IGNORED

How do I ship to Germany AND protect myself?

MrRetroGamer

Most just use regular air mail and hope for the best.

Well, I have always used regular air mail in the past, but the last time I did an international transaction (to Belgium) I got hit with an item not received dispute and paypal started playing games with my account for about a month. I realized that the buyer could have won the dispute if they had responded to paypal during that time, and I would have been out my product and funds. So I really want to make sure this cannot happen again.

The only way to 100% avoid having any problems is to use Global Express Mail, which is quite expensive.

I agree here......especially the fact that it is the only way you can track an international piece of mail (if using USPS).......you can also try Fed Ex or DHL, the ship worldwide (they track as well).

In the future, make sure you stipulate the cost of the above to the buyer since it is more on the expensive side.

Good luck!!!! :)

This hasn't been tested by anyone yet, but...

In the "Terms" section of my auction, I have a bit about international buyers. One of the terms is that the buyer agrees to accept proof of shipment as proof of delivery. If not, they are instructed not to bid.

Not sure if paypal would go along though.

According to PayPal the only method of shipment that they will accept from USPS is Express Mail when shipping internationally. It is expensive - around $30 give or take a few bucks depending on location for a 1 pound package.

The one that I have noticed though is that Express Mail tracking doesn't show delivery to all countries. Most countries do show the items delivered but some do not. In addition if the item is over $250 PayPal requires signature proof. If the item is over $250 the seller pretty much has to ship FedEx or UPS to international locations because I don't believe Express offers signature proof.

Well, I have always used regular air mail in the past, but the last time I did an international transaction (to Belgium) I got hit with an item not received dispute and paypal started playing games with my account for about a month. I realized that the buyer could have won the dispute if they had responded to paypal during that time, and I would have been out my product and funds. So I really want to make sure this cannot happen again.

I wondered who else is ordering stuff of Atariage from Belgium... :ponder:

I have had terrible experiences buying from ebay .... most sellers only use regular airmail even if they charge much more.

There is a service called "registration" or "cerficate of delivery" that protects the shipping and is easily trackable between postal offices, you are required to sign a postal form to receive the article.

I know it can be a pain in the ass to receive a paypal claim, but you have to feel being on the opposite side; its as painful to buy something from a seller that do not care if the package arrives, registration o CoD should be a must for any seller shipping to other countries.

A month ago i purchased a few dreamcast games and even if i paid 15 usd for shipping to Mexico; the games were lost because the guy used regular mail ... that costs like 6 usd ... and i do not know if i will claim my money in paypal because it was a sale inside the forum.

I know it can be a pain in the ass to receive a paypal claim, but you have to feel being on the opposite side; its as painful to buy something from a seller that do not care if the package arrives, registration o CoD should be a must for any seller shipping to other countries.

But why should an honest seller be responsible for what happens or doesn't happen to a package after they send it? I can't control the mail in my own country, and I certainly can't control what happens when it gets to the destination country or anywhere in between. If the buyer does not get the package that I sent, that doesn't mean I didn't send it. I am certainly sorry and upset if I hear that, but again, it doesn't mean I didn't send it or I didn't take care in packaging it and getting it on it's way. I did what I was supposed to do and put faith in the system to do the rest. Unfortunately I cannot hand deliver items to other countries, as much as I'd like to go and visit some of those places! :D If I took care and packaged up the item in a nice sturdy box and it arrives all flattened out like a steamroller ran it over, is that my fault? How can I prevent that?

I've heard horror stories about customs problems in other countries, things removed from packages, corruption and theft, etc - how can that be an honest sellers fault?

Plus, everyone wants to keep costs down, but the US Mail service charges crazy prices for most international mail services and any extra service like registration. The buyers don't want to pay for the extra cost so it goes the cheapest way and we have to put faith that it does get where it's going eventually. Inside the US, we put an envelope in a mailbox with a 42 cent stamp and we don't usually concern ourselves that it WON'T get to where it is supposed to go, so we assume this will hold true if we are sending internationally.

I've done MANY international transactions and 99% of the time there is/was no problem.

