happened to it.

Tempest

Probably converted to another game or at a dump. Professor Pac-Man was a colossal flop and that's what happened to most of those machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What a great thread! Reading this sure brought back memories of games I've not seen/played in a very long time!

I have to agree with most of you, Major Havoc is one of the all time great games! ...and my personal all time favorite.

I have an orig. dedicated Major Havoc here at home that after all these years, still looks and plays amazing!

One obscure game that a friend has been looking for is called Marine Date by Taito. I only ever saw one of these back in the early '80's.

Link: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8622

I don't know how rare this one was, but the technology was certainly pretty awesome. It's a newer game, but Time Traveler was definitely a quirky one. We had it at one of our local bowling alleys for a while and I only dumped a couple dollars of quarters in it. I could never figure it out since it's the same vein as Dragon Quest.

It had these concave mirrors that projected a hologram of your character so it looked sort-of 3D. Really nifty!

That was in my late teens, but even at that age I was still making a bee-line for the 1941 machine to try to best my top score. I had the top score at that place for 10 years!

I played this game at Disneyland (Aneheim) back when I was stationed at Ft. Irwin in 1991. Great game, I would love to own it.

I played this game at Disneyland (Aneheim) back when I was stationed at Ft. Irwin in 1991. Great game, I would love to own it.

Wow, for a "rare" game, Time Traveler sure has been mentioned a lot on this thread. :lol: