IGNORED

Street Fighter 4!

Lord Thag

More thoughts after a marathon session tonight.

Though I did fight a VERY cheap Blanka user tonight. I ended up having to take Chun-Li and use her speed to take him down. Still, was a super close match.

As a Blanka player (and Honda), I'm curious -- what makes a VERY cheap Blanka user to you?

More thoughts after a marathon session tonight.

Though I did fight a VERY cheap Blanka user tonight. I ended up having to take Chun-Li and use her speed to take him down. Still, was a super close match.

As a Blanka player (and Honda), I'm curious -- what makes a VERY cheap Blanka user to you?

As a Blanka player myself, I can easily identify a cheap Blanka player. A cheap Blanka player will always barrel roll, shock, barrel roll, shock. Rinse, repeat

Ok, I have never seen such a thing yet. Sounds like the Blanka version of Flowchart Ken (all shoryukens). I fought a guy several times and he picked a variety of characters - when he was Blanka he had an intimidating style that was new to me. He kept cancelling his roll and turning it into another move, this surprised me and I was defeated all 3 rounds.

Cheap as in do a short roll, throw. Short roll, throw, Shock, shock, short roll, throw. He literally did NOTHING else.

Met him again tonight, though, and totally surprised him with Balrog played constant pressure style. Kept him in the corner, whenever he'd shock, I'd do a full focus, then a quick rush. Caught him with the Ultra, and chipped him for the finish.

I don't mind losing to a skilled player playing someone other than a fireball/uppercut or sonic boom/flash kick combo. That takes very little skill, just the ability to do joystick commands. It just gets old fighting those guys over and over and over. I'm also seriously considering auto-avoiding all Sagat players, as I was doing some reasearch, and apparently he's considered the top character in the game. I say Akuma is MUCH worse, though.

And I still LOATHE Blanka's super and Ultra combos. It's the most worthless move in the entire game, with maybe the exception of El Fuerte's Ultra (the one where you have to be perfectly spaced and he jumps on your shoulders).

I too hate Ken/Ryu/Akuma/Sagat spammers.

I haven't bought SF4 yet but from the years of playing against other people, all they do is either fireball and dragon punch when you get close, or jumping kick and low kick on and on against players without a reverse move like the dragon punch or flash kick.

When I buy SF4, I will be playing mainly as Vega and probably Cammy and Guile since they are the ones that are most fun to play with. Ken could be too but I tend to get frustrated by not being able to perform the attack at the exact time.

I am a jumper player btw.

Edited by AtticGamer

Cheap as in do a short roll, throw. Short roll, throw, Shock, shock, short roll, throw. He literally did NOTHING else.

I'm not understanding how this is cheap...sure he doesn't know all of the moves...but if he wins, then what does it matter? I would imagine that a really great player could consistently beat other players of various skill despite the type of moves they use.

In the end, winning the match is the only thing that matters, not what moves you use to do it...IMHO anyway.

Side note...I haven't played the game yet...so this is all an observation.

I would imagine that a really great player could consistently beat other players of various skill despite the type of moves they use.

I'd have to disagree, actually. Guys like this usually pick one character, find the absolute cheapest/easiest way to win, then use that tactic over and over to rack up win points. A GREAT player can take any character against any other and win consistently. Just learning how to do a fireball/uppercut trap or learning how to spam a difficult to counter move doesn't make you great, it makes you unable to actually LEARN the nuances of the game.

Take Tekken for example. At one time, I was so confident in my Tekken 3 skills that I bet a guy a stint in the military if I lost to him (and I signed a paper stating so). My main character is King, but I can play Paul, Law, Eddy, Yoshimitsu, Lei, Jack, and Bryan. I can muddle through most of the other characters (the female characters in Tekken are just too bland for me to even want to play), but I was VERY good at those guys. That's learning the game, not just finding a cheap move and using it over and over.

I'd have to disagree, actually. Guys like this usually pick one character, find the absolute cheapest/easiest way to win, then use that tactic over and over to rack up win points. A GREAT player can take any character against any other and win consistently.

I'm confused about this though, couldn't a GREAT player also realize right away that this person only knew and spammed a few specific moves and counteract them using any other character that he knew many, many moves with?

