IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

All fixed. Wasn't too difficult, actually.

Try this one:

Unfortuantely, it appears my compiling skills stink. I can't get MESS to compile.

Hopefully, this will make it into the official distribution of MESS....Thanks, Underball - It's still very much appreciated.

-Trebor

EDIT: It seems the values Bob used for Inky in Jr. Pac-Man is different from the ones used in Pac-Man Collection. Even without an updated palette, Inky shows as "blue" under MESS 0.130 for Jr. Pac-Man, but in Pac-Man Collection Inky is "green". Regardless, it still would be great to have the palette in MESS officially updated with the better values.

Edited by Trebor

Good elaborate April fool's joke. I didn't really notice this thread until I saw what was posted on the front page. Had I joined in before that was there, I probably would have fallen for this.

Nice to see that a homebrew version is no joke. I'll have to check this out later.

Hey guys, just a quick question? Will any of the 7800 Emulators work on a Computer using Windows Vista Home Premium and a 64-Bit Operating System? Just thought I'd ask since I've never tried any of the Emulators before...

Thanks Guys...

ProSystem works on my brother's Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Haven't tried 64-bit.

However, it always pops up that annoying dialog asking for permission to run it. The only way to permanently fix this is to move the Prosystem folder to your desktop, use the file properties to unlock all the files, then move it back to program files.

Trying to unlock it while in the Program Files folder won't work. I fought with that last time I was on his computer.

I love this game. Super PM and JrPM are the 2 Pac-man games that I never got to play much at the arcades. Should have known Bob was up to something once he finished Super PM.

I have played only a few times but I noticed that pellets that that have been touched by the fruit disappear when you die. I remember they stayed after death (atthe arcade or the 8bit version) and I would still have to eat them.

Edited by Almost Rice

Thanks again, everyone :)

I love this game. Super PM and JrPM are the 2 Pac-man games that I never got to play much at the arcades. Should have known Bob was up to something once he finished Super PM.

I have played only a few times but I noticed that pellets that that have been touched by the fruit disappear when you die. I remember they stayed after death (atthe arcade or the 8bit version) and I would still have to eat them.

Hey Dude! :)

Actually, I've been using MAME as a guide, and normally the 'big dots' disappear when you die. The only time they remain is when the big dots are the only thing left on the screen (no small dots or energizers). In that instance they get 'reverted' back to small dots.

This will get a cart release when I finish the intermissions (which is taking longer than to do the actual game) :-/ I was considering for a while skipping the intermissions, but none of the other versions have them, so that would make this unique. I just wish they weren't so darn intricate.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

CRAP!!!

I forgot all about that!!!! :x

I even went through the trouble to replace the monster shapes with Atari's, so nobody would identify mine. :(

This was the next bin to be posted; it works (you can complete levels now), but watch what happens when you press 'pause'.

I'll post the current version when I get home tonight.

BTW, the Left difficulty switch changes the number of starting lives (A=3, B=5) and the right difficulty switch controls the player speed (A=Normal, B=Fast)

Bob

The academy award goes to Bobby C!

Albert get best supporting actor!

Nice joke and nice job all around!

:D

Edited by Gorf

Actually, I've been using MAME as a guide, and normally the 'big dots' disappear when you die. The only time they remain is when the big dots are the only thing left on the screen (no small dots or energizers). In that instance they get 'reverted' back to small dots.

Cool, I guess it was from the 8bit version that I remembered it from.

All fixed. Wasn't too difficult, actually.

Try this one:

Unfortuantely, it appears my compiling skills stink. I can't get MESS to compile.

Hopefully, this will make it into the official distribution of MESS....Thanks, Underball - It's still very much appreciated.

-Trebor

EDIT: It seems the values Bob used for Inky in Jr. Pac-Man is different from the ones used in Pac-Man Collection. Even without an updated palette, Inky shows as "blue" under MESS 0.130 for Jr. Pac-Man, but in Pac-Man Collection Inky is "green". Regardless, it still would be great to have the palette in MESS officially updated with the better values.

did you get the chance to submit it to the official CVS?

I haven't had a proper MESS compile environment on my machien for a while. Especially now that I've converted my main machine to a dual boot Vista/iHackintosh machine.

I'll see if I can get ti to compile in xUbuntu on my PSP Dev virtualbox setup.

Just been playing my 5200 repro cartridge, and apart from not having to have the hassle of setting up the Redemption adapter every time I want to play, can someone tell me how the 7800 version will be better? I'm guessing a few things it'll have...

1. No flicker

2. No bug whereby you can't finish a maze if you die when an energizer is being destroyed

3. Intermissions

Anything else? The 5200 version is so good, so how's about convincing me a little as to why I should buy the 7800 version? :cool:

Edited by Chris-in-NJ

Hi Guys:

@NinjaWarrior: I'm not sure exactly when Jr. Will be finished. If I was to not include the intermissions, it would be finished now. I would like to do those, so I can only say once I get these done (and add an Easter Egg) it will be ready. :) I also have two other non-programming projects I am working on at the same time, so that will slow me down a little.

@Chris-in-NJ: Nobody should buy the 7800 version. But the reason? For the same reason you would buy the 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man instead of/in addition to the 5200 version. ;)

Edited by PacManPlus

Here I thought we were supposed to buy it because you programmed it! :P

Goes into spiel..

Hi, It's Me, Chickybaby from Atari Age. You'll be saying wow every time you play this game. It's like Pac-Man but only better. A regular Pac-Man game for the 2600 can't even touch this kind of fun. This is programmed especially for your 7800. Jr. PacMan has 20X the fun of an average game! Programmed by PacManPlus -You know he always makes good stuff. Play it in your free time, play it with your kids, your family members, when you're supposed to be working, have marathons with your friends!... Jr Pac-Man, You'll be saying Pac-Wow Every time.

