IGNORED

Oldeset known living release day 360 finally dies......

Starscream

Yes, it's true. My original release day 360 finally bought the farm this morning :(

It was pronounced dead at exactly 12:37 am. She has always run strong and true, never a stumble, but this morning, her graphics started to flutter. She pixilated, then started dotting really bad, then the last breath was the black and white display, then she went.....

1 flashing light...error 74.

I checked the vitals including the warranty. It expired exactly 34 days before she did. Not being one to give up on her, I called Microsoft. Printed my label, sent her on her way.......

They are fixing her for free. What I want to see is if I get her back or a replacement. Whoever processes them is going to shit a brick when they see this one has never died before. It's gotta be a record holder.

Yes, it's true. My original release day 360 finally bought the farm this morning :(

It was pronounced dead at exactly 12:37 am. She has always run strong and true, never a stumble, but this morning, her graphics started to flutter. She pixilated, then started dotting really bad, then the last breath was the black and white display, then she went.....

1 flashing light...error 74.

I checked the vitals including the warranty. It expired exactly 34 days before she did. Not being one to give up on her, I called Microsoft. Printed my label, sent her on her way.......

They are fixing her for free. What I want to see is if I get her back or a replacement. Whoever processes them is going to shit a brick when they see this one has never died before. It's gotta be a record holder.

WOW this makes me pretty agry...

You are very lucky.

I got the same error code 74 on my Elite last year..

It was 3 weeks past the 1 year warranty...not the 3 year.

Called Microsoft they told me it would be $100 cuz the "error 74" was a video card problem U not covered by the warranty..

WTF?

I was pissed then & more now.

Not your fault...I HATE Microsoft.....And yes the replacement I got back...NOT my original that I paid to get fix is dying right now...bad DVD drive. I just dont like reading disks. I will call the soon if the charge me again Im done with the 360.

Sucks cuz I like the games...but the system is not well built...

How I miss the days of never sending in my systems..and still have them today..25+ years later

Atari 2600/5200/7800/400/800/st/lynx/Jaguar/XE

NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA/DS

SMS/Genesis/Saturn/SCD/CDX/Dreamcast

Vectrex

Intellivision

3DO

But my about 1 time a year repair me 360 is SAD!

Called Microsoft they told me it would be $100 cuz the "error 74" was a video card problem U not covered by the warranty..

I could be wrong but I think they are reimbursing people for this now that the Error 74 is covered under the 3 year warranty.

Check it out...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/972/972607p1.html

I'd get your $100 back before you start hating on em. :)

I could be wrong but I think they are reimbursing people for this now that the Error 74 is covered under the 3 year warranty.

Check it out...

Sweet!

But now how do we get our $$$ back.....

I cant picture them calling me up.

They gave me $200 MSpoints back last time instead of my cash. Kinda sucked..ratther have cash than some Indain dude I couldnt understand AT ALL giving me the 24 digit code $10-$20 bucks at a time. "Did you say T?, No I said D sir...Oh, OK D...no no sir P as in Pony...What?" OMG Id rather kill myself than do that again.

Check it out...

Sweet!

They gave me $200 MSpoints back last time instead of my cash. Kinda sucked..ratther have cash than some Indain dude I couldnt understand AT ALL giving me the 24 digit code $10-$20 bucks at a time. "Did you say T?, No I said D sir...Oh, OK D...no no sir P as in Pony...What?" OMG Id rather kill myself than do that again.

Yes the will reimburse as long as you have proof of repair if you got it done outside of MS. If you got it through MS, there is some info at the website.

They JUST started covering E74 under the 3 yr warranty a few weeks back. All I did was whined about how everyone else won't pay but I have to, wha, wha, wha,....and eventually they gave in :D Honestly, they were really nice about it.

Sweet!

No I'd imagine you would have to call them.

1-800-469-9269 Call them and ask them to check your account. If they fixed it for you they should have it on record. There should have been a service number associated with the fix.

I shouldn't expect they would reimburse you with MS points unless you agree to that deal.

If you have a crap load of points codes...sell them on eBay.

Points like that generally sell for what they are sold for at retail on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...
She's alive!!!

Came back yesterday. Same serial number :ponder: Didn't seem to have any license issues with any content either.

Nice!!

Did the console ID remain the same as well as the serial number?

From what I can tell, yup.

That's why you don't have license issues. Good deal!! :thumbsup:

I'd say you're still a contender for the oldest! You and 5 other guys.

Edited by moycon

The quality issues with the 360 are the single biggest reason preventing me from picking up the system otherwise. It has everything I want in a console but I know too many people with stories like yours of dying consoles.

I was hoping that Microsoft's improvements would have made a difference in failure rates so I can take the plunge.

I was going to take issue with yours being the oldest known living release day 360 because I got a release day 360 as well.. but then I realized mine has gone to hell and back and is only living now because I replaced and spoofed the dvd drive, as well as shoved in a bunch of washers for a RROD fix. And with that being said, the dvd drive is now currently scratching discs, so never mind :lol:

I was hoping that Microsoft's improvements would have made a difference in failure rates so I can take the plunge.

I think if you buy one now you'll get a really good one.. the Jasper chipsets, etc. Supposedly those are pretty solid.

thats hysterical considering were on atari age where 99% of the people here are playing systems that are 30-almost 40 years old and still work.

if i seem flippant its because i am. i don't feel any sympathy for people who continue to support that piece of shit. buy a goddamn ps3 already and stop acting like battered women "but i luv t3h gamez". is any hunk of plastic worth a second of that frustration? your 360s will continue to fail until maybe one day you all smarten up and demand more from life than a failure prone turd.

buy a goddamn ps3 already and stop acting like battered women

Most folks here have a PS3 already. We just play the 360 more. How about this, you buy a gaddamn 360 so you'll know why we fix em.

Edited by moycon