My thought is, if you can't identify and take out a person like this, it doesn't mean the spammers are cheap (they are just using what they know best) it just means maybe the other person isn't a GREAT player or at least not as GREAT as they think they are.

It should be noted I absolutely suck at these games so I might not know what I'm talking about, it just seems logical.

I'd have to disagree, actually. Guys like this usually pick one character, find the absolute cheapest/easiest way to win, then use that tactic over and over to rack up win points. A GREAT player can take any character against any other and win consistently.

I'm confused about this though, couldn't a GREAT player also realize right away that this person only knew and spammed a few specific moves and counteract them using any other character that he knew many, many moves with?

My thought is, if you can't identify and take out a person like this, it doesn't mean the spammers are cheap (they are just using what they know best) it just means maybe the other person isn't a GREAT player or at least not as GREAT as they think they are.

It should be noted I absolutely suck at these games so I might not know what I'm talking about, it just seems logical.

That's actually my point...although I too suck at fighting games.

That's actually my point...although I too suck at fighting games.

Hmmmm Now 2600Lives has got me thinking. Perhaps I don't suck after all...perhaps the people I play are just cheap!! :P

:ponder:

Nah....seriously I suck at em.

I've had a lot of the same experiences that 2600Lives has had. Sometimes you have a great match, other times you get an "Akuma jerk". It's definitely hit or miss.

I really wish there was a way to be able to see a players ranking before accepting/entering a match with them (unless I've missed it somewhere?). I would just avoid the high ranked players like the plague. :P

The game is still awesome though and I've had some awesome Street Fighter nights with some friends of mine. We play the old "you lose, you pass the controller" style. Makes for a lot of fun.

I've had a lot of the same experiences that 2600Lives has had. Sometimes you have a great match, other times you get an "Akuma jerk". It's definitely hit or miss.

I really wish there was a way to be able to see a players ranking before accepting/entering a match with them (unless I've missed it somewhere?). I would just avoid the high ranked players like the plague. :P

The game is still awesome though and I've had some awesome Street Fighter nights with some friends of mine. We play the old "you lose, you pass the controller" style. Makes for a lot of fun.

You need to set your search priority to 'same skill'.

I guess I'm one of the few people that have been using the other characters... I was smacking people around left and right with E. Honda. Lots of them were ken/ryu/akuma scrubs, we're talking 1500BP+, and they had no clue how to play a decent E. Honda. Akuma kept on throwing air fireballs in which I promptly headbutted him on the way down. Then jumped in, fp, hundred hand slap. Then they try to attack and I do his other charge move.

Such a great game. All the characters are balanced. Hell even Dan has a good chance to win some matches. His ultra has some priority.

Had a funny occurance tonight. Playing against another damn Akuma player. I'm Zangief. I managed to get inside and cross him up to dizzy, then spd to finish. Next round, he tries to jump in, I counter and get him in cross up again. This time, super finish. Two rounds, damn near perfect every time. Not my fault he doesn't know how to counter a cross-up. It's practically Z's bread and butter. Guess when one of those guys can't use the damn uppercut, they have no idea what to do. So, what does he do? I get a message saying "Worst Gief ever." Wow, even when they lose, these little XBox live peckers talk shit. Maybe if they actually TOUCHED a female breast occasionally, they wouldn't be so damn angry. Well, avoid and block communications. Too bad you can't just report these little assholes and get their gamertag banned. Oh, also had my first encounter with a disconnecter. Ugh. Asshole quit just as my ultra combo went off for the win. I know there's a report button for that, but since you actually have to FINISH the match to send a report, it doesn't quite work. Anyway...

I've been playing Honda more and more. Damn is he GOOD. Almost a perfect counter to Akuma. Try that damn air fireball! I'll headbutt you to the ground! Gouken still gives me trouble, though. I can occasionally manage a win with Blanka or Vega, but using Z or Honda, and damn, he just annihilates me.

My mains are Zangief, Honda, Blanka, Vega, and Balrog currently. Vega I usually use only as a counter to a character I'm no good against, such as Gouken or Akuma. I every so often use Ken when someone takes Sagat, but it's rare. I'd rather have Honda or Z when facing Sagat.

