IGNORED

What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about an old game

Hah. I own an O2. I love the O2. The O2 brings out a weird combo of snobby and stupid in collectors.

Usually, they'll tell you how much it sucks and how awful it is and then later say how great game (fill in the blank) is - and wouldn't it be awesome on the Atari?

Gah.

Hah. I own an O2. I love the O2. The O2 brings out a weird combo of snobby and stupid in collectors.

Usually, they'll tell you how much it sucks and how awful it is and then later say how great game (fill in the blank) is - and wouldn't it be awesome on the Atari?

Gah.

Well, only one 'conversation' comes to mind. Talking to a guy at work about gaming in general, I had just gotten a 32X and CD for my Genny (Uh-oh :) For all of 20 seconds, the guy carried on a semi-intelligent conversation about older games/systems, but I noticed that any system I brought up he called 'dead in the water', or some other cliche .... Didn't matter what system ... TG-16, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, GameCube, anything Atari....

Tangent: When will people get it through their thick skulls that the VCS is not a 4-bit system?

That one is annoying. It seems most people who talk about "bits" don't even know what they mean by it. They just use the term like it's some sort of class designation. I'm not sure many of them even know what a bit is.

I've seen some amazing conversations on youtube that go something like this:

"How many bits is the 2600? Isn't it 4?"

"Yeah, 2600 is 4 bits. And the ColecoVision must be 16 bit, because it's more powerful than the Intellivision."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tangent: When will people get it through their thick skulls that the VCS is not a 4-bit system?

For a while I thought the 2600 was a 4-Bit system, simply due to it's graphics.

Later on I learned that it had an 8-Bit CPU like the NES. But taking graphics into account, I still have trouble accepting it as an 8-Bit system...

Later on I learned that it had an 8-Bit CPU like the NES. But taking graphics into account, I still have trouble accepting it as an 8-Bit system...

i thought the 2600 was a 2 bit!

Actually, it is a 4-bit system. the Atari had a 6507 chip, a modified chip based on the 6502. while the 6502 was an 8-bit processor, the Atari can only handle up to 4Kb without Bankswitching.

Actually, it is a 4-bit system. the Atari had a 6507 chip, a modified chip based on the 6502. while the 6502 was an 8-bit processor, the Atari can only handle up to 4Kb without Bankswitching.

Huh? :?

Data bus = 8 bits

Address bus = 13 bits (this is where the 8KB of address space comes from)

Sprite size = 8 bits (also 3 other 1 bit objects)

Color registers = 7 bits

Playfield = 40 bits

Audio controll (voice) = 5 bits

Audio frequency = 4 bits

Audio volume = 4 bits

ect...

Depending on what you mean by 'x-bit system', I guess you could call it 4 bit bassed on its audio registers :ponder: Under that logic, you may as well call it 13 bit or 40 bit.

The only difference between the 6507 and a full fledged 6502 is the number of address lines (16 for the 6502, 13 for the 6507), and the lack of one of the interrupts.

Maybe in that magazine they called it "4-bit" not as a technical term but to differentiate it form post-crash 8-bit systems? However, then there should be at lest a * after that "4-bit" and then an explanation on the bottom of the page...

QUOTE (ovalbugmann @ Fri May 1, 2009 1:01 AM) *

what does facepalm mean?

Probably hitting someone in the face with their palms.

More like covering your own face with your palm - or both of them - like "I can't believe you really said that..." or "How could anyone really think THAT?"

Edited by Herbarius

The Intellivision is a 16-bit system.

Eat your heart out SNES!

I have heard MANY comments about my "older gaming habits". I'm sorry that I don't own a PS3...but from what I've heard, would I really want to? :ponder: And let's not even touch base with the non-functioning 360's out there. I'm not trying to disrespect the newer game systems, but I prefer the older gaming consoles to them in general. I GREW UP on this stuff, so it has just as much to do with nostalgia than anything else. And yes, price is a point.

I have other responsibilities these days, as do we all. I can actually afford an older gaming system AND the games! Back in the day, I really couldn't, or I had to wait for a couple of months between game purchases. And where I work now, sometimes gets in older computers and consoles. There's a TI-99 4/A complete with box and all the extras with games for free sitting here, ready for the taking. I can hear the kids now: "WHAT? Why would you want THAT old thing? The games SUCK!!!!" Yeah yeah...go watch your 360 generate it's "red ring of death"...have fun with that. :P

Anyway, trying to stay on topic here....the most I always hear is "The graphics of your system are soooo crappy!" What I always usually say in response: "Someday, you'll be old like me. I can't wait and I hope I'm around, because kids your age will be telling YOU your old system's graphics stink."

A sense of justice and balance in the world. What goes around, comes around. :D

• 3 weeks later...
The only negative I ever got on eBay would sum this one all up. It was removed, thankfully, but I once got a negative because the bidder didn't like the graphics on the 2600 version of Burgertime, and he said that.

:roll: :lolblue: