IGNORED

Pitfall: Mayan Adventure - JAGUAR HSC - April '09 - AtarDi/DocClu_1,000,000

kevincal

....but I did notice that the original Pitfall in the Genesis version was much better than the Jag version.

What really impressed me was the SNES version as I've been watching Youtube videos. The Warrior Spirit looks a LOT tougher, and when the warrior spirit breaks itself apart, it doesn't just fall to the ground, it forms back ON TOP OF YOU. Now that made it a lot more buff in my book.

Still I think the Jaguar version at least LOOKS better above all, and while maybe not the best version of Pitfall for controls, is in my opinion the best platformer for the Jaguar (You got variety, speed, good graphics, good music, good enough on the controls, something that all other platforms are at least lacking in some area.)

jeremiahjt, is the Genesis version of Pitfall the same as the Jaguar's, or is the Jaguar version really better graphics/soundwise?

The Jag version definitely looks a lot better than the Genesis version. I don't pay much attention to sound on games so I can't comment on that one.

One thing about the Jag version is that it is much much darker. There are parts in the Jag version that are so dark that I can't tell what's going on, like the slide near the beginning of the Tazamul Mines. In the Genesis version you can clearly see the slide and everything around it.

I finally figured out how to reach those hooks in the Lost City of Copan! Above the shaft that you fall down is a platform that you can belly crawl to get a heart, ring, and a bag of rocks. At about the halfway point of the visible part you can stand up to get a pepper. Use the pepper to grab on to the hooks and swing to the platform and then grab on to the other set of hooks. They lead to a platform containing 3 extra men. Which is kind of ridiculous considering that now makes 12 extra men in that level.

I've spent so much time trying to get up there. The sad part is that I tried to stand up on that part plenty of times, but only behind the wall were you're not visible. For some reason I thought that they wouldn't put something like that in the part where you can see Harry, Jr.

1,000,000 + - AtarDi & DoctorClu

594,064 - JeremiahJt

133,288 - AstroPuff

58,905 - GoochMan

Looking at the scores, I nominate Jeremiahjt for first place on finding out how to get the hooks where the hawk attacks above the temple. Now that was impressive.

I mean in this game anyone can score 999,999+ but to find hidden things, I mean I think I was impressive, but I'll take second to the hooks. :D

Maybe I could to beat the Warrior Spirit with rocks. Hmmm... That MIGHT be as impressive.

Maybe instead, we should just give him a "best tip" point?! :) I don't think it's as easy to score a million points as you say! ;)

Aww Shucks. :)

Yeh really wish this game didn't tap out at a million. Defininately like the best tip idea for jeremiahjt.

Very nice score. It does seem this game is indeed underrated, as all of you seem to like it a lot! I guess maybe people write it off as another 16-bit port and don't give it a chance... I love Zool 2 and Rayman, but I haven't gotten far in Pitfall.. I've only given it a go a few times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...