Gotta disagree on the balance though, Keilbaca. I've seen this series progress for years, and they STILL have trouble with balance. Some characters are still just too good, and since those characters typically are easy to learn, and worse, easy to learn how to abuse and spam moves, it makes it easy for an unskilled player to learn 2 or 3 techniques and dominate. Look at Dhalsim from SSF2T. He SUCKED in the earlier games, but holy cow, he was almost untouchable in that game. Capcom dumps all the good stuff on the storyline characters, and bugger the rest. Lol. Still, it's MUCH better than some games I've played (namely the KOF games, man, the balance issues in those was just ridiculous). I'd say that overall, Garou still has the most perfect character balance of any 2D fighter I've ever played, period (not my favorite game, but it's got almost perfect balance). Every character has a good chance against every other character. I took on the world champion some years ago with my Hokutomaru, and it was CLOSE, but his Rock ended up finishing me by chipping me with a super.

You can access Xbox.com from your computer and send the offending player a message, which is what I did with a disconnector named FOLEY105. I was really pissed about this one because I beat this guy in a tough Dan vs. Dan battle, and he disconnected AFTER the final blow was dealt. What an asshole... it still counts as a loss even if you forfeit! All he did was cheat me out of rightfully earned icons and labels.

You can access Xbox.com from your computer and send the offending player a message, which is what I did with a disconnector named FOLEY105. I was really pissed about this one because I beat this guy in a tough Dan vs. Dan battle, and he disconnected AFTER the final blow was dealt. What an asshole... it still counts as a loss even if you forfeit! All he did was cheat me out of rightfully earned icons and labels.

I despise people who disconnect at the very last minute! I encounter them all the time while playing MK vs DC and SF2THDR.

I despise people who disconnect at the very last minute! I encounter them all the time while playing MK vs DC and SF2THDR.

On Live, You can submit feedback for players and choose why you like or dislike them.

One of the negative choices is Game Behavior which translates to: The player was overly aggressive, unsporting, or quit the game early.

I can't say I've ever done it myself, or if it actually does anything other than let people know the other player is an ass.

I've also never submitted feedback, but thought of it. My first thought is that if you beat somebody, they are free to submit negative feedback about you so you look bad. I've had disconnects a few times too -- why do people do that? Is it to save their BP points before a loss? Or do they lose them anyway?

I think they retain the points, as it's basically a "bad connection" type of deal (and I have actually had a legit lag out disconnect when playing someone with a slow internet connection).

Didn't know about the XBox.com thing, though. Would be nice if you could actually remember the other player's name, eh? Most times it's just a random string of numbers and letters for their gamertag. What little wussies, man. Just play the game and take your loss. Every loss translates into learning how to play better!

Don't any of you know about the 'recently played' list? Follow my instructions:

-Guide Button

-Friends

-Scroll two pages to the right

This will open up the recently played list where you can view the last 50 players you've encountered on Live.

Definitely leave feedback if you think they deserve it. It's all anonymous, so it's not like player X is going to know who left the poor feedback if that's what you're worried about. It's not like Ebay. What it does do is it affects their gold star rating, and I've read that if a gamer gets too many negatives in a certain amount of time, MS will actually ban that person for a short time from playing on Live.

Personally I wouldn't leave bad feedback for quitters as it doesn't hurt you. I save that for the jerks on shooters like CoD or L4D. Quitting is pretty harmless overall. I usually leave negs for Trash Talking more than anything.

Leave positive feedback to of course for people you enjoyed playing with. You want it left for you don't you?

Good to know. I don't play on Live very much, so I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs.

Every time I play someone that gives me an actual challenge without just fireball/uppercut all the time, I prefer them, too. The coin has two sides. This is especially true if someone takes a character not normally played, too.

Funny thing happened tonight on a ranked match. I had a good match with a Zangief player vs. my Cammy, and after the match I sent a 'good game' message. Well, the guy was from Japan, and he sent me back a message that contained a jumble of Japanese characters, I have no clue what it says. lol.

I won the match, hope it wasn't something bad. Shockingly, we had a 1 bar ping, but experienced no lag as well. Couldn't believe that.

Edited by Gunstarhero