IGNORED

The "I believe that Air Raid is from Latin America" Thread

RangerG

Just to add a little interest to the Air Raid Men-A-Vision discussion. I firmly believe that it is from Latin America. I lived in South America and the name sounds like Spanglish and the cart even resembles other t-tops from Latin America. Also, check out this list of other Atari companies/products from Brazil/Latin America. Coincidence?

Splice Vision

Digivision

Argevision

Data Vision

Wide Vision

Conectivision

Cosmivision

Softvision

Dinamivision

Feel free to add more support to the claim.

Take care.

Edited by RangerG

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility. And from what I understand, there are more things that point to it originating in Mexico or Central America or South America that not; for example, the game turning up most "often" in states that border Mexico and the physical similarity to South American T-handle cartridges, like you said.

I'm not sure I'd say the name "Men-A-Vision" particularly smacks of Spanglish (although it certainly could). I always figured it to be a play on the expression "men of vision," and if that is in fact what it is, it implies a degree of sophistication/familiarity with the English language that I wouldn't expect from a small-time Latin American software designer/group. Which, again, isn't to say it couldn't happen, because to be fair, I've never been to South America, let alone lived there. Maybe English phrases are commonplace down there, I dunno. Someone help me out there. :)

I think it's fair to guess that the cartridge shells and maybe even the PCBs came from Latin America. Assuming that the origin of "Men-A-Vision" is up in the air, could it be possible that the cartridge shells were imported into the U.S. by Men-A-Vision, who wrote and "released" Air Raid here? The cartridges (shells, PCBs?) would probably have been a much cheaper alternative to anything available here. Under this scenario, Men-A-Vision would probably have been a hobbyist or homebrewer -maybe several, based on the name being "Men-A-Vision" and not "Man-A-Vision"- looking for a quick buck, and with some tie to Latin America (either a personal or business contact).

Here's another [crackpot] idea, which probably shouldn't be taken seriously: what if the Air-Raid cartridges were part of the South American drug trade? What if the cartridges were a way of smuggling cocaine into the U.S.? What if Air-Raid cartridges were partially made of cocaine? It might explain their rarity... :D (Not likely.)

Just to add a little interest to the Air Raid Men-A-Vision discussion. I firmly believe that it is from Latin America. I lived in South America and the name sounds like Spanglish and the cart even resembles other t-tops from Latin America. Also, check out this list of other Atari companies/products from Brazil/Latin America. Coincidence?

Splice Vision

Digivision

Argevision

Data Vision

Wide Vision

Conectivision

Cosmivision

Softvision

Dinamivision

Take care.

True, but to date, all of the Air Raids have been found in the US. Top Brazilian collectors (Atari 2600) have never seen this game let alone this type of shell....it is unique. Another thing, games like from the Ultravision family (t-bar carts) were made in the US- Miami to be exact. So, the games being discovered in the US and no Brazilian collector has seen them in Brazil makes the above theory suspect.......my two cents..... :cool:

Splice Vision

Digivision

Argevision

Data Vision

Wide Vision

Conectivision

Cosmivision

Softvision

Dinamivision

Take care.

True, but to date, all of the Air Raids have been found in the US. Top Brazilian collectors (Atari 2600) have never seen this game let alone this type of shell....it is unique. Another thing, games like from the Ultravision family (t-bar carts) were made in the US- Miami to be exact. So, the games being discovered in the US and no Brazilian collector has seen them in Brazil makes the above theory suspect.......my two cents..... :cool:

Add my two cents to that.

8)

Air Raid has been found throughout USA and maybe just one bordering state to Mexico.

Never found in any other country.

I could be a pirate but as released only as a US original.

But I doubt it was ever released in Latin America or South America

Air Raid has been found throughout USA and maybe just one bordering state to Mexico.

Never found in any other country.

I could be a pirate but as released only as a US original.

But I doubt it was ever released in Latin America or South America

Besides that:

This type of T-handle is not seen in Brazil (the only Brazilian T-handles are the completely different Tron / Digivision ones) and only very few Brazilian carts carry a label without a company name or game title.

Also, very few (if any) Brazilian companies released only one title.

And not one Brazilian company actually put that much effort in creating a game from 'scratch'.

Marco,

I forgot.

Do you own the Dinatronic Air Raid?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

There are several old threads detailing the "is it PAL/NTSC/PAL-M debate" when it comes to Air Raid. I think even having this format debate points to the cart being from outside the US. This is an interesting discussion for a truly storied Atari cart.

