IGNORED

Street Fighter 4!

Lord Thag

Question: how is it that if we are playing 1-player arcade mode, somebody online can challenge us? Where are they seeing us at?

Is it someone from your friends list?

I haven't played SFIV, are they sending you some sort of challenge in the game or are they sending you a game invite through the messenger on the dashboard?

Anyone on your friends list can see what you are playing very easily and send you an invite to play a game.

Anyone you have played in the past or that had your gamertag could also find out if you were online and what you are playing and send you a game invite.

If it's something they are doing through the SFIV game network itself, I'm not sure.

I haven't entered any friends yet so it isn't that.

When I go online thru the xbox live menu, I can search for ranked matches and "player" matches. I'm wondering if the player matches are where I appear to someone else, even if I'm playing arcade mode .. ?

When I go online thru the xbox live menu, I can search for ranked matches and "player" matches. I'm wondering if the player matches are where I appear to someone else, even if I'm playing arcade mode .. ?

Is this a challenge that is popping up in the game itself? Like you are playing a match and somewhere on the game screen someone is asking you to play not someone just sending you a game invite through messenger? Sounds odd they can challenge you like that just playing arcade mode. Usually to show up in an online player or ranked game queue you have to play the online mode and choose one or the other.

In your Live settings for the game, you can choose to have people challenge you when you're playing through the one player game, just like the arcade game. If it says "lobby", then they've created a lobby for someone to challenge them, if it says something else (I don't remember what it says, honestly), then they're playing through the one player game and you can challenge them. Set it to OFF, though. Nothing is more annoying than aaaaalmost winning a hard fought match, only to have someone challenge you and bugger it all up.

Had a LOT of fun tonight! Lost more than I won, but it's cool. I learn more that way. Only had one guy talk shit. Looked at his gamer card. He had...82,000 gamer points. Eighty...two...THOUSAND. I have just over 3000! My god! Remember the South Park episode with the fat Warcraft guy? I'm sure this guy makes him look cool! Anyway, he was insanely talented with Zangief, and schooled me, but who cares? Someone like that winning is like losing a basketball game to Michael Jordan, except this guy is a serious loser and Jordan is perpetually cool. Had one guy tell me that that was the scariest Zangief he's ever faced (every time he'd jump in with a kick, I'd SPD him, and I hit it EVERY time, too!). I'm playing Honda much more now, especially against Blanka (Zangief takes a hit EVERY time when attempts to sweep the electric shock. It's bullshit!). Only fought one Akuma, thank GOD. I get so sick of seeing him. Sagat still gives me trouble, though. Can't for the life of me figure out which character to take, as they all seem to get punked. Thinking of giving Cammy a try, as she can go under his fireballs with a cannon drill, and the cannon spike pushes her far enough back to avoid retaliation from a tiger uppercut.

Question: how is it that if we are playing 1-player arcade mode, somebody online can challenge us? Where are they seeing us at?

You must have 'fight requests' turned on. To change that, hit the RB button, that will open up your player and game options. Turn arcade mode fight requests to OFF.

Hmmmm...I have my preferences set to "same skill" level, right? Well, tonight I fight a guy using Ken (of course), I take Zang, and SMOKE him hard, as in two round run, and an UC finish both rounds. So, at the end, he has like 7000 some odd points?! Damn! That was a nice little ego boost! I got a nice chunk added to my battle points from that win, too.

Ok, so I wanna spew some more hatred towards those fucking Shoto characters. One thing that is giving me SERIOUS trouble is the damned heavy jump kick. HOW do you guys defend against/attack it? Most times it's jump in with heavy kick, I block, they hit it and go into a three hit combo with a damn fireball that chips my life gauge, then jump away. What is the best defense against this? Again, it seems to have absolute priority over ALL ground based attacks, and I'm getting goddamn good and SICK of fighting these guys over and over and over (so much so that I'm SERIOUSLY considering returning the damn game, no joke, and I'm apparently not alone in this respect, as I've read a LOT of players are so tired of losing to these characters time and again that they're doing the same thing). I rarely take guys that have purely air defense moves (and if I did, they'd NEVER come out when I needed them to, seriously). Zangief seems to have serious trouble with this. I know his spinning lariat is supposed to be his air defense move, but against ANY Shoto character, it doesn't work. If I take Honda, the Sumo Splash just goes past them, giving them plenty of time to attack when I land. The kick even seems to knock Blanka out of his air roll, and I SWEAR it knocked me out of a shock once! ARRGH! It's maddening! I never had this much trouble against the stupid Shoto characters back in the day. Capcom seems to have just dumped all the winning tools on them, and it sucks, as I've always hated those characters (though I am very proficient with Ken, I never play him because of how much I hate FACING him). I really hate having to take a specific character just to counter another, as nine times out of ten, my opponent waits till I pick a character like a pussy (they should have made it so you can't SEE who the other person takes! Capcom, wake UP!!), and the guys with nice air counters, like El Fuerte and Abel, suck so badly that all it takes is a quick change of strategy to beat them (and again, I know the fireball/uppercut characters have great anti-air moves, but I simply refuse to play them). So, I need some ideas, as I'm stumped about how to go about this.

