IGNORED

Jaguar - My least favorite Atari Console

AdeptRapier

Jaguar is a fun powerful system that is off to a great start. I think there will be a lot more ground covered on the system in the next decade. Worth having.

My game systems in order...

Right now, probably the Jaguar and 5200 are neck and neck. Strange eh? I was going to say the Atari 800 first, but It's more hastle to load games on the 800 right now (though the 800 has HUNDREDS of games.) Peeved because I tried to find a decent ATR of Wizard of Wor for the 800 lately and could not find it. Fail. The 5200 moves ahead of my beloved computer for a while. :P

The 5200 has the AtariMax 128-in-1 cart for easy selection, and I have the 7800 controller adaptor box, so now the 5200 is an Atari 400 with about 122 easily selectable games. Now that has been fun.

The Jaguar... I have a lot of the collection for that one, so drop in a cartridge and go.

I've had a lot of fun lately on the Jaguar and 5200 high score clubs.

After the 5200 and Jaguar I like the 7800.

Next played is the Lynx. Try to play the high score club games for that.

Lately (and least liked by me) are the 2600 (since I have a 7800, who needs a 2600?) and the Atari ST line.

I'm selling my boxed unit on eBay at the moment. It was a slight wrench but then I've sold a few things lately that I didn't think I'd get rid of (e.g. my MAC/65 cartridge).

The Jag has always been a bit of a novelty item for me. The only decent game I own for it is Tempest 2000. I bought it new for £25 after they'd gone out of production (just like I did with the Vectrex).

However, it's not my least favourite console. That award goes to the 7800 (the Jag is second). Dunno why ... maybe if I start programming one or the other then my opinion might change. I think it's just that they're the Atari machines I had the least fun with. ;) I either bought or was given the other Ataris back in the day. These two came later just to have them.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I never could understand why people bash the 7800 so much and like it less than the 2600... I mean the 7800 can play (nearly) all 2600 games (at least the PAL version does) and so liking it less makes no sense in my opinion ;) Playing choplifter is not the best solution for liking it more, not speak about using the wrong controllers ;) Here in Europe the 7800 came out with great NES style joypads and I really like them and the 7800 has some excellent games which can stand against NES or master system games. I don´t want to say that it is better or equal (maybe it is technically, maybe not), but there are really great games for it...

Okay, I never owned a 5200 and so could not say anything about that system. The graphics look equal to Atari 800 games, but worse than 7800 games and I heard the controllers were lousy (well people say that about Jaguar controllers, too). So I was never big interested in getting that machine.

The Lynx is really great and I got it right after it was released. I still play it today, as I do with my Jaguar, but I have to admit that I also often use an emulator for Lynx as my eyes aren´t getting better, nor the Lynx screen (which was great quality for it´s time) :(

So my ranking of atari consoles is like that:

1. Jaguar - always rules :) I still use it daily when possible and on every party I turn on the great VLM and listen to CD this way

2. Lynx - very great machine with great arcade games and amazing graphics... look at Alpine Games! Technically the best handheld machine until gameboy advance (in my opinion)

3. 7800 - Great arcade games with two player simultan mode (Asteroids DeLuxe, Centipede, Ikari Warriors, Double Dragon...) and some unique gems (Midnite Mutants, Ninja Golf, Alien Brigade...)

4. 2600 - My first video game console. I like it because of games like Pitfall II, Decathlon, Smurph and Solaris which have graphics noone would have expected on this machine when it was released in 1978 ;)

When I put non Atari Systems in, Between the Jaguar and the Lynx there are

Dreamcast - the best console on earth

and

Wii - finally a game system even my wife plays with ;)

I have enjoyed a NES, too, but it´s not close to the feeling I had with my Atari consoles. Playing the Lynx in 1990 (and Jaguar in 1994) while anyone plays gameboy (and SNES or Genesis) gave you the feeling of being an outlaw with superiour technique :)

And when I look at the great community we have, Atari has more spirit than any other system!

Stay Atari ;)

Chris

Edited by Atari_Falcon

Growing up I never had any atari that I remember... My dad said we had an Atari 2600 but it was my older brothers but I was only like 2 and he got rid of it for an NES when I turned 4. When I got my 1st job at 14 I started to collect video games and the Jaguar was the 1st Atari I bought, mostly because of the look of the system I found it strangely awesome. I built up a good sized collection of games (19) for it including AVP, Tempest, Rayman, Protector SE, Cannon Fodder, Doom, and just loved the console since then.

