IGNORED

Bad capacitors in 1050s (or other Atari equipment) - Does brand matter?

kurtm

Recently giving my 1050s some nice refurb treatment, cleaning, lubing, etc. I was taking note of the capacitors as I know those are most likely to die as the drives age. None of my drives has any problems, and all seem to have ELNA brand capacitors. I noticed the caps that needed replacing in this case weren't ELNA but Richey brand. ELNA's website trumpets their reliability, so I was wondering if there was a trend with bad caps.

Anybody who's had to recap 1050s (or others), what kind of capacitors were they (if you know)?

Recently giving my 1050s some nice refurb treatment, cleaning, lubing, etc. I was taking note of the capacitors as I know those are most likely to die as the drives age. None of my drives has any problems, and all seem to have ELNA brand capacitors. I noticed the caps that needed replacing in this case weren't ELNA but Richey brand. ELNA's website trumpets their reliability, so I was wondering if there was a trend with bad caps.

Anybody who's had to recap 1050s (or others), what kind of capacitors were they (if you know)?

Generally in consumer equipment it doesn't really matter as long as you keep the value the same and use at least the same voltage and temperature rating. There are some special purpose caps (low ESR, bi-polar, etc...) but I doubt there's anything like that in a 1050.

Upgrading to 105 degree rated caps can increase reliability, but we're talking about something you might need to address every 20-30 years.

Generally in consumer equipment it doesn't really matter as long as you keep the value the same and use at least the same voltage and temperature rating. There are some special purpose caps (low ESR, bi-polar, etc...) but I doubt there's anything like that in a 1050.

Upgrading to 105 degree rated caps can increase reliability, but we're talking about something you might need to address every 20-30 years.

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant what were the *original* caps. I'm curious if certain caps used when making the drives hold up better than others.

Very nice photos!

Very nice photos!

That's all c0nsumer. He takes gorgeous photos of everything he does. I'll take pics of my 1050s, but I haven't had to recap them, so didn't think it as relevant to my point :)

replace with ones rated at the same capacity/voltage or a bit higher

they will be smaller than those inside your 1050, but this is only advance in technology all over those years

most of caps are made in china, so saing not to replace them by those may make whole thing a bit complicated...

anyway - don't worry... it's not heavly loaded switching power supply inside where esr or any other secondary characteristics of your replacement caps should matter

from mine point of view epox was on the market for one year, heavlily advertised as the best motherboards under the sun, and it dissapeared almost completly in a puff of smoke after a year or so - reason was, as Rybags said - poor quality of capacitors - from mine other experiences - avoid luxcon gluxcon and similiary named...

Edited by candle