Ok, as I was going to bed, I decided to go to GameFaqs and check some of the forums, right? Weeellll, I found this site rightchere.

http://www.justin.tv/traditz

They do a stream of matches. You send them a game invite, and you que up, then play them live on camera. Damn, was it ever fun! Only got one match in, but I totally OWNED with big Z! Almost perfected the guy in the third round, too and he juuuust barely got me on the second. He was GOOD too, using a very well timed Cammy. I watched these guys kick ass against everybody most of the night, and I honestly can't believe I won. Got a lot of compliments on their chat room, too. I'm going to be doing this a lot from now on, as it was FUN! Had to wait a while, but hey, it was totally worth it!

I lose to the random flowchart Kens still, it is frustrating because you can just tell they are scrubs players. I try to just pressure them more than usual, and they do the Shoryuken whiff and I throw. I lose when I whiff or botch a command and get hit with the random shoryuken. I just need to tighten my game up and get a few thousand BP. I've heard once you get to around 3000 the Kens and Ryus start disappearing. I'm hovering in the 1000-1200 range, I just got to stick with it.

I lose to the random flowchart Kens still, it is frustrating because you can just tell they are scrubs players. I try to just pressure them more than usual, and they do the Shoryuken whiff and I throw. I lose when I whiff or botch a command and get hit with the random shoryuken. I just need to tighten my game up and get a few thousand BP. I've heard once you get to around 3000 the Kens and Ryus start disappearing. I'm hovering in the 1000-1200 range, I just got to stick with it.

Since getting SFIV the other day, I've encountered players with over 1000 bps who play like scrubs with either Ryu or Ken. My answer to Shotoken scrubs? I play Bison, and it really pisses them off. If they play cheap, I play cheap. I got tired of playing fair when all they do is hadokens and shoryukens. I know most Ryu/Ken players like to throw a fireball at the beginning of each match, so I charge Bison's head stomp at the very beginning and it gets them 9 out of ten times.

It confuses them and throws their game completely off kilter. Bison's scissor kick is also great after a blocked shoryuken (dragon punch) followed up by a slide, and then with a barrage of weak punches connected with another scissor kick. This usually dazes the player; I lead into a throw, jump back, and charge for a psycho crusher, head stomp, or scissor kick move depending on their next attack. I have yet to lose to a Shotoken scrub since returning to my old boss favorite Bison. I used to play in local Street Fighter 2 tournaments, so I am very familiar with the characters and how they play. I won’t use a cheap character, or use cheap moves, if someone selects a non-cheap character and / or doesn’t play cheaply, but watch out if they do!

I hate being cheap, but when you encounter 25 Ryu/Ken players during the course of 30 matches, you begin to formulate a plan to get back at them lol :cool:

Edit: I'm playing Ranked matches, of course,.

Edited by STGuy1040

My BP has gone over 1500 since I picked up E. Honda. Won 20 in a row also. Ran into a flurry of Akumas, when they do their air fireball, I do my headbutt, soars under the fireball and smacks them right in the gut when they land. I then jump straight up then FP, then hundred hand slap.

Beating ken/ryu scrubs is fun! Especially when you destroy a 2000+ scrub akuma.

Which move is your headbutt? You mean the charge back then F+HP?

I challenge your E. Honda with my E. Honda (or my Blanka)! Maybe I can learn a thing from you, I only have like 700 BP. I can battle you tonight anytime from 7PM thru 10PM EST so PM me if you want to do it - I don't know how to fight somebody I know yet. I am REAL CAFEMA.

I challenge your E. Honda with my E. Honda (or my Blanka)! Maybe I can learn a thing from you, I only have like 700 BP. I can battle you tonight anytime from 7PM thru 10PM EST so PM me if you want to do it - I don't know how to fight somebody I know yet. I am REAL CAFEMA.

I have to do laundry tonight, but I'll see what I can do. Sounds good, I can't wait to face you! And yes I mean the charge back, F+FP.

I have to do laundry tonight, but I'll see what I can do. Sounds good, I can't wait to face you! And yes I mean the charge back, F+FP.

We need a rematch too, let's see if you can beat my Cammy now! ;)

The best thing I've found so far for the beginning of the match with Zangief is to do a Fierce Banishing Flat right out of the gate. If they throw a fireball, it usually snuffs it and give me a hit, which I can sometimes combo into a SPD. If they stand still or back up, it allows me to close the distance very quickly, then do a SPD before they expect. If they jump straight up, I usually take a hit, and if they jump straight back, it just closes a bit of distance. If they jump AT me, however, I do the SPD motion, and it usually grabs them from the back side! I am really lovin' Big Z, he's actually one of the most fun characters to play I've found yet, and I NEVER played him back in the day.

Slowly moving up, raised my BP from 1100 to over 1400 today. Got my 10 ranked wins in a row achievement...hell I don't even need to play ranked anymore really since I got that. I'm surprised that's the extent of achievements for Ranked play.

