IGNORED

Pitfall: Mayan Adventure - JAGUAR HSC - April '09 - AtarDi/DocClu_1,000,000

kevincal

Spoiler Alert: The following explains how to get some of the letters, if you want to find them on your own do not continue reading my post.

I got confused on how to get the T and combined two of the temple levels. Here is the right way to get the T.

The T is in the Copan Temple level. You come down a rope and can see levers on either side. You can jump off the rope to get the one on the left, but you can't get the right one at that point. Once you get off the rope you head right past a flaming ball and a passage will open for you. There is a pillar there that you can get behind. When you are behind the pillar jump up and grab the hidden rope, climb up, jump off to the left, and pull the lever. Go back down and head left past the flaming ball and a passage will open underneath you that leads to the T. This part is near 3 of the swinging balls of flame.

The F is in a forest level. It's the next forest level after the T level. There are only two sliding vines, the one that takes you out of the stage and a long one that goes under the F. You can see it fly by as you're sliding. Once you get to the end of the vine, shoot the snake to the right and climb up the rope. Jump to the left, there should be a platform hidden by a tree. Keep jumping left on limbs and you will find the F.

To get the first L, you have to take a leap of faith. Towards the end of the next to last level (before you fight the last guy) you have to jump on a platform that is hidden by one of those wierd looking columns. It's near a save point idol above water with the floating tiles. Once you land on the platform, press up to go through the door that leads to the L and an extra guy I believe.

Hope this helps, I found every letter myself. I didn't want to use a guide or anything. I think the first L is the one that took me the longest, as there is nothing to indicate that you are close to getting the letter.

Edited by jeremiahjt

Spoiler Alert: The following explains how to get some of the letters, if you want to find them on your own do not continue reading my post.

That was some great advice. I found the remaining tiles (I was only missing two when you posted this)

Take me off first place BTW, more interested in solving this and while I didn't cheat, I did make use of the looping trick on the Jaguar-Man level where you can collect up a bunch of rocks, which I needed to take out the Jaguar-Man and the Warrior Spirit. (You can collect rocks, get the extra life, and then repeat.)

I don't see this as cheating as no codes were entered, and honestly I don't see how you could be beat the Jaguar-Man and Warrior Spirit without using the looping trick. If anyone can do it, would love to see the video on how you beat the Warrior Spirit. :D

I was able to refine that process so that in the end I would find two explosive rocks (instead of one) before grabbing the extra life and then dying. So I was able to beat the Warrior Spirit with only like 578,968. The little looping trick really packs on the points if you don't do it right. To me the score of 578,968 was my better played game since I was able to beat the Jaguar-Man a lot quicker and more efficiently. And I plan to submit an even LOWER (more efficiently played game) soon. ;)

Now my goal is to now get a screen shot of the developer head trick. Supposedly when you get all the PITFALL tiles it changes the head of Pitfall Harry in the class game to the head of the developers?

Anyone have more intel on this?

post-4709-1239555743_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

My score is 511,920 with all letters of Pitfall on normal mode.

When you say rocks doctorclu, do you mean the normal ones or the exploding ones? On normal mode I only use the exploding rocks on the Warrior Spirit. The best I've ever done on him with only the normal rocks is down to 6%. I use the regular rocks on Jaguar-man, he is pretty easy for me once I figured out his attack pattern.

On the first mine level where you find the P, there is a boomerang above you and a free man below you near the start of the level. Does anybody know how to get those. I spent forever trying and couldn't figure it out.

Good work on the Jaguar-Man. :)

There are two extra men that I can think of right off the bat.

There is one at the beginning... push the cart to end of the track, leap off the cart to grab the rope at one point, then jump off the rope to the right and you will get a super health and an extra life.

The second one is later on when you smash through the web wall and then go into the next part of the level (scene change). You climb the rope to the upper track, run the track to the left, climb up to a ledge, jump from rope to rope (kiling rats as you go) and then on the last rope to the right, make a good jump off to the right, and you will land on a track, run on that to the right, and then jump up onto the platform where the extra life and bag of rocks are.

That help?

[Actually no that wasn't it, there was a third one!]

Ok, I went back and played it some more finding the extra life below the track that you mentioned.

I played around for a bit. What you do at the VERY beginning is go left to the rope. There is the top level and the level below with the warped floor and rats. BETWEEN those two if you jump right you'll land behind some rocks. Run to the right and eventually you will run into that extra life. :D

I LOVE this game.

