IGNORED

Dreamcast was better than the PS2

You can't go online and surf the web at "blistering" speeds through your dial up connection with your PS2 :P

Though PS2 does have the Katamari games, so I'll give them a point for that.

Edited by 16-bit

You can't go online and surf the web at "blistering" speeds through your dial up connection with your PS2 :P

Though PS2 does have the Katamari games, so I'll give them a point for that.

I was suprised how optimized the web browsing was on the Dreamcast.

The PS2 has a bigger and better library of games to play, thus making it the superior console.

IN MY OPINION.

Well I would sure hope so. However, the DC has a a lot of good games for such the short lived system. Possibly the best library of games any abandoned console ever had.

P.S. Personally I liked the DC controller. I do wish it has a second analog stick though.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

I liked the DC - but I actually didn't have as many 'must have' games as I had for the Saturn...

I definitely think it was outclassed by the PS2 though - Only the VGA support ( which ensured that most games were rendered at 640x480 when a lot of PS2 games were 480i ) and the quality of Sega's own games helped it.

Well, I'm talking Did, not could, the PS2 largely put out 240 (480i) games while the DC I think exclusively did 640x480 (480P) (though for some reason I seem to remember the DC processed in 600x800, which made it even smoother looking though it was lower res, probably remembereing that wrong though)

I could deal with the cord, thought it was an early attempt at breakaway like X-box, just built in one piece (that notch lets go of the cord before hitting the end of it) I just never could get past the fact it was 5 buttons and one stick short of what was available on the other systems of the time.

Like I said, it looked a lot better, but FPS doesn't work to well with one stick.

Speaking of which, for those that want to see, get Unreal Tournament, it's on the DC, PS2, and X-box, the PS2 and DC were pretty much Identicle, but the DC looked hella better, even though the PS2 pushed the polys, cause like I said, it looked like ass doing it. And the X-box even looked worse than the DC, though the Box had a big advantage of pushing up to 16 players where the other two only pushed 4 at once.

I still love my Dreamcast, I probably play Sega GT more than Forza.

I agree with alot of you, the second analog stick would have been nice. I think Virtual On would have been a far better game. That being said, I do love the controller for every other game. Its weird switching between an Xbox 360 controller and the Dreamcast one though.

Like I said, it looked a lot better, but FPS doesn't work to well with one stick.

Good thing there aren't very many FPSs for the DC, then. :P

5 buttons...short of what was available on the other systems of the time

Five?

I would prefer an FPS that uses an Atari digital joystick and one button. FIRE!

Really, 2 analog sticks is too much control. I have to worry about controlling the players movements instead of just playing the game.

I also hate changing weapons, just auto give me the best available so I can keep firing

Honestly, I dunno. I can't imagine the DC with any other controller, and thought it worked well enough. Even for games like Half Life, after a couple of minutes, it's second nature and plays good.

Maybe it's because of when I got the DC in relation to my other consoles. I owned a DC even before an N64 or Saturn or PS1. It was the first console I had that had thumbsticks at all.

Basicly, my order of ownership goes like this:

2600 (gift)

NES (gift)

Genesis (gift)

SNES (gift)

Dreamcast

N64

Xbox

PS1

Gamecube

Telstar

Intellivision

Saturn

Colecovision

Telstar Ranger

PS2

Trippy order, eh? But yeah, DC was the first real modern controller I ever used. And I was like, wow. Thumbstick and a D-Pad, and 4 buttons (5 including start), and 2 triggers. Beat out everything else I had ever used at the time. It's probably my 3rd favorite controller behind the Xbox big duke and N64. I've wondered on occasion how it might be with dual thumbsticks, but it's never really been an issue for me. I can't imagine it making much of a difference for the better all things said and done.

I am proof! I am on my Treamcast testing the connection on Broadband. Looks like I am at DSL speed right now. Gotta tweaak it a little. Man this is sweet. Dont' have to hook up the TV. I just wish the screen was a little bigger. ^_^

Edited by ninermaniac

Good thing there aren't very many FPSs for the DC, then. :P

5 buttons...short of what was available on the other systems of the time

Five?

Yeah, five, there two shoulder buttons short, one option button short, and the PSX even had the stick click. Maybe I missed one though.

Doh, oh wait, it was PSX and 64, not PSX and X-box :lol: My bad.

Oh yeah, the DSL cart, I always wanted one, just never wanted to pay the price, and since it wasn't really compatible with much (to my understanding, most online games wouldn't support it) I never bothered....of course, modern apps and homebrews might make use of it more, I dont know.

