IGNORED

130XE boot thru SIO2PC

bf2k+

For some strange reason, I have a 130XE here that will not boot or read thru my SIO2PC cable (PC running APE). I recall seeing something about this somewhere - a fix or something? Can't find it here.

Anyone?

Hmm, I don't recall anything special. I was just doing this yesterday (played some River Raid, Ghostbusters, and Zaxxon). All worked fine w/ my SIO2PC cable and APE. What are your settings for the serial port in APE?

~telengard

For some strange reason, I have a 130XE here that will not boot or read thru my SIO2PC cable (PC running APE). I recall seeing something about this somewhere - a fix or something? Can't find it here.

Anyone?

Hmm, I don't recall anything special. I was just doing this yesterday (played some River Raid, Ghostbusters, and Zaxxon). All worked fine w/ my SIO2PC cable and APE. What are your settings for the serial port in APE?

~telengard

I'll have to check on that but the settings are fine on all my 800XL's - no problems. Just this 130XE.

Are you trying it as the only SIO device plugged in?

I recall with at least one of the homebrew versions that they said to remove one of the components if it didn't work.

Can't remember though if it was the resistor or capacitor - fairly sure it wasn't the diode.

My guess would be to try a lower value resistor.

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is an AtariMax serial device. It works fine with my 800XL's.

I thought someone said something about doing something in the 130XE to the board near the SIO connector? Removing some caps? Maybe I am hallucinating again... (damned acid flashbacks :cool: ).

There are several caps on the 130XE (10 if I Recall) that you can remove... On older machines they are wired direct to the legs of the SIO Socket... On newer machines there are 6 to the left and 4 to the bottom right... (C301 - C310 I believe)

they were added to satisfy FCC rules, apparently if you remove them it increases the stability of the machines SIO... Also I would recommend only using the SIO2PC as the first device in the chain (tough as it's a dead end device)

Thats absolutely correct.. European models dont have these caps at all and function much better because of it.. If your 130xe has them, remove them.. They make the SIO chain unreliable as hell, and they are easy as hell to remove..

I may have to do that on that machine - in the meantime, I pulled another 130XE out of storage and it is working great!