IGNORED

What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about an old game

Cap'n Crunch - are you referring to Winn Schwartau?

No. Winn has nothing to do with Cap'n Crunch that I'm aware of. :ponder:

Cap'n Crunch is John Draper. The really funny thing about it all is that he isn't even the one that discovered the whistle trick, that was his friend Joe (Joybubbles) Engressia.

I brought my 2600 on school yesterday to record some footage for my video class. So anyway I booted it up and began to record some Missile Command and some kid behind me said to his friend "yo that shit's like from the 1800's!!". I turned around and faceplamed so hard I think I left a dent.

Either he was sarcastic or he cant count,or hasnt done his research,or all of the above.Anyway,the kid is off by 181+ years for missle command,and around 177 for the atari itself,if im not mistaking. :ponder: :rolling:

Edited by Rik

I brought my 2600 on school yesterday to record some footage for my video class. So anyway I booted it up and began to record some Missile Command and some kid behind me said to his friend "yo that shit's like from the 1800's!!". I turned around and faceplamed so hard I think I left a dent.

Either he was sarcastic or he cant count,or hasnt done his research,or all of the above.Anyway,the kid is off by 181+ years for missle command,and around 177 for the atari itself,if im not mistaking. :ponder: :rolling:

You forgot dumb.

I get told all the time that games that I play suck, because of the graphics.

Also, I was at Chuck E Cheese the other day playing pinball. A couple of kids came up to me and asked me, hey why are you playing that old game? I laughed and said I just love pinball. They came back 5 min later with me controlling a 4 ball multiball, they say, isn't that hard? I laugh and tell them, not bad for an old game eh?

Ah kids these days. They wouldn't know a good game if it came up and bit them in the ass.

It's great to draw a crowd around an older game. A bit of skill is really all you need. I've drawn crowds around Raiden DX, Daytona USA, Hydro Thunder, SCUD Race, Time Crisis, Manx TT Superbike, and many others. I think I've drawn crowds to Super Off Road, Galaga, and Gyruss as well.

I get told all the time that games that I play suck, because of the graphics.

Also, I was at Chuck E Cheese the other day playing pinball. A couple of kids came up to me and asked me, hey why are you playing that old game? I laughed and said I just love pinball. They came back 5 min later with me controlling a 4 ball multiball, they say, isn't that hard? I laugh and tell them, not bad for an old game eh?

Ah kids these days. They wouldn't know a good game if it came up and bit them in the ass.

It's great to draw a crowd around an older game. A bit of skill is really all you need. I've drawn crowds around Raiden DX, Daytona USA, Hydro Thunder, SCUD Race, Time Crisis, Manx TT Superbike, and many others. I think I've drawn crowds to Super Off Road, Galaga, and Gyruss as well.

I drew crowds on Galaga, DDR and Initial D Stage 3.

There was a story on Joystiq the other week about Time Warner potentially buying Midway. One of the posters said something to the effect of "Didn't Time Warner used to own Atari? Why do they always buy these crappy companies?" That's almost not fair though, because finding dumb quotes on Joystiq/Kotaku is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sometimes I'll get some comments about me playing old games too, however for the moment I don't seem to remember any statement in particular. Most of my friends who know of my appreciation of old games, but don't share it, have given up saying anything and just give me eyerolls or grins... ;)

However, what really frustrated me sometimes if I tried to show someone an old game and try them to understand whats so special about it, they sit down, play it for one or two minutes and then say something like "I cant stand those crappy graphics anymore", I say it's not about the graphics but the gameplay and they reply "well, but it hurts my eyes"... :sad: Come on, of course there are very unpleasant colors in SOME old games, but usually those I use to show already has "well aged" graphics to my understanding... So, are they lying? Propably not, why should they? Then are my eyes different in some way? :???:

Edited by Herbarius

I've drawn crawds arount Donkey Kong before. And the stupidest thing I've ever heard said about old games was on a youtube video where someone was using Megaman 2 in an attempt to demonstrate how bad the NES sucks.

I gotta laugh at people like that, in 10 years, nobodynwill even care or recognize the xbox 360. The NES and the 2600 however, will still be alive and well for years to come.

*A while ago, a friend of mine refused to believe that 2600, The Hacker's Quarterly was named in honor of the baud-rate of old modems.

Actually, 2600 is named for phone phreaking.

2600 Hz was important in phone phreaking. What one would do is, dial a cheap long distance call, like just outside your local calling area. Once the call was connected, you would inject a 2600Hz tone from your Black Box on the line and it would cause the remote side to hang up. But you were still on a LD circuit. Now, you play your special DTMF tones into the line (they are a different set then the normal DTMF that your phone generates these days) and you are connected to anywhere in the world for the price of your close long distance call.

This was in the early to mid '70s. Those of you old enough may recall that when making a long distance call, when the other side hung up, sometimes you'd hear a "chirp". That was 2600Hz. I think the Black Box worked on 800 numbers too, once those were invented.

(A Red Box simulated that tones of dropping coins in a pay phone, it actually worked by holding it up to the mouthpiece. There was also a Blue Box, but i forget what it did).

Jackass: Anything not on a disc is gay

Me: why is that?

Jackass: because it's old

After that it was just a 5 minute argument as to why I think he's a moron

Even discs are becoming obsolete thanks to the internet.

Every day I either bring my original Gameboy or Gameboy Color to school to play some good ol' Tetris and get some idiot either saying "yo get whit da times and buy a DS-i or a freakin' PSP" or "yo how much did you buy dat for??? Thats like ancient! you can probably sell dat thing on ebay for like $800."

IT'S SO ANNOYING!!! :x :x :x

Every day I either bring my original Gameboy or Gameboy Color to school to play some good ol' Tetris and get some idiot either saying "yo get whit da times and buy a DS-i or a freakin' PSP" or "yo how much did you buy dat for??? Thats like ancient! you can probably sell dat thing on ebay for like $800."