*testimonial* I can't live without it. I just love this game! All I can say is Pac-Wow!...

You following me fellow AA members? Jr. Pac-Man- It just sells itself. And if you order as soon as it's available he'll even include Intermissions and Easter Eggs absolutely free!!!

*announcer voice* Jr. Pac-Man is not available in stores and Programmed by PacManPlus. Beware of Jr. Pac-Man imitators. Look for it, coming soon to an AA order thread near you! :D

I know that was awful but I just couldn't resist. :rolling:

Hi Guys:

@NinjaWarrior: I'm not sure exactly when Jr. Will be finished. If I was to not include the intermissions, it would be finished now. I would like to do those, so I can only say once I get these done (and add an Easter Egg) it will be ready. :) I also have two other non-programming projects I am working on at the same time, so that will slow me down a little.

@Chris-in-NJ: Nobody should buy the 7800 version. But the reason? For the same reason you would buy the 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man instead of/in addition to the 5200 version. ;)

Hi Guys:

Thanks..

PacManPlus,

I've come across a "bug". In your port, when the Kite is moving across the top row of dots in the maze, the tail of the kite affects the dots below any part which has an opening in the maze. The arcade version does not do that. Furthermore, if/when you die, it results in those affected dots also disappearing which should not be the case as they shouldn't have been "infected" in the first place:

7800:

post-18-1238840596_thumb.pngpost-18-1238840604_thumb.png

post-18-1238840608_thumb.pngpost-18-1238840612_thumb.png

ARCADE:

post-18-1238840640_thumb.pngpost-18-1238840644_thumb.png

post-18-1238840648_thumb.pngpost-18-1238840653_thumb.png

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

Hey Trebor :)

I actually already fixed this, I just haven't posted the new binary yet because I'm trying to get somewhere with the intermissions.

I also fixed the 'big dot' sound being softer than the normal dot sound, and the bonus items exploding off-screen.

@Chickybaby: lol! you are too funny ;)

Thanks! :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Atari paid GCC for all their work. We know this. Atari never released this game, so it was never a commercially viable product. therefore, no one is losing anything by the ROM being made public, because there's no way to gauge what it "might" have made, had it been released.

Since Atari paid GCC, it belongs to Atari then does'nt it? Either way it would not have belonged to any of us.

Justifiy it all you want but had this been a true proto, this distribution of it would have been what I

consider piracy....oh and so would any judge as past verdict have shown. Code completion has

NOTHING to do with who has a right to what. You would think you'd have learned from my personal

experiences with Gorf Classic for Jaguar, just how important these IP's are to a company, even Midway

who has not touched the Gorf I.P. since the eighties......this makes it not ONE bit less their property as

I had found out the hard way. There is also no longer a time limit on on IP's...they are for life.

Atari paid GCC for all their work. We know this. Atari never released this game, so it was never a commercially viable product. therefore, no one is losing anything by the ROM being made public, because there's no way to gauge what it "might" have made, had it been released.

Since Atari paid GCC, it belongs to Atari then does'nt it? Either way it would not have belonged to any of us.

Justifiy it all you want but had this been a true proto, this distribution of it would have been what I

consider piracy....oh and so would any judge as past verdict have shown. Code completion has

NOTHING to do with who has a right to what. You would think you'd have learned from my personal

experiences with Gorf Classic for Jaguar, just how important these IP's are to a company, even Midway

who has not touched the Gorf I.P. since the eighties......this makes it not ONE bit less their property as

I had found out the hard way. There is also no longer a time limit on on IP's...they are for life.

A little late to the party are we?

Please don't let this thread disintegrate into a pointless argument. If you guys wanna argue about it, how about PM's or starting another topic.

Here I thought we were supposed to buy it because you programmed it! :P

Goes into spiel..

Hi, It's Me, Chickybaby from Atari Age. You'll be saying wow every time you play this game. It's like Pac-Man but only better. A regular Pac-Man game for the 2600 can't even touch this kind of fun. This is programmed especially for your 7800. Jr. PacMan has 20X the fun of an average game! Programmed by PacManPlus -You know he always makes good stuff. Play it in your free time, play it with your kids, your family members, when you're supposed to be working, have marathons with your friends!... Jr Pac-Man, You'll be saying Pac-Wow Every time.

*testimonial* I can't live without it. I just love this game! All I can say is Pac-Wow!...

You following me fellow AA members? Jr. Pac-Man- It just sells itself. And if you order as soon as it's available he'll even include Intermissions and Easter Eggs absolutely free!!!

*announcer voice* Jr. Pac-Man is not available in stores and Programmed by PacManPlus. Beware of Jr. Pac-Man imitators. Look for it, coming soon to an AA order thread near you! :D

I know that was awful but I just couldn't resist. :rolling:

That's hilarious!

Now we just need to contact Ronco to get an infomercial for late-night TV.

"The Ronco Pac-O-Matic!"

Gorf, dude - seriously.

NO ONE cares about this but you. go take your crusade to someone who cares.

I actually already fixed this, I just haven't posted the new binary yet because I'm trying to get somewhere with the intermissions.

I also fixed the 'big dot' sound being softer than the normal dot sound, and the bonus items exploding off-screen.

You're always the professional and the perfectionist.

Excellent work. You have done (and continue to do) an amazing job.

Looking forward to the finish product...And as usual I can't wait to buy the cart.

Additionally, *thank you* for making the binaries available to the community, as you know I will buy the cart but do not have an actual Atari system hooked up to any television due to circumstance. So the only "real" playing I will do with this is via emulators.

Awesome work, Bob!

-Trebor