IGNORED

Dactyl Joust

Atari_Falcon

Has anyone more unformations about Dactyl Joust... There´s a video on youtube which looks really nice... and I love playing Joust on the Atari 7800, so why not a 3D Jaguar version ;)

Ah yes.....what could have been. Buddies probably knows a litle more than most about this title but

that video and minor discussion is all most of us know.

Edited by Gorf

• 14 years later...

Forgive me all for the sudden necro-bumping of this (14 years-old!? thread) but, i recently came across with footage of the Game that AFAIK i've never seen previously outside of the well-known footage of Dactyl Joust on YouTube. 

While the video starts off like the other one, this footage shows the game's logo and models of the characters. However if you can notice it, these are not pre-rendered models but rather fully polygonal ones.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Forgive me all for the sudden necro-bumping of this (14 years-old!? thread) but, i recently came across with footage of the Game that AFAIK i've never seen previously outside of the well-known footage of Dactyl Joust on YouTube. 

While the video starts off like the other one, this footage shows the game's logo and models of the characters. However if you can notice it, these are not pre-rendered models but rather fully polygonal ones.

Just for the record: the video shows FMV until the title/logo appears. Prerendered FMV are modeled with polygons btw. ;--)

Edited by agradeneu

59 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Just for the record: the video shows FMV until the title/logo appears. Prerendered FMV are modeled with polygons btw. ;--)

I should have described it in more detail X(

The first segment is a pre-rendered FMV introductory sequence of the footage, then the second segment shows the logo of the Game, and lastly the third and final segment of the video shows the true polygonal models of the characters.

But the question is, where does this footage came from exactly?

2 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

But the question is, where does this footage came from exactly?

Doesn’t appear to be Jaguar, that’s for sure. Probably what it was developed using, on PC. Maybe they had considered it for Atari’s Interactive PC division but that sort of speculation might only add to the rumor mill. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Doesn’t appear to be Jaguar, that’s for sure. Probably what it was developed using, on PC. Maybe they had considered it for Atari’s Interactive PC division but that sort of speculation might only add to the rumor mill. 

If that's all FMV, which it looks like it mostly is then it could have been a Jag CD game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Clint Thompson said:

Interesting. Can they find an old computer with source code or a Jaguar flash cart with the beta on it as well? ;) 

I used to work at HVS, though I started after they had done their ATARI Jaguar work. I am not sure they had their source code control system in place back then, but I can ask the CEO if they still have the source code to these old projects somewhere..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, selgus said:

I used to work at HVS, though I started after they had done their ATARI Jaguar work. I am not sure they had their source code control system in place back then, but I can ask the CEO if they still have the source code to these old projects somewhere..

If you could do that, that would be great!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 3:48 AM, KidGameR186496 said:

Necrobump away, it's fantastic to see new material on this title, after all these years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, selgus said:

Oh wow! That's very unexpected but awesome all the same 🙂 Send any HVS member who worked on the Jaguar our regards from the Jaguar community for their work on the system 😀 They really did one of the best if not the best version of NBA Jam T.E. on consoles 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trabucco said:

I asked the guy in the comments on YT, and he said:

"My Dad was the vp of the art department at high voltage. We found this while cleaning out the basement lol."

The two guesses i have based on HVS' Jaguar timeline are Eric Nofsinger (WMCJ) and Michael Baker (Ruiner Pinball).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I passed the info onto Frank Gasking at GTW and put a post up on Unseen64. 

Full credit given to K for making the community here aware.. 

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2023/11/dactyl-joust-footage-surfaces/#respond

A shoutout from Games that Weren't was not on my 2023 bingo card XD

I do hope we see more of Dactyl Joust.... :D

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, agradeneu said:

Why?

I guess I should clarify since I’m being quoted elsewhere as to saying “it’s not on the Jag” and them saying it actually is, but where is the proof? By that I mean it definitely does not appear to be running directly from a Jaguar. Most likely it’s a conceptual 3D render of the models to be used for the game, since the source is from the 3D artist / modeler and not the programmer. 

The FMV is too clean and lacks the typical Cinepak compression. While it’s possible the second part could be running on the Jag, though unlikely, the spinning 3D models are moving really fast and cross fade but more so that they definitely appear higher res than what you would see on the Jag. Plus the scaling out of the title screen is too flawless. 

Hopefully more details will unfold, it would be nice to finally get an in-depth glimpse to exactly what this video is and what the story is on the Jag side. The video Carl shared forever ago of what was supposedly running on a Jag looked insanely impressive but now it has me questioning that too. That one at least does appear to actually be running on the Jaguar or is believable:

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 1