IGNORED

1050 Problem

TheRogue

Hi there guys, I've got a problem with my 1050 that is quite unlike the other 1050 threads on this forum. My 1050 powers up fine, passes self diagnostic fine, accesses disks fine, but will not read data from any disks. It only gives boot errors when connected to my XEGS, and when I access it with ProSystem, it gives me a "Cannot determine disk type" error. When I try to write to it with ProSystem, it spins up the drive and says it's formatting, but then halts with a "Drive Failed Format" error. Any idea what the problem is? I just installed a Happy 1050 mod in it, and would really like to start using it.

You can start with checking for a dirty head.

You said you have installed the happy mod, I would check you have the connector from the head is the right way around and is on the pins properly just in case. (thick black earth brade to the rear from memory)

Another thing to try tho unlikely is to reseat/replace the FDC (2793 or 2797)

Other posiabilitys are problems with the circuit board or the head itself.

James

Hi there guys, I've got a problem with my 1050 that is quite unlike the other 1050 threads on this forum. My 1050 powers up fine, passes self diagnostic fine, accesses disks fine, but will not read data from any disks. It only gives boot errors when connected to my XEGS, and when I access it with ProSystem, it gives me a "Cannot determine disk type" error. When I try to write to it with ProSystem, it spins up the drive and says it's formatting, but then halts with a "Drive Failed Format" error. Any idea what the problem is? I just installed a Happy 1050 mod in it, and would really like to start using it.
Edited by sup8pdct

The first disk I tested with was the Happy 1050 diagnostic disk. Then I just grabbed random 5-1/4" disks and tried to format them with prosystem, and also just got errors. I will double check the cables when I get home this afternoon, but I checked them after I installed the Happy 1050 and there was no problem. I think it might be a dirty head. I'll run it for a little while with a head cleaning disk this afternoon. By the way, how long should you leave one of those head cleaning disks in the drive for?

You just opened it and tinkered with the guts.

Therefore, don't bother with head cleaning disks - just do it directly with a cotton bud and head-cleaning fluid.

All the disks do is wipe the gunk to the side, where it'll just pile up and eventually spread itself everywhere again.

OOps, I spoke too soon, the drive will now read disks fine, but when I go to write, ProSystem will just give the same "Drive Failed Format" error. Any ideas what would make it read but not write? Could it be out of allignment? I will give it good cleaning and see what happens.

UPDATE: I cleaned it and the same thing still happens. I also forgot to add that it sometimes makes a knocking noise when it's attempting to format. ANy clues?

UPDATE II: After a VICIOUS cleaning involving a tonne of alcohol and a cleaning disk as well as a program that let me manually step the head one track at a time, I finally have made it consistently write to disks. It doesn't help that a TONNE of the disks I was using were mislabeled HIGH DENSITY disks :x :x :x I ended up cutting a write notch into the disk my Happy 1050 software came on, and at first it wouldn't write to that either, but after the afformentioned vicious cleaning, it now works. So you were all right in a way. I had a misplugged cable, incorrect disks, and dirty heads. You all win. COME ON DOWN!! *price is right music*

Edited by TheRogue

So what prize do we all win? :D :D :D

James

OOps, I spoke too soon, the drive will now read disks fine, but when I go to write, ProSystem will just give the same "Drive Failed Format" error. Any ideas what would make it read but not write? Could it be out of allignment? I will give it good cleaning and see what happens.

UPDATE: I cleaned it and the same thing still happens. I also forgot to add that it sometimes makes a knocking noise when it's attempting to format. ANy clues?

UPDATE II: After a VICIOUS cleaning involving a tonne of alcohol and a cleaning disk as well as a program that let me manually step the head one track at a time, I finally have made it consistently write to disks. It doesn't help that a TONNE of the disks I was using were mislabeled HIGH DENSITY disks :x :x :x I ended up cutting a write notch into the disk my Happy 1050 software came on, and at first it wouldn't write to that either, but after the afformentioned vicious cleaning, it now works. So you were all right in a way. I had a misplugged cable, incorrect disks, and dirty heads. You all win. COME ON DOWN!! *price is right music*

I have had mixed results using HD disks mostly in the negative.

I have heard that HD disks need a stronger head current to write properly.

James

But eh...

Mislabeled high density disks? The last two years I only use high density 5.25" disks, and I have never had any trouble with them.

Isn't it a right idea to use HD 5.25" disks?

Marius

I have had mixed results using HD disks mostly in the negative.

I have heard that HD disks need a stronger head current to write properly.

James

"Upgrading and Repairing PC's" has an excellent chapter on floppies and media. Using HD disks with a DD/SD drive is not recommended, but some folks have had OK results -- just like using DD 3-1/2" disks as HD (with the added sensor hole). I have a bunch of Sony SS/DD 3-1/2" disks that worked beautifully as DS and as HD replacements. These were completely stable over time while other brands wouldn't even format correctly. Whatever they had in that media formulation was great stuff!

-Larry

There is a big difference, in this regard, between 5.25 and 3.5 floppies.

As already mentioned, the main problem of using HD media on DD drives, is that HD media has a much higher coercivity (the intensity of the magnetic field required for recording). On 5.25 floppies, HD ones have a coercivity that is about 15% higher than DD ones. But on 5.25 floppies, the coercivity of HD is more than twice the one on DD ones!

So 3.5 HD disks on DD drives kinda work. 5.25 HD disks on a DD/SD drive like the 1050 will rarely work if at all.