IGNORED

Dreamcast was better than the PS2

Love the Dreamcast. It plays emulators nicely too. :D

that's another thing

the NesterDC pack (NES) is flawless on the dreamcast

Actually, many of the games don't run properly, but a gooooood amount of them do! I love it. That an the Game Genie built in. That was genius.

that's another thing

Actually, many of the games don't run properly, but a gooooood amount of them do! I love it. That an the Game Genie built in. That was genius.

NEVER run emulators on a Dreamcast. Running content off a CD-R is a guaranteed way to wear out your laser and trash your system long before its time.

that's another thing

Yeah, emulation...

I love the 5200 emu on the DC. :cool:

NEVER run emulators on a Dreamcast. Running content off a CD-R is a guaranteed way to wear out your laser and trash your system long before its time.

Really? I've been running nothing but CD-Rs for more than 5 years straight without one hiccup.

The Dreamcast Controllers killed the console for me.

That's funny... besides the 2600, the Dreamcast controllers are my favorite of any system. One man's trash is another man's treasure. :)

that's another thing

Yea, and watching DVDs on a ps2 will kill it. I've heard it all before. No problems here, and I've had my Dreamcast for quite a while. If the laser ever does go out, it'll be an easy replacement. That, and I don't play the NESter all the time, so it's not stressing the system out.

I don't see how a laser will wear out faster when running a CD-R. As long as its running at the same wattage all the time there should be zero issues.

The dreamcast controllers just don't seem well thought out. Cord at the bottom, silly memory card with a screen. But thats just my opinion.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

but it was doing it at 640x480 while the DC was hitting 800x600, look at games like REZ to see the difference.

This isn't correct. The best the Dreamcast could do was VGA which is 640 x 480. The PS2 can do 16x9 480p which is 854 x 480. To me the best looking PS2 games look better than the best looking Dreamcast games. Of course developers had a lot more time (and are still continuing) to work with the PS2. When the PS2 was released, the Dreamcast library did look better and run smoother. Some of those early PS2 games look marginally better than PSX games. And playing a Dreamcast game on a pc monitor just can't be beat.

I don't see how a laser will wear out faster when running a CD-R. As long as its running at the same wattage all the time there should be zero issues.

That's not even what the real BS claim was. But rather that the data layout on burned CDR's is not optimised so the mech has to seek more and wears out the gear set. It's still BS.

The dreamcast controllers just don't seem well thought out. Cord at the bottom, silly memory card with a screen. But thats just my opinion.

The DC controllers are weird...a lot of interesting ideas that didn't really work. The memory card that doubles as a poor-man's Game Boy seems like genius, but in the end it's trying to fill a niche that isn't really there. The cord, though...that's just odd, though it isn't really a big deal. The lack of two sticks is a mistake, but otherwise I really like the controller. And honestly, I only ever use the 2nd stick (on my GameCube or Xbox) on FPSs, so it isn't crippling for the controller to lack it.

but it was doing it at 640x480 while the DC was hitting 800x600, look at games like REZ to see the difference.

This isn't correct. The best the Dreamcast could do was VGA which is 640 x 480. The PS2 can do 16x9 480p which is 854 x 480. To me the best looking PS2 games look better than the best looking Dreamcast games. Of course developers had a lot more time (and are still continuing) to work with the PS2. When the PS2 was released, the Dreamcast library did look better and run smoother. Some of those early PS2 games look marginally better than PSX games. And playing a Dreamcast game on a pc monitor just can't be beat.

oh my god, speaking of bad launch games that looked like n64 games, what was that one game in which you're a warrior or something in viking times. God, I still remember how bad that game was. The text was so annoying to read and scroll through, and you couldn't make your character move or do anything that you'd expect him to. I still remember all the huts in the main village wouldn't let you even open the door. It was so cheap it was pathetic.

The game started with a K...

But yea, if people saw that game vs Jet Grind on the DC, I think people would have laughed at the ps2's abiliies. And you're right, if the DC could do what it did then, I'd love to see what devs could have pushed out of the system after 9 years of using it.

have you tried the little notch on the bottom of the DC controller to make the cord go towards the top? :D :P

have you tried the little notch on the bottom of the DC controller to make the cord go towards the top? :D :P

That's what's so weird - that notch shows that they knew the cord should go that way...

Maybe not so weird. The loop prevents the cable from being damaged.

What do you mean?

I don't know how to explain it, but I think the cable will be less prone to breaking when it is put in the notch.

They just should have designed it you know the correct way ;) I was never a fan of sega controllers so eh. The Genesis 6 button was the worst I think.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

Why does everyone have a problem with the cord comming out the bottom. I see nothing wrong with it. In fact there are quite a few other controllers out there that I wish would have done the same *cough* Sony * cough*.

They just should have designed it you know the correct way ;)

Yeah, an original Xbox big Duke controller with the cord out the bottom. That would have been nice. :cool:

I really liked the DC controllers. Having that little VMU screen on there was very cool. And the analog triggers were pretty cool too, especially when performing free throws in NBA 2K. The cord issue is a minor gripe considering they can be moved. I read somewhere there was a reason for it (but I forgot what), so let's not say these controllers were not "well thought out."

I got my Dreamcast from NCS on the Japanese launch. It blew my mind. I still love it to this day. Never saw a game on the PS2 that impressed me like Shenmue did. I supported the PS2, just loved the DC more. My love for the DC sold me on the Xbox seeing how it was pretty much the Dreamcast 2.

Hi everyone!

Another thing that you have to consider when you are looking at Dreamcast games is if you are using the VGA adaptor or not.

Please believe me when I tell you that a Dreamcast with a game outputting in VGA hooked to a SVGA monitor is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

If you think that your racing games look good on your composite or s-video connection, you will crap in your pants after you see them on a 17" SVGA monitor.

AdeptRapier

:)

Yup. I really want the Hello Kitty one. :)

One of my very favorite systems and I really should set up all my systems again. At the very least should be a 7800, Colecovision, NES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS2 hooked up. :)

I have three DC's.....one black. Was there a red one? I heard there was a Code V. version or some such