IGNORED

Could an LP or wax cylinder hold a supercharger game?

Godzilla

Alright, Took a supercharger tape and put it into mp3 format, sent it to ipod. From the Ipod I sent to one of those kidz am broadcaster radio kits from radioshack. Received it with my crystal radio, sent it back to the pc through soundcard input. Transfered it to another pc in a trailerpark with satellite broadband, had my buddy there burn it to cd, sent it to my sisters place where she copied back to cassette and sent it back to me, played it and it worked good enough!! Impossible!!

Someone top that!!

I had someone convert the binary bits of a 2600 rom to smoke-signals and had a native tribe send the game 40 miles across the brush to a hut in the wilderness, where they fed the bits in one at a time to specially modified smoke-signal compatible supercharger. aw yea, baby.

smoke-signal compatible supercharger? yeh, ok. But that could work with a basic photocell and lightsource. The smoke would interrupt the light beam. Smoke signals are binary in nature, aren't they? yes..

What about Morse Code? Could we somehow work that into the transmission medium?

And for the grandprize, someone for chrissakes connect a Zoetrope and scanning photocell (gear driven by the rotating drum) to read a ups-style moving barcode (stored in each frame of the zoetrope).. I would estimate we could get about 20 kbytes with a setup like that. yehbaby!

Alright, Took a supercharger tape and put it into mp3 format, sent it to ipod. From the Ipod I sent to one of those kidz am broadcaster radio kits from radioshack. Received it with my crystal radio, sent it back to the pc through soundcard input. Transfered it to another pc in a trailerpark with satellite broadband, had my buddy there burn it to cd, sent it to my sisters place where she copied back to cassette and sent it back to me, played it and it worked good enough!!

Hey! I did that too... (except I emulated everything).

The important thing would be to play it on a mechanical television.

Already been done. It's a little known fact that the VCS was around in 1931. In fact here's a photo to prove it. Here we have a woman relaxing as she enjoys a fun filled new 2600 game on her Western Television Corp mechanical TV. :D

post-10357-1236699567_thumb.jpg

And here she's having a blast playing the less the appreciated adaptation of Pac-Man, a full 49 years before it was released in the arcades.

post-10357-1236700174_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur

Frivolity aside (I know, I know, why start now?) I really do want to try getting a Supercharger file on vinyl.

I've been fiddling with the source code to MAKEWAV, and it's not quite behaving as I would like. While I'm banging my head against that particular wall (I'll figure it out, eventually) I've been wondering about something else. MAKEWAV normally spits out WAVs that use a square waveform, but does have an option to use sine waves instead. Does anybody think sine waves would be more vinyl-friendly than squares?

At $60 (US) a pop, I want this experiment to be successful on the first try :)

And if that doesn't work, then I can always try connecting a microphone to the Supercharger and carefully gargling the file into it...

I was expecting a lot of either (1) nothing or (2) what a stupid idea :)

Nothing will happen, what a stupid idea! :roll:

Come on, you should have known better. This is AtariAge! Heck, I bet you could get someone to make disk drive for the 2600 if you dared them.

Tempest