I'm pretty confident that its an import from latin America, most likely Mexico. It doesnt have the "look or feel" of a US made cart. An american company would have put a title or company name on the cart at the very least. Its part of the western culture to "brand" things. There are plenty of examples of Taiwanese and Brazillian pirates and hacked "originals" that originate from these countries that do not carry names on their labels. In the cast of Taiwanese carts, they are always found outside of their originating country.

I personally don't understand this "I collect US release games only" mentality. If the Megaboy cart was released in the US, it would be worth 10 times its current selling price. Why? Discovering that Air Raid was only released in Mexico and a dozen or so copies found their way to the US over 30 years would make this cart much less valuable. Why???

I'm pretty confident that its an import from latin America, most likely Mexico. It doesnt have the "look or feel" of a US made cart. An american company would have put a title or company name on the cart at the very least. Its part of the western culture to "brand" things. There are plenty of examples of Taiwanese and Brazillian pirates and hacked "originals" that originate from these countries that do not carry names on their labels. In the cast of Taiwanese carts, they are always found outside of their originating country.

I personally don't understand this "I collect US release games only" mentality. If the Megaboy cart was released in the US, it would be worth 10 times its current selling price. Why? Discovering that Air Raid was only released in Mexico and a dozen or so copies found their way to the US over 30 years would make this cart much less valuable. Why???

Part of it is ego-centric but I think it is mostly to put a lid on the # of games needed. Not everyone wants to collect an endless steam of games. Many people like to know exactly how many games "count" and then they slowly work off that list. If you live in the USA you are a disadvantage to buying games not made in the USA so you buy them at a premium from other collectors or on the net. Sure many collectors do pay a premium at some point anyway anyway but not at the start. They usually got a nice head start from local garage sales/flee markets or even the games they owned as a child.

Part of it is ego-centric but I think it is mostly to put a lid on the # of games needed. Not everyone wants to collect an endless steam of games. Many people like to know exactly how many games "count" and then they slowly work off that list. If you live in the USA you are a disadvantage to buying games not made in the USA so you buy them at a premium from other collectors or on the net. Sure many collectors do pay a premium at some point anyway anyway but not at the start. They usually got a nice head start from local garage sales/flee markets or even the games they owned as a child.

No offense, but what you are saying doesnt make a lot of sense to me. By placing a cap on what you collect, you are actually paying a very hefty premium for the games you are collecting, because you are limiting the supply of games that are being demanded by the pool of collectors. The common games are dirt cheap everywhere and are not the reason for putting the cap on what you collect. As for the rare stuff, you see US versions of UR games selling at 10x their PAL equivalents, even where the PAL equivalent is far rarer. US collectors who collect non-US stuff are actually buying non-US games at a discount ;) Ask Rick, Crunchy or Frostbite Bailey and they'll tell you that, for example, the UR PAL stuff they buy they get dirt cheap when compared to UR US releases

It does not matter where chips come from....many chips come from other countries just to be assembled in the US or to be released as a US product....

Speaking from experience Wonder this is a fight you just can't win. There will always be haters to the rare games.

Why is saying it is from Mexico "being a hater" towards it? I don't understand this post :?

It does not matter where chips come from....many chips come from other countries just to be assembled in the US or to be released as a US product....

Speaking from experience Wonder this is a fight you just can't win. There will always be haters to the rare games.

Why is saying it is from Mexico "being a hater" towards it? I don't understand this post :?

Because you are insinuating its not a US release, which would make it near worthless to US collectors, you Air Raid hater!! :D

Because you are insinuating its not a US release, which would make it near worthless to US collectors, you Air Raid hater!! :D

Ah, well then, guilty as charged :D

I guess I am one of those weird collectors that forgot the value goes from $2,XXX to $200 just because it is a Mexico release. Well, hopefully it is from Mexico so then I can buy one :) I would still treat it like the rarity 10 it is regardless of it's orgin.

Ah, well then, guilty as charged :D

I guess I am one of those weird collectors that forgot the value goes from $2,XXX to $200 just because it is a Mexico release. Well, hopefully it is from Mexico so then I can buy one :) I would still treat it like the rarity 10 it is regardless of it's orgin.

You're not weird CC, just logical ;)

This thread may as well be called the "Who thinks Air Raid should be worth 1/10th of its current value" thread. :D