Edited by doctorclu

You deserve 1st place Doc. You are staying there! ;)

You're awesome.

Ok, by simple accomplishment, jeremiahjt says he's taken out the Jaguar-Man with regular rocks. Now I think I've done some awesome stuff, but the Jaguar-Man I'm just starting to get good at taking out with rocks. I'll take that challenge to take the Jaguar-Man out with regular rocks. Until I do that, I'll take myself out of first place.

Thanks for the help doctorclu. I searched all over for the entrance to the area and just couldn't find it. Knowing how to get the extra guy made it easy to get the boomerang too. I just had to push the cart about halfway down and there was the end of another track above me. Use the cart to jump up and it leads right to the boomerang.

I think now there is only one extra guy in the game I can't get to. There is one in the forest level where you find the F that I'm not sure how to get.

Let me play the double Jaguar level again and I'll get back to you. I'm pretty sure I have found everything on that level.

Ok, on the "blue forest" as I would call it, you get to where you see the life, to matter the fact you emerge out of a tree on a branch below the extra life. You jump across to the extra health, and then in the tree trunk next to it, you jump behind and find a trampoline.

Jump up on that, you get to the upper branches, travel across those (some fragile) and eventually travelling left you get the extra life.

In the Lost City of Copan level (the one with the 2 Jaguars) there are actually 8 extra men. 6 of them are in the area around the 2600 Pitfall warp. One is visible higher up flanked by two exploding rocks. You just have to make your way to the top right with a little help from a bouncing web or tongue. The other five in this area are in the bottom right. Jump around until you find yourself almost stuck and push left. The 5 extra men are all together. It's hard to get out of that area though as I can't jump out of it. I have to jump to a platform and then belly crawl left under a wall. Once under the wall I can find my way out easily.

The next one is the one visible from the beginning of the level if you push down when you start. At the part when you have to swing hook from hook above the tar pit, drop down behind the large pillar of rock in the middle. There is a platform to catch you and a pepper to make you jump farther. After getting the pepper finish moving left across the hooks and land on the ground. Run to the left and jump at the edge. You should make to the platform across where the extra guy is and a heart.

Right underneath the ledge that you jump from to get the other extra man there is a rope that takes you behind the walls. Once at the top get off to the right and run to the rope with the snake on it. Stun the snake, jump on the rope, and jump up to the left. After you land on the hidden platform push the hidden switch by pushing on the wall. Jump back down and head left. The secret door will move allowing you to get the extra guy and a heart, along with a skeleton head.

I do have a question regarding this level though. At the very top where the hawk attacks you, there are some hooks above a platform I can't reach. Does anybody know if you can get on that platform or reach the hooks? The hooks go off to the left where you can't see so maybe there is something there.

There is also a visible switch on a wall to the left after dropping down a shaft. I cannot get this switch to move, can anybody else?

Edited by jeremiahjt

I watched some of your Pitfall videos doctorclu, they look good. How did you find out about the switch that creates that extra guy? I never could figure that one out. I guess now that means that there are 9 extra men in that level alone.

Now if I can find out about those hooks at the top of the level then I will know every single thing possible about the Lost City of Copan.

I watched some of your Pitfall videos doctorclu, they look good. How did you find out about the switch that creates that extra guy? I never could figure that one out. I guess now that means that there are 9 extra men in that level alone.

:D I was hoping you'd like that. My original thought was the wait and levitate up to the switch. I tried originally throwing rocks, jumping on it, ect. So thought I would wait and bam! Special animation. Really amazed me they would use that special animation one time in the whole game. Space on Jaguar carts can be at a premium sometimes.

Now the hooks... I'll spend some time on that.

At the top of the temple you have a hole in the roof that you can jump through, but not enough. You have a ledge in the other side where you get attacked by the hawk. You can almost picture yourself being pushed by the hawk onto the hooks.

Only problem with the hooks too is that the hooks are broken up. Not sure if they would lead anywhere.

Shame you can't find a pepper, then spring off one of the tongue/spring boards up and catch a hook. :/

I decided to play it through on hard, hoping that it would help my score. It helped, just not a whole lot. So now my new high score is 594,064 with all letters of Pitfall.

I played through the Genesis version to see if it could help me to reach those hooks in Copan. It didn't, but I did notice that the original Pitfall in the Genesis version was much better than the Jag version. The controls and hit detection were better in my opinion.