I'm not saying the other ataris are bad but the jag has a special spot in my collection.

Atari Jaguar

Atari 2600 = Atari 7800 since it's backwards compatible

Atari 5200

^ IMO

Edited by cubejunky

Loved Jaguar originally but I think a lot of it was secretly wanting Atari to succeed one last time. Haven't turned it on in over a year. I do find a few of the titles fun but have been toying with whether or not to sell it.

The one I could never get into was the Lynx actually. It was a cool piece of technology but when I owned one (around the time Atari sold them with 4 games after Jaguar's release), I just couldn't get into the games.

As for you 7800 bashers, you suck! :P

Edited by DracIsBack

• 2 weeks later...

I myself love the Jaguar, Atari's best console and Atari's most potential console. Altough the Sega Saturn, PS1 and N64 all killed the Jag in market share and technology, during 93 and 94, the only game on 16 bit platforms that even game close was Hard Drivin and it's sequel Race Drivin, the Jaguar was very easly on par with 32 bit consoles like the 3do and 32x, and far superior to all 16 bit consoles. It was one of the first consoles if not the first to have a constantly 3d liabary. Needless to say the stoneage 2600 was a lot more commercialy sucsessful and to this day represents what the Atari name means. Though the Jag had potential and that must not be forgoten, back in the day however, I had a blast on both Cybermorph and Kasumi Ninja!

The Jaguar is the only Atari system I like! I've never played a Lynx, but want to, and I've had a 2600 and 7800 and I didn't like either of them. I got them in the 90s after I already had a SNES and NES so I didn't "grow up" with it like most of you guys.

There's just something about the Jaguar that I can't explain. Maybe because it was an underdog and failed? I love it and would never sake it!

Hey everyone!

Anyways, I just wondered what everyone else thought on the subject..do you hold the Jag in the same class as the 2600/5200/7800 with just as fond of memories or is the Jaguar in a different place for you?

Though I hold it in similar fondness...it never stood a chance with the horses asses running the company at the time.

Edited by Gorf

The Jaguar is the only Atari system I like! I've never played a Lynx, but want to, and I've had a 2600 and 7800 and I didn't like either of them. I got them in the 90s after I already had a SNES and NES so I didn't "grow up" with it like most of you guys.

There's just something about the Jaguar that I can't explain. Maybe because it was an underdog and failed? I love it and would never sake it!

I agree! - although I don't hate or dislike the 2600, 5200 or 7800 I very much prefer the Jaguar -Jaguar Rules Atari's Roost! :D

Yes the Jaguar it a cool little system, and has something undescribed that draws me to it also. ;)

QUOTE (AdeptRapier @ Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 PM)

Hey everyone!

Anyways, I just wondered what everyone else thought on the subject..do you hold the Jag in the same class as the 2600/5200/7800 with just as fond of memories or is the Jaguar in a different place for you?

No, although I grew up with a 2600, I hold the Jaguar in a separate class above and beyond the rest of all the other Atari's. But I still like all their consoles and computers but my computing time goes to the Jaguar first. ;)

Edited by ovalbugmann

It was a natural progression of technology and Atari's last and most powerful computer product. What is it that you can't "take in" about that? Everybody younger that's into the current generation of consoles, thinks of Atari as only the 2600 becuase they weren't around to see it go from the 2600 to the 360 - you only know what you are told or read about Atari and that's just the 2600 - well they had a lot more stuff up to and including the Jaguar that ended in the PSX era. Don't think the 2600 is ALL that they did - far from it.

I might add I grew up in the 80's with the 2600(especially), 5200 & 7800 and when I saw Atari's Swansong the Jaguar I knew it would be my favorite Atari. Partly because we were all waiting for 3D graphics to finally get here!

People today are spoiled with all the super realistic graphics, it wasn't always like that.

I don't like to categorize the jaguar with the 2600, 5200, and 7800 because of the fact that almost all of the games for it were horrible and the system was a complete failure. There are 4 categories of Atari systems IMO.

1-home computer age (400 & 800)

2-woodgrain (Pong & 2600)

3-silver strip (5200 & 7800)

4-black and red cat (Lynx& Jaguar)

Pong is under woodgrain because i think the brown plastic in the middle counts.