LOL some kid saw my Genesis Nomad today and said "Damn that thing's like the first console ever, right?". Also there's this kid in my class who's convinced that his plain black N64 will sell on ebay for $300.

"yo that shit's like from the 1800's!!".

Yo yo yo wazzup mah homiezz? He dis yo Atarizzle?

...fuck, I've been out of high school for 10 years, and that suburban rapper pseudo-slang is still popular? Isn't there supposed to be a expiration date on pop culture trends? Rap's been around for over 20 years, can we please move on to something that doesn't make everybody talk like they have severe head trauma? At least emo kids can enunciate. :D

"yo that shit's like from the 1800's!!".

Yo yo yo wazzup mah homiezz? He dis yo Atarizzle?

...fuck, I've been out of high school for 10 years, and that suburban rapper pseudo-slang is still popular? Isn't there supposed to be a expiration date on pop culture trends? Rap's been around for over 20 years, can we please move on to something that doesn't make everybody talk like they have severe head trauma? At least emo kids can enunciate. :D

I live in a lilly white town in the middle of Long Island. There's one rich black family. Yet everyone talks like they're black.

Someone told one of my friends at a game store once that Neo Geo Pocket Colors were worth about 700 dollars. I guess they were getting it mixed up with the AES but still, they sold video games for a living. They should know better.

I also had a girl (who was dating one of my friends at the time) tell me that nobody would ever love me because I had a classic video game collection. Luckily my girlfriend swoons every time she sees my collection.

Hey, if I met someone like that, I'd be tempted to do them a "favor" and offer it to them for about a quarter or half that :P Yeah, evil I know.

BTW, is there a tetris for DSi or PSP (probably, but I haven't seen it, if you have a DSlite, you could play a GBA tetris, but it's not as good IMO as the DMG one)

I used to haul my Lynx around a lot, and people were fascinated by it, and that was late 90's. Most people would say "yo, does that play atari games, cause I had one when I was a little kid" I assume they were talking about 2600, at the age of some of these people were, but still.

I also had a girl (who was dating one of my friends at the time) tell me that nobody would ever love me because I had a classic video game collection.

People like this greatly amuse me. If she's less than 17, it's only a matter of time before their shallow priorities get them seriously hurt. If they're old enough to know better, they become REALLY easy to mess with!

"Oh, I've long since accepted that no one will love me. I'm settling for meaningless threesomes with girls from the C=64 forum. BTW, if Cheryl994 calls, I'm not here."

"You're right. Chicks hate guys who are unique, interesting, and self-reliant. Excuse me while I steal from your purse so I can buy a motorcycle."

"Did you know you can make napalm from common household items?"

My friend and I once completely blew this kid's mind when we told him that Ocarina of Time was actually the fifth Zelda game, and not the first. (not counting the CDI games, no need to confuse the poor kid further)

Every day I either bring my original Gameboy or Gameboy Color to school...

Not quite the same thing, but I always get crazy reactions from people when they see my Micro, always wanting to see it and hold it and whatever. Reminds me of when I used to bring my Color to school back when it came out and kids would ask to see it, and they'd promptly (but unintentionally) overwrite my Pokemon save >_<

My friend and I once completely blew this kid's mind when we told him that Ocarina of Time was actually the fifth Zelda game, and not the first. (not counting the CDI games, no need to confuse the poor kid further)

I'm constantly amazed by how people can participate in this hobby and not have a CLUE about anything more than three years old. Nintendo doesn't exactly keep the history of Zelda games secret, either. In the same way, I wonder how people can go see movies based on old TV shows and NOT know there's a TV show involved. WTF?

When I was a kid, I used to get into arguments over the original Mario Bros., insisting that there WAS a Mario game before SMB. All the kids at my school called it "Mario 1", which to them meant that there could be no game prior to that one. And this was when the NES was still in full swing!

pretty much anybody who says atari games have bad graphics. imo theyre gorgeous, use your damn imagination.

is it any wonder kids have no sense of history? they've been taught that entertainment is utterly disposable and you must be playing old stuff because youre poor and can't afford "t3h 3-siddy and cod 4". musicians don't produce albums anymore, they produce ringtones. movies are made to be illegally downloaded and deleted, why savor what you just watched? you didn't pay for it so its disposable. nobody reads anymore and anybody who does is usually derided. why should games be untouched by the willful ignorance that infects this country? hell, even gaming consoles are made to be disposable these days *cough cough 360 cough*.

I'll be just about to buy a SNES for 30 or so dollars (Pretty fair) from someone who has it in there closet and will probably never play it again. Then someone else will come up and tell the seller "Dude! Don't sell that, you wanna know why? Because he (he being the buyer, me) is just going to wait a few years and sell it for like 800 dollars. It's probably worth like 300 now anyway!". So I calmly explain that I am buying it to play and I rarely sell video games and that the price of SNES's (just like any game or system) goes up a little then back down and then back up. But the seller is just like "yea right!" and walks away.

I was also explaining to my nephew that when he goes out and buys a game that he should buy a good game and not games based off of movies or TV shows (I know some are good, but as a general rule, it's easy to find something better). Then he turned around and said "But you do all the time! You have a lot of Sonic games and Mortal Kombat. You even have Doom!" I was like, "Uhh, no. The Sonic show was based off the games. And the Mortal Kombat and Doom movies were based off the games too"

Then I bring something like my GameBoy Advance or something somewhere and I get a huge crowd of people mesmerized by the system. They all are like "Wow, that's ancient" "You should sell that! You could probably get 800 dollars out of that, man!" "That's like the first video game ever!" "It used cartridges? That's like a billion years old man!"