But why should an honest seller be responsible for what happens or doesn't happen to a package after they send it? I can't control the mail in my own country, and I certainly can't control what happens when it gets to the destination country or anywhere in between. If the buyer does not get the package that I sent, that doesn't mean I didn't send it. I am certainly sorry and upset if I hear that, but again, it doesn't mean I didn't send it or I didn't take care in packaging it and getting it on it's way. I did what I was supposed to do and put faith in the system to do the rest. Unfortunately I cannot hand deliver items to other countries, as much as I'd like to go and visit some of those places! :D If I took care and packaged up the item in a nice sturdy box and it arrives all flattened out like a steamroller ran it over, is that my fault? How can I prevent that?

I've heard horror stories about customs problems in other countries, things removed from packages, corruption and theft, etc - how can that be an honest sellers fault?

Plus, everyone wants to keep costs down, but the US Mail service charges crazy prices for most international mail services and any extra service like registration. The buyers don't want to pay for the extra cost so it goes the cheapest way and we have to put faith that it does get where it's going eventually. Inside the US, we put an envelope in a mailbox with a 42 cent stamp and we don't usually concern ourselves that it WON'T get to where it is supposed to go, so we assume this will hold true if we are sending internationally.

I've done MANY international transactions and 99% of the time there is/was no problem.

I totally disagree.

A good seller should protect the buyer from losses, after all, why buy if you can lose the money and the package ?.

You can have the attitude of "i shipped, i don't care what happens after", but you are failing to complete the service you were paid for. Many sellers also do not care about proper packing of the products they sell, arguing stupid things like "materials for packing are expensive and the buyer don't want to pay for it"; for me that is shitty seller.

Can't you honestly accept an answer like "i shipped the game, its not my problem" from a seller ?. If i buy something i at least expect that the seller protects my purchase as much as possible, there will be extreme cases when a package can be lost even by UPS, but we are talking about a worst case scenario.

I'll say it again, I CAN'T control what happens to the package after I ship it, period, and that does not make me an irresponsible seller. I can't MAKE it get where it's supposed to go, many thousand's of miles away, after it leaves my hands, as much as I want it to. I don't have magic powers. Any buyer who buys from a reputable seller should understand that. If the buyer wants to be protected from losses and is willing to accept the monetary cost of those services and pay for them (tracking, insurance, registered), I have no problem with that, but how many buyers want to spend $25 dollars to ship a 15-20 dollar item??? If the BUYER feels that the seller is not trustworthy, they should not do business witht hem in the first place. Remember the seller does not have much choice in who their buyers are, but the buyer can choose who they want to buy from, at least on eBay. Your views such that the seller is at fault if the package doesn't show up after they shipped it are why lots of sellers don't want to conduct international transactions anymore - who needs that kind of hassle??

Edited by MrRetroGamer

That is not entirely correct, but you should know more than i.

I charge for ALL of my packages to the USA 4.00 usd .... i usually ship boxed games on bigger cardboard boxes and i ALWAYS use registered airmail; i am not talking about shipping UPS or DHL all the time, i am talking about shipping a game cheap but making sure that arrives; and IT WORKS ALL THE TIME, i am not an expert on ebay but i have 3 selling account with 570, 278 and 315 feedback on them and most of my feedback are from sales.

Besides registering, there are many services that cost only a few cents or 2 usd max to ship a game internationally and internally trackable. Should you risk a package for 1 usd ???? ... because many US sellers have done that to me and i think that its their fault that i lose my money and my games; those sellers deserve a paypal claim.

And to answer your question :

I charge 7.50 usd to Germany by registered airmail ... and the cost of regular airmail is 7.00 usd :S

There is a line between bad luck and irresponsibility, don't be so cocky to think that once you ship an item, your job has ended.

Besides registering, there are many services that cost only a few cents or 2 usd max to ship a game internationally and internally trackable. Should you risk a package for 1 usd ???? ... because many US sellers have done that to me and i think that its their fault that i lose my money and my games; those sellers deserve a paypal claim.