No accuatly, most of the games were not horrible, infact if it were not for the Jaguar, we would still be in the 16 bit era, the Jaguar was one of the first 32 bit consoles, and one of the first consoles to have a significant liabary of polygonal games.

So no one other than Atari was able to make the leap to 32 bit? Atari invented all the technology?

Thought not :roll:

He (mcjake) does have a point. The Jaguar was ahead of its time. The 3DO was to a degree as well. A good example of this, is the Jag had Tempest 2000 & Doom ~ The 3DO had Road Rash & Need For Speed well before the PS & Saturn, yet these games were still considered fresh enough to release years later on the PS & Saturn... ;)

Edited by kevincal

And so was the FM Towns and the CD32, and before you go and say the ps1 was the first to do 3d properly, Checkered Flag on the Jag was a LOT better looking then Hard Drivin' on the MD, and for that matter Race Drivin on the SNES. People scoff flat shaded polygons, but, they beat sprites and (sigh) pixels by a long shot.

Checkered Flag on the Jag was a LOT better looking then Hard Drivin' on the MD, and for that matter Race Drivin on the SNES. People scoff flat shaded polygons, but, they beat sprites and (sigh) pixels by a long shot.

Interesting that you raise that example. I remembered when Checkered Flag came out, it was getting compared (unfavorably) to Virtua Racer on the Genesis. In fairness, Virtua Racer had extra hardware in the cart, IIRC. But I think it spoke to the fact that Checkered Flag had the potential to be a great game and many people (myself included) found that it missed the mark. Too bad, because the Lynx version was a game I quite liked.

Virtua Racing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RebThGEQI8w...feature=related

This pattern was later repeated with BLUE LIGHTNING

Checkered flag wasn't bad graphically considering it was using the 68k as the CPU, but besided the controlls the AI seems to be just awful.

I'm nto sure how the frame rate, poly count (and draw distance) compares to SVP Virtua racing, which are all decent on the Genesis, but the problem with the looks (common to all polygons done on stock genesis video) is the 16 color mode used due to the Genesis garrish color scheme from using only 16-colors. (it's got a 512 color master palette, with 4 seperate 16-color palettes on screen, but you cna only use a single palette for drawing the polygons)

Yeah I have to agree, graphically Checkered Flag on the Jag is better then Virtua Racing on the MD, but the gameplay, not so much. Altough, I am not a particular Checkered Flag hater, and I personally found it quite a fun game to bad for Atari not many people liked it, because Atari had big expectation of the game, look at any Atari Jaguar flyer, and It'll have Checkered Flag on it.

Checkered Flag's GRAPHICS were obviously better than Virtua Racing on the Genesis' graphics. It was the horrible control that screwed up Checkered Flag. The framerate may have been a touch better in VR on the Genesis as well.

IIRC from the time, it came back to the same Jaguar complaint often had: the system was lauded as a 16-bit powerhouse but many of the games looked like a baby step from the 16-bitters. I remember games like Donkey Kong Country, Virtua Racer, Toy Story all causing people to question two things

a) If there was still life in the 16-bitters, due to the bar still rising; and

b) If the Jaguar was really as good as Atari said it was, due to a lot of its games not looking all that different

Think about it in the context of Atari blasting the words "64-bit" everywhere and then put Checkered Flag besides Virtua Racer on a Genesis with the words "16-bit" plastered on it.

Virtua Racer made great use of the Genesis hardware (even though it cheated and had some help). Checkered Flag definitely did not. Add in the control issues and ouch.

No accuatly, most of the games were not horrible, infact if it were not for the Jaguar, we would still be in the 16 bit era, the Jaguar was one of the first 32 bit consoles, and one of the first consoles to have a significant liabary of polygonal games.

So no one other than Atari was able to make the leap to 32 bit? Atari invented all the technology?

Thought not :roll:

No they did not.....Atari had the Jaguar...Sony was working with Nintendo for a SNES based add on called Playstation.

Both had a fallout with each other and then dropped that idea and started on their next gen consoles when Atari made

the announcement. Not one of them had announced or hinted any plans to go 32 bit or next gen until after the Jaguar

was announced....go look at the history of it all and you will see that to be the facts. Everyone else was content with

milking us for everything they could get out of the last gen consoles...that is just factual in business.