Also completed the Hard Trials for Cammy finally. Got some nice icons and gold titles. Those trials are amongst the hardest things I've ever had to accomplish in a video game. I spent all week on Challenge mode, between Survival and Trials, and it significantly improved my game. I was really able to practice cancelling alot since it was required in the trials, that helps out so much for pulling off combos. Now I can do a double cannon spike using the FDAC, and learned how to do the ground cannon strike with Cammy. She's really good I think, underrated, but I think more people are coming around on her. She eats shoto players for breakfast. I demolished 3 Sagats tonight, and a couple of Akumas.

Akuma players can be hilarious, you can see their character jump back and jiggle a bit as they try to perform a Raging Demon that's not going to hit me anyway, it's like Thanks for the free Ultra combo brah!

Cammy is a good character, but you really have to watch your moves, and let your opponents make mistakes that you can capitalize on. She would seem, at first, to be an offensive character, with her speed and air priority, but I find her best played defensively, putting the game at your pace. The Cannon Drill is WAY easy to punish, and hard, as in Zangief Ultra Combo punish, if it's blocked. The Cannon Spike is very good at playing keep away, though, but some characters can hit you as you're landing if they block. What gives me trouble is her odd Hooligan throws, man, those will really throw your game off if you're not careful. The Spinning Fist is ok as a pressure move, but once again, easy to punish if blocked. Her super makes you block low, which seriously screws with me sometimes. Overall, Cammy is great if you have lots of patience and can force your opponent into doing stupid things.

Seriously, guys, give the Traditz stream some love, it's GREAT fun. Played them twice tonight, three matches each. Went six for six, with a perfect to boot! Hehe. They're good, but they all admit that they have trouble with Zangief, and he's my main, so...They're also hosting a HUUUUGE tournament on April 4th, with 90 people already signed up, and the cap will be at 128. I can't play, unfortunately, as I don't know how long it will last, but if you have the time to spare, I suggest joining.

• 2 weeks later...
good games to keilbaca.

Definitely some good games ^_^

Amanda was sleeping, so that's about the only time I have a chance to play anything.

I'll be sure to add all of you on XBL, and I try to sneak on mainly on sunday afternoons. Heh.

I have to admit, despite not really liking Street Fighter, I'm very impressed how they've finally taken the game out of the stone age with the new visuals. For the first time in 15 years, Street Fighter is visually impressive again! And this time its for more than the way the floor is animated. I really wish SNK/Playmore had done this with KOF 12 instead of the antiquated path they followed.

I'm almost tempted to buy SF4, although I'd probably get it for the PS3.

You know, it's funny. Despite owning a multitude of their games, and praising many of them as my all time favorites, I truly, deeply despise Capcom. Why? Difficulty. They seem to focus less on balanced gameplay that everyone can enjoy and more on seeing if they can one-up all the other companies with just stupidly insane difficulty. It's the same with SNK. I own a TON of their games, yet hate them utterly and completely. Weire, I know. It's just that the designers seem so damned arrogant to me for making games SO hard. Like Mega Man 9. I will NEVER own a copy of it, because at this stage in my life, with my physical dexterity degraded so much, I would never be able to finish it. Even great games like Resident Evil are sometimes crippled by insane difficulty. If I set a game to the easiest difficulty setting, I expect it to be EASY. Computer controlled characters should NOT use supers and just spam the hell out of special moves and beat you into the dirt on the easiset level, dammit! Ever played SVC Chaos? Goenitz? All he does is that stupid tornado pillar move over and over and over and over and over and OVER. It's ridiculous! Marvel Vs. Capcom? The methods of unlocking all the special characters permanently is just the craziest thing you've ever seen in you LIFE. Never die once, finish 5 rounds with super cross over combos, use all your special helpers, get all first attacks. And that's just for ONE character!!!

Have you tried doing the trials? They're NUTS. I can't even get past Vega's second one, because I can't do those stupid charge down type supers. The ONLY one I've managed to get all the way through is Zangief's, because he's never been a character that relied on combos very much (neither do I, actually). At least I was able to unlock all the characters, but even that took some doing, as I had to find a character that I could consistently beat Seth's cheap ass with, AND pull off their super combos easily (I went with Cammy, and managed to do it with her).

The Mortal Kombat games, while difficult, weren't nearly as bad. Yeah, the final bosses were usually really cheap, but you could usually find a character or a move that you could spam and squeak out a win. Ever tried beating Bison on level 8 of SF2 Turbo for the SNES with Dhalsim? I've done it ONCE, and that's when I was training for the championship tournament that year. I've never done it since, not even gotten close.

Oh, man, had THE funniest thing EVER happen today. Playing a ranked match, guy uses Akuma (fuckin' NATCH), he's got his headphones on. Doesn't talk much, but I hear him occasionally. I finished BOTH rounds by SPDing him out of his super/ultra combos! He'd initiate it just as I was starting to land from a jump, then I'd do the command and pull him out of it! Omg, I have NEVER heard anyone scream FUCK that loud in my life! Totally hilarious! I rarely had a chance to do any other attacks except for the SPD during the entire match, though, so it was kind of a weird matchup.