And to answer your question :

I charge 7.50 usd to Germany by registered airmail ... and the cost of regular airmail is 7.00 usd :S

There is a line between bad luck and irresponsibility, don't be so cocky to think that once you ship an item, your job has ended.

I don't know what your mail system charges, but you don't know what the US Postal service rates are for international service obviously. You can go to the USPS site, click on international rates, find your country and see what a package and extra services including registration costs, I assure you it's not a few cents! Regular airmail on an 8 ounce package is $5 but registration costs almost another $11! If you want to pay extra, I would ship it any way you want, but for the cheapest option, yes, my job is done after I ship it, because again HOW CAN I CONTROL WHAT HAPPENS TO IT AFTER I SHIP IT?

post-41-1236902692_thumb.jpg

post-41-1236902886_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrRetroGamer

Why don't you avoid the cheapest option ?, that is one way to control problems with lost packages.

I do not know about all the services that USPS offers but i know that they are cheaper options to registering that cost 0.42 to 1.70 usd and i know that PRIORITY MAIL is internally trackable between postal offices, all the packages that sellers have sent me by priority mail have always arrived and i have to sign to get the package. Paypal Shipping is always the best option to protect you and the buyer.

An example of this service is Sara Holmquist :

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...game_connection

She charges 7.00 usd for regular shipping and 1.30 extra for insurance. I have bought at least 60 games from her and i ALWAYS receive the games from her :D

International customers are used to pay a bit high for shipping, do not offer the cheapest service for us; the only ones that lose are buyers.

Guys, it all comes down to whats agreed to by the parties. If I as seller state in an Ebay auction that I take no responsibility for packages lost in the mail, then so long as I have proof I sent the package, that should be enough and the buyer should have no recourse against me through evay, paypal or any other means. If he isn't happy with my terms as seller, then he shouldn't bid on my auctions.

If however, I take repsponsibility in my auctions for the package arriving safely, then the buyer should have recourse against me if the package is stolen. As seller, if I were to take that kind of responsibility, I would insist on having adequate tracking/insurance, which would be at the buyers expense. Again, if the buyer isnt happy with taht they shouldnt bid.

Why don't you avoid the cheapest option ?, that is one way to control problems with lost packages.

I do not know about all the services that USPS offers but i know that they are cheaper options to registering that cost 0.42 to 1.70 usd and i know that PRIORITY MAIL is internally trackable between postal offices, all the packages that sellers have sent me by priority mail have always arrived and i have to sign to get the package. Paypal Shipping is always the best option to protect you and the buyer.

Someone please show me where I can add options to international packages for $.42 and $1.70. If that is all it costs I would GLADLY pay that out of pocket, but I don't believe the US Postal Service has anything like that. Priority Mail small flat rate box you see listed there for $10.95, according to the USPS states "Tracking to major destinations. Note: Tracking is not available for the Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope or small flat-rate box." So I'd have to spend $26 to get Priority Mail international with tracking available. Your seller listed above is NOT buying insurance on international packages for $1.30, that is a fact, because you cannot BUY insurance on ANYTHING except Express and Global Express.

Edited by MrRetroGamer

I saw this and was concerned by all the responses. PayPal will protect you if you use Priority to Germany. It gives the DC # (Delivery Conformation) and to PayPal that is all the proof they need. I know DC is a totally bad way for PayPal to say the package has been delivered. Believe me I know now. It's not a perfect science but using Priority will protect you if you purchase the label through PayPal. It will give them a direct line to that shipment if a problem arises. That is the only way I will ship to Germany. Most of those guys know how expensive it is to have something shipped there so it's nothing new to them. :cool: :cool:

i've had hundreds of transactions most of them shipped to me directly and rarely had a problem ... i usually ask for flat rate shipping with registration, then the package get delivered directly to me or i have to pick it up at the post office. and it is almost as fast as airmail most of the times.

i recommend writing "old computer parts" or "vintage computer modules" as the customs don't ask for import taxes on computer equipment, only on video games ... this lowers the chances that stuff gets stuck at the customs, which usually delays the arrival about two weeks. but that only happens with highly valued items ...

and of course it is always good to keep the value under 27/28 dollars, mark it as a gift and not including ebay documents, as anything over that sum usually stays at the customs. i always try to include a letter that mentions a trade, so that no money was officially exchanged.

for more expensive items, i would also go for priority with delivery confirmation ...

