IGNORED

Show Your Cartridge Storage Shelves

8bitbasslines

I am thinking of building some 5200 cartridge shelving

But I want to get some ideas on what people would like to see

in a perfect collection rack unit

First thing I would like to do is make them expandable to reach up to

the exact number of games that can be collected for the console

How many is that up to now with all the new homebrews included?

I want to get an idea of how to divide a shelving unit into sections

based on the number of slots I would need to complete the collection

If anyone has pictures of there own shelving or collection storage

I would love to see it

or if you have links to pictures of storage units made for Atari carts or colecovision

I would love to see it

Who on here has a complete 5200 collection ?

someone should post a youtube video like this guy

but featuring there 5200 collection

I am thinking of building some 5200 cartridge shelving

But I want to get some ideas on what people would like to see

in a perfect collection rack unit

One thing to remember is that 5200 cartridges don't have end labels. (Stupid, stupid design!) As such, putting them on shelves makes it pretty hard to find a game when you want to play it - unless you add labels to the end of the carts. This is where a Dymo labeler comes in handy.

I presently store my 2600 and Coleco carts in the tops from photocopier paper boxes. They're exactly the correct height to store the games on end, and they're big enough to fit three rows of carts (plus two rows of a couple edgewise), and they stack pretty well. NES carts live in taller boxes from some kind of computer hardware (I forget what), as well as in piles, as they've outgrown their boxes. The 5200 carts are with the N64 carts in a smaller box lid - I just leave enough room to flip through them. Of course, I've only got about a dozen 5200 carts, so it's not that big a deal.

I intend to build shelves for this stuff Real Soon Now. But, that's been on my mind for years - and yet the games still live in boxes...

-Ian

If anyone has pictures of there own shelving or collection storage

I would love to see it

or if you have links to pictures of storage units made for Atari carts or colecovision

I would love to see it

Here is the floor to ceiling unit I made for my 2600 and Coleco carts. Made with 1" x 4" pine, there's room for 22 shelves:

post-3040-1235179486_thumb.jpg

If your space is limited, custom shelving is the only way to go!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

There is a thread with some pictures: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...34479&st=20

I have a complete released title collection. You'll want space for those 70+ games, and then more on top of that for homebrews. Counting Atari 8-bit conversions, there are well over 100 titles available, probably approaching 200 by now. I bought cases for mine and printed out inserts that Atariage had available at one time... but now I can't find the link! This is by far the best storage solution I have found.

post-6271-1235969109_thumb.jpg

wtf lushgirl who the hell stores their games with the connector edge out that would be like a bookcase of books with their spines in

i dont have many 5200 games so i keep them in a plastic trayDCP_6935.jpg

i do have plenty of genesis "tapes"

that i keep in cassette storage devices on my wall

DCP_6936.jpg

wtf lushgirl who the hell stores their games with the connector edge out that would be like a bookcase of books with their spines in

Eh, with 5200 carts, it doesn't much matter - it's not like the other end of the cartridge is any more descriptive. At least that way, the labels are all facing the right way up when you flip through the stack.

i do have plenty of genesis "tapes"

that i keep in cassette storage devices on my wall

The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes, it made me a waffle.

<grin>

But seriously, I always wondered what genius at Sega decided that Master System cartridges should be EXACTLY the same size and shape as a cassette tape case, but didn't bother to label the end of the cart so you could put them nicely in cassette holders!

-Ian

quote]

Ohh I like how I can see the labels of my favorite games on top ;) ,if I turn the connectors the other way then the pictures would be upside down :( :ponder: (how the hell else would I put it? it looks fine to me!) and in my Nintendo cabinet(which is just right under my Atari), yes there's a hole in the back where the connections lead out. My roommate gave me that cabinet but never explained to me why there is a hole in the back :| oh well i like my videogame shelves.

post-22489-1236214884_thumb.jpg

Edited by lushgirl_80

But seriously, I always wondered what genius at Sega decided that Master System cartridges should be EXACTLY the same size and shape as a cassette tape case, but didn't bother to label the end of the cart so you could put them nicely in cassette holders!

-Ian

oh i know they even had the label fold over the end a bit and they could have had a little name written in there(ps the only master system game is on the top left(it is black belt)

i was kidding about calling them tapes i always hated when people called them atari tapes

but i understand why they did

see everyone was comming down from 8 track tapes and they were also called "packs" and "cartridges"

so to some cartridge was the same as tape and cassette tapes were just "cassettes"

and shoving in an 8 track cartridge is alot like a game cartridge

but then it got confusing because of the atari and commodore computer using cassette tapes even the couple games for the atari 2600 that came on tape(fireball)

so the weird thing is that when someone was talking about atari tapes more than 90% of the time they mean a cartridge

but when they talk about commodore tapes way over 90% of the time they were talking about cassettes

i tried arguing with people how "tapes" are cases of long magnetic mylar ribbon and a cartridge is a little circuitboard with a microchip in a case but i always ened up looking like a looney

ps sorry lushgirl i just assume every body puts on a sticker with the game name on the end of the carts

parkerbrothers got close but they couldn't seem to make up their minds on which end was up acitvision failed miserably with their 5 degrees off 90 angled label

so the only game i can id correctly every time is miner 2049er since it is red

ooh i forgot the sega ones got it right they win the end label challenge

Edited by bohoki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll post mine if anyone wants a laugh. I have about a half-dozen shoe boxes of "carts and parts" and a mess of five consoles on a pathetic shoe shelf. I have a box of broken 5200 joysticks sitting in the dining room and about 10 Atari 2600 boxes sitting on the hutch.

I'm sure there is worse, but it's not like me to let it go as long as I have.