We didn't destroy Sega, Sega destroyed Sega.

They claim piracy killed it.

A while back, this interview was held with Peter Moore on the Dreamcast. Gives a really good overview of what actually happened to the little white box.

As for threads like this, it's really just a matter of personal subjective opinion. I like both. Dreamcast is a weird one for me in that it's the only 'failure' I can think of that died in two years yet sold ten million units, had hundreds of games and is typically remembered fondly these days.

As for PS2, it's a legend in the history of gaming and will be remembered as such. Regardless of technical comparison, the end result was that it lived longer, had better support and was pushed harder by developers than the Dreamcast.

This game alone makes me like the PS2 more than the DC. :) Any chopiness is from my bad video making skills or Youtube compression. ;) Be sure to watch the whole thing to see the awesome replays. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQkatQdjk7E&fmt=18

And if the DC was developed for as long as the PS2 was, it would have had games that were just as pretty. Again, look at Test Drive Le Mans. In the short time the DC was alive, it produced far better games and graphics than the PS2 did in the same amount of time.

That's like saying if the 360 died off in it's early years, it was a bad system as most of the games were merely higher resolution previous gen games. Well duh. Games like Gears wouldn't have even been out yet.

Basically, look at the games at the end of the DC's life. They give you clues that it could do far more than higher definition versions of 2049. ;). I wish someone would use those dev systems to their full potential and start porting games to the Dreamcast. I'd love to see what modern programmers could do on that machine now (and no i dont mean making yet another shooter).

Gran Turismo 3 came out not long at all after the PS2 was launched... Within a year I believe. Dreamcast does have pretty graphics, just not as realistic as PS2. Also the DC doesn't have any force feedback steering wheels that I know of. It feels like you are actually driving in GT3.

Gran Turismo 3 came out not long at all after the PS2 was launched... Within a year I believe. Dreamcast does have pretty graphics, just not as realistic as PS2. Also the DC doesn't have any force feedback steering wheels that I know of. It feels like you are actually driving in GT3.

Oh 3, der.. sorry I was thinking of 4. Yes, 3 was very pretty for the time. Then again, like I said, the guys who made GT3, made Test Drive and it shows. Two great games.

We can all sit here till the end of the century making arguments over who could have been better graphically, but realistically, we'll never really know. It's just a shame that the DC had the reputation of FAR WORSE graphics just because, like the 360, in the first year or so it basically was just playing previous gen games at a prettier resolution and better textures.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if the DVD player wasn't such a major thing when the PS2 came out, and the DC lived, we'd have seen just as pretty games coming from that as the PS2 and I think, besides disk space, it wouldn't have been much different that the other 3 competitors of that generation.

Funny how a DC failed because it had no DVD drive, but the GC did just fine and it had the same issue. I still remember Sega throwing in DVD stand alone players for free with the system as a last ditch effort to try to compete. Didn't work unfortunately.

In a way it's good they're gone. The company made a lot of poor business decisions, and needed a restart. However, I still really miss the glory days of 3d arcade games on home consoles. Now everything has to be huge and epic... when then most games were meant for short, 20 minute thrill rides :).

Edited by DaytonaUSA

It's just a shame that the DC had the reputation of FAR WORSE graphics just because, like the 360, in the first year or so it basically was just playing previous gen games at a prettier resolution and better textures.

Um - I don't remember anything of the sort. What I do remember was seeing Soul Calibur (a launch title) and almost falling off my chair.

Funny how a DC failed because it had no DVD drive, but the GC did just fine and it had the same issue.

Read the link I posted above. ultimately, it failed because the whole industry dynamics changed. Sega was in the roughest financial shape of any of the console makers and couldn't afford to lose money on consoles and fund really expensive game development.

The Dreamcast sold well - it's a misnomer that it was a bomb. It's often remembered alongside other console failures (Jaguar, 3DO, 32X, Virtua Boy ec) but the thing sold millions of units in its short life and had several million selling games. But not well enough, fast enough, for Sega to be able to stay in the business in an industry where Microsoft lost over 4 billion on the original XBox.

The DC had unique rendering engine (PowerVR) and it had amazing Anti Aliasing methods. Many early DC games did look smoother than the PS2 counterparts. But the PS2 had much more horsepower. Kevincal is correct. GT4 on the PS2 is something the DC could never come close to and it can run in 720/1080 HD resolution. Something the DC isn't even capable of at all. I still prefer the DC and its games often do have a unique look and feel. But there is no point in arguing over the power of the PS2.