IGNORED

BASIC Rev. C cartridge: ROM soldered in?

wood_jl

I'm going to want to put the REV C rom in an 800XL.

It's been years (decades?) since I confronted this issue and I can't remember what I did.

1) The ROM chips are interchangeable, right? That is, open a REV C cart and take the ROM out and it will indeed replace the one on the motherboard, right?

2) I haven't looked yet, but I'm assuming I am going to desolder the one on the computer. Most 800XLs I've seen were not socketed - at least the Taiwan models. I think I had a Hong Kong that was, but it's been a long time. Assuming it is soldered, it is easier to snip the pins and just desolder them carefully, right? Would you put a socket in (where would I find one for sale?)

3) The reason I don't get the ROM chip itself is it cost as much as a cartridge, and I'll take the free manual and cartridge case - but I AM ASSUMING THE CARTRIDGE ROM IS NOT SOLDERED IN ITSELF. I just can't remember what I did before in 1989..... If anyone can tell me if the carts are socketed, I'd appreciate it (at least REV C carts).

4) Or is this dumb; just get a socket and ROM IC and forget the cartridge?

Thanks; I'm relatively inexperienced (done a very little soldering a long time ago) but I understand the delicate nature of this work. I need whatever is easiest, obviously.

IIRC, the earlier and Hong Kong 800XLs were predominantly socketed.

I'd go for a socket if you don't have one, and I'd prefer a clean remove over snipping - at least that leaves you with a backout plan.

If you can't find the right sockets, I believe you can just buy rows of pins, if you know what I mean - you just trim as much as you need off and solder it in.

2) I haven't looked yet, but I'm assuming I am going to desolder the one on the computer. Most 800XLs I've seen were not socketed - at least the Taiwan models. I think I had a Hong Kong that was, but it's been a long time. Assuming it is soldered, it is easier to snip the pins and just desolder them carefully, right? Would you put a socket in (where would I find one for sale?)

Try Radio Shack (.com). I got a couple there 2-3 years ago.

I just opened my Basic Rev. C cart and the chip is soldered in. The board has room for 2 chips but only 1 is installed.

Redman

Hey thanks, man - I really appreciate it!!! Looks like I'll have to get a ROM chip from one of the few remaining Atari houses. Trouble is, the chip cost as much as an 800XL itself!!!

Thanks again.