Edited by jahfish

Someone please show me where I can add options to international packages for $.42 and $1.70. If that is all it costs I would GLADLY pay that out of pocket, but I don't believe the US Postal Service has anything like that. Priority Mail small flat rate box you see listed there for $10.95, according to the USPS states "Tracking to major destinations. Note: Tracking is not available for the Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope or small flat-rate box." So I'd have to spend $26 to get Priority Mail international with tracking available. Your seller listed above is NOT buying insurance on international packages for $1.30, that is a fact, because you cannot BUY insurance on ANYTHING except Express and Global Express.

If the USPS DON'T have that services i can only think that all of this years of purchasing on eBay at that prices has been product of my imagination ... the same for my feedback !!!!!.

If you do not know how to do it, i doesn't means that it don't exist; you should research a bit more and the example i gave you is of a Pro Seller; check the costs of shipping to Mexico and Germany and the "insurance" is 1.30 usd..., the term insurance may refer to DC or similar service, but that is the protection you need.

Use paypal shipping for all your international transactions, they give you free DC.

International shipping is not something you can combine with good luck, there are many US sellers that KNOW how to ship worldwide without problems, the same for me, if i knew that shipping to Italy, USA, France or any other country can risk my profits for online sales, why would i bother selling online ????.

There is a way to do it, you need to research and a visit to your postal office couldn't hurt.

If the USPS DON'T have that services i can only think that all of this years of purchasing on eBay at that prices has been product of my imagination ... the same for my feedback !!!!!.

If you do not know how to do it, i doesn't means that it don't exist; you should research a bit more and the example i gave you is of a Pro Seller; check the costs of shipping to Mexico and Germany and the "insurance" is 1.30 usd..., the term insurance may refer to DC or similar service, but that is the protection you need.

Use paypal shipping for all your international transactions, they give you free DC.

International shipping is not something you can combine with good luck, there are many US sellers that KNOW how to ship worldwide without problems, the same for me, if i knew that shipping to Italy, USA, France or any other country can risk my profits for online sales, why would i bother selling online ????.

There is a way to do it, you need to research and a visit to your postal office couldn't hurt.

Maybe a visit to the US Postal Service international shipping calculator site is in order for you? Please configure a package to your country and let me know what kind of prices and service levels you come up with? :roll:

I am very well versed in the US Postal Service and have been for many years, and I just provided examples to you of the prices they charge, and what kinds of services get you tracking and what kind don't. It's the people in the other countries that seem to think that US sellers are always trying to overcharge them because your local prices are different from ours (I don't make the price that the US Post Office charges). I will tell you something that you don't want to hear or believe, your seller that charges $1.30 for insurance is probably "self insuring" the packages. Thats right, they are obviously a big enough vendor to take the gamble. That means that if you buy their "insurance" and you make a claim, they eat the cost and either refund you or ship another item. I don't dispute that you buy their insurance and you get your packages, BUT it's not real USPS insurance, it's made up. That $1.30 is the same amount they charge for domestic insurance, and I've already explained that the US Postal Service does not sell insurance on airmail or small flat rate priority mail packages. I've already provided information which you refuse to comprehend about the rates the USPS charges, so what more can I tell you if you refuse to understand what I am saying. You can insist you get insurance when you buy from that vendor but unless you are paying for GLOBAL EXPRESS service or ExpressMail, you can't buy USPS insurance.

As just for an FYI, the US Postal Service does not even accept delivery confirmation records as proof of delivery INSIDE THE USA for insurance claims, so doubtful anything outside of the USA would be valid to them as well. The one time I had DC and insurance on a domestic package that didn't get delivered, I made a claim and I said check the DC number, it wasn't delivered. They told me that wasn't enough proof that it wasn't delivered, and I had to have the buyer fill out some paperwork saying that they really did not get what was sent even though the DC said it was never delivered.

Edited by MrRetroGamer