IGNORED

Red Steel 2 Trailer

Cybergoth

Yes you should play the first. Anyone who says you shouldn't is a big, fat tool. The only complaint that I ever see about the first game is that it is A) Not the most amazing FPS ever and B) doesn't have 1:1 sword fighting. Had this game not been a launch title for the much anticipated Wii, no one would have cared that it was more Halo 2 than Half Life 2, while were it released at any point after the first year of Wii releases no one would have expected 1:1 controls. Compared to the expectations from core gamers over what this game would be at the Wii's launch, the game comes up short. Compared to the games that have come out for the Wii, I'd say it's a pretty solid offering. Of course, it'll end up like E.T. for the 2600 because the internet has turned it into "worst game ever" because it was the 3rd party game most anticipated at the Wii launch, which was not the game's fault.

Incidentally, if you played Red Steel first when the Wii came out and hated it, I'd recommend going back to it now. In light of what the Wii is and isn't, and in light of what the game is and not what you thought it would be before the Wii launched, I think you'll see exactly how much the game does actually have going for it.

I really enjoyed the first game. Some aspects of the controls were wonky, but overall it was an enjoyable and at least somewhat unique FPS. I liked the setting, and the swordplay did get interesting near the end, once you learned a few moves. The graphics were inconsistent: some levels like the burning dojo and bamboo forest looked aweome, while others (the carwash) were awful. The VO for the main characters was great, but the one-liners from the "grunt" enemies were pretty bad. Despite these inconsistencies the game was pretty fun, and worth a play through.

When I first heard RS2 was going to be "cell shaded" I was not in favor of it at all, but the trailer looks pretty cool. Definitely back on my radar. If they make the FPS controls work like MP: Corruption or MoH: Heroes 2 and the WM+ swordfighting works well they'll have a winner.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Looks more like No More Heroes now. I actually was one of the few who liked the original style/graphics of Red Steel (besides the cut scenes). The control was way off though. It would constantly freak out on me, and zooming in was a nightmare. Metroid is much better in that respect, but it was still an ok game I guess.

Now all it needs is a villain who sports a Virtual Boy headset, like No More Heroes ;)

I thought the control on the first one sucked and ruined the game.

It sure did here.

When's the last time you tried it? Compare it to the bulk of Wii games and tell me the control is anything better than "above average for the Wii."

When's the last time you tried it? Compare it to the bulk of Wii games and tell me the control is anything better than "above average for the Wii."

Oh I agree with you completely. Many many Wii games control like crap. Still, better control than the usual crap, doesn't make it less sucky, maybe just not as a sucky as it be. Hopefully the WM+ will help this new game out.

Looks cool! I dont think that is the actual gameplay tho...It looks too good for Wii!

Maybe it will look different in fullscreen....that box is abit small to tell for sure..

I'd Almost get a we if it looks and plays well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks cool! I dont think that is the actual gameplay tho...It looks too good for Wii!

That's because most developers release games that wouldn't make a Dreamcast sweat.

I like HIGH VOLTAGE's quote:

“Developers and publishers kept saying the Wii was underpowered. We’re showing that it was underestimated.”

Now that they've raised the bar with THE CONDUIT, others are starting to follow suit.

• 3 months later...

Try again!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-wanna-red-steel-2/57420

Thanks, Al!

And the video looks pretty cool, though I still wonder how the controls are going to work...

For standard (The Conduit, Metroid Prime) Wii FPS:

use IR pointer to aim and turn

use analog to strafe/move.

use various buttons for other stuff.

But if you are using the Wiimote to swing your sword, how do you turn? Questions, questions...

Edited by vdub_bobby

• 3 months later...