IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 9: 1942

Deteacher

Control a WWII-style plane over 32 vertically scrolling sea and landscapes. Shoot various types of enemy planes. Collect a variety of weapon power-ups.

post-9712-1235860997_thumb.jpg post-9712-1235861005_thumb.png post-9712-1235861013_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: 1942

Released By: Capcom, 1984

Game Mode: Default settings (2 lives, normal difficulty, bonus lives at 20K, 80K and every 80K afterward.)

MAME ROMset: 1942 (set 1)

Chosen By: Max_Mad

ROM Location: http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/55266/ma...1942-set-1.html

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, March 7th, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

BEST TIPS

None yet!

CURRENT HIGH SCORES

1. 337,760 (Max_Mad) [+11]

2. 227,440 (Osbo) [+10]

3. 186,030 (joeypsp) [+9]

4. 170,020 (Blackjack) [+8]

5. 157,570 (darthkur) [+7]

6. 132,830 (SpiceWare) [+6]

7. 51,650 (aftermac) [+5]

8. 51,440 (maximebeauvais) [+4]

9. 43,910 (JellE) [+3]

10. 19,020 (LarcenTyler) [+2]

CURRENT POINT TOTALS

1. SpiceWare [73]

2. aftermac [53]

3. Osbo [46]

4. LarcenTyler [45]

5. maximebeauvais [45]

6. JellE [41]

7. Shannon [35]

8. NE146 [19]

9. Dr Galaga [17]

10. Max_Mad [17]

11. maibock [16]

12. rxd [15]

13. theking21803 [13]

14. Artlover [12]

15. cougar302b [11]

16. Vectorman0 [10]

17. darthkur [9]

18. LaserHawk [6]

19. Mister VCS [6]

20. MrAtari2600 [5]

21. Kurt_Woloch [4]

Edited by Deteacher

1942highscore.png1942highscore2.png

EDIT 2: 186,030 is my new best score :cool:

EDIT: 462,120!! holy eff! good job to Max_Mad that's a killer score man :) . Maybe i should give up :ponder:

36,280 i got the high score for now :D , now i have to defend it :cool: this is one mame rom, i never got for some reason, but its very fun thanks for reminding me about this one. good luck to everyone competing :)

Edited by joeypsp

Seeing as everybody has been playing this game with two lives I am removing my score from play. I will post my new score soon - using two lives only.

Ahhhhhhh 1942. This game was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Used to play the heck out of it at the local bowling alley. I remember never being able to beat the huge plane boss on lvl 4 or 5 back then...that's no longer a problem these days. Incidentally, I just purchased a Logitech Dual Action joystick to use on my computer and I am glad to say that it works flawlessly with Macmame. (of course, that being said, it also seems to be built rather cheaply - I don't expect the d-pad to last over a year) Having a joystick has really improved my scores as well.

Happy shooting,

Max Mad

post-22627-1235931514_thumb.png

Edited by Max_Mad

Ahhhhhhh 1942. This game was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Used to play the heck out of it at the local bowling alley. I remember never being able to beat the huge plane boss on lvl 4 or 5 back then...that's no longer a problem these days. Incidentally, I just purchased a Logitech Dual Action joystick to use on my computer and I am glad to say that it works flawlessly with Macmame. (of course, that being said, it also seems to be built rather cheaply - I don't expect the d-pad to last over a year) Having a joystick has really improved my scores as well.

Happy shooting,

Max Mad

I think I will just give up now! hahaha

Happy shooting,

Max Mad

I think I will just give up now! hahaha

Don't say that! Never give up! Never Surrender! A wise man once said that....or was it a cartoon character.......either way I'm sure it's good advice.

Give it a few more tries. After a while you'll see that there really isn't much to it.

Good Luck,

Max_Mad

""EDIT 2: 186,030 is my new best score :cool:

EDIT: 462,120!! holy eff! good job to Max_Mad that's a killer score man :) . Maybe i should give up :ponder: ""

You should definitely not give up. 186,000 is a great score. If you can score that high now think what you'll be able to do in a couple of days. Then again...maybe you should give up... ;)

Now get out there and shoot down a billion enemy planes. :x

Edited by Max_Mad

Happy shooting,

Max Mad

WOW...any tips for us (us= people that could not go over 100 000) !!!!!

WOW...any tips for us (us= people that could not go over 100 000) !!!!!

Tips......hmmmmmmmmm. Well there isn't much that I can say but here goes.

1. In the early lvl's be as aggressive as you can. The more planes you can shoot down the better the bonus at the end of the level.

2. Take out the big planes as quickly as you can. These are easy to fight on their own but when a bunch of little planes are hunting you at the same time things can become difficult.

3. Every once in a while a little plane will come out of one of the bottom corners of the screen and fly straight up and off the screen. If you can shoot these planes before they escape they will provide you with a cool 5000 point bonus.

4. When you get the twin planes power up - abuse it as long as you can. This is the best power up in the game and gives you a significantly wider fire pattern.

5. There are two buttons in this game. Get used to using the roll button. If you time things properly you can roll away from any impending death. In a way this button gives you the ability to stretch your three lives into nine. Of course, timing is everything.

There really isn't much more advice that I can give. Hope this helps though.

Take care,

Max Mad

your three lives into nine

3 lives? I'm only getting 2 :ponder:

Yep - in MAME while running the game - TAB -> DIP SWITCHES shows 2 lives. I see it can be set to 1, 2, 3 or 5. There's also a Difficulty setting, it's at Normal, as well as a Bonus Life setting that's at 20K, 80K, 80K+

I guess we need to start including with Dip Switch settings when we submit the games...

Edited by SpiceWare

Here are the dip switch settings that I have been using. I'm pretty sure these are the default. As for an .inp file - I'll see what I can do. I'm using Macmame, which does allow me to record my games...just not sure if you'll be able to play them back. I'll record my next session - who knows? Maybe it'll work.

post-22627-1236009946_thumb.png

Yep - in MAME while running the game - TAB -> DIP SWITCHES shows 2 lives. I see it can be set to 1, 2, 3 or 5. There's also a Difficulty setting, it's at Normal, as well as a Bonus Life setting that's at 20K, 80K, 80K+

I guess we need to start including with Dip Switch settings when we submit the games...

Same here.

I suppose we should all verify our settings to get on the same page this week. Are we agreed that 3 lives should be the standard, or 2?

Same here.

I suppose we should all verify our settings to get on the same page this week. Are we agreed that 3 lives should be the standard, or 2?

I was unaware that two lives was the standard. Thought 3 lives was the norm. I'm happy to switch to 2 if that's how everybody wants to play it.

I saved a replay - got a score of 312,000 but I can't post it here. How am I supposed to save a replay so that I can show it to people. Is there a way to compress the file to a ridiculously small size? Also, while I am recording my replay my game stutters on occasion, making the game that much more difficult. Any solutions? I'm running a G4 Mac so I figured that wouldn't be an issue.