IGNORED

big $ 4 rare carts to 'complete' collection? rationalize!

Derek

By my count there's 418 "original" released games. I own 402 of them. The other 16 I have as repros - including Out Of Control, which I agree is crappy.

We are all collectors here. But we're all different. Some collect games they like, others want a copy of every game ever made, some want boxes and manuals... We're all different. For those collectors who are completists and want it all, it's easy to rationalize paying big bucks for games, assuming they have the means. It's their hobby. And it's what they want.

For me, I'm a completist. But to me, that just means being able to play the game in my 2600 system. I don't care if it's an original or a repro. As far as I'm concerned, I now have a complete collection. I could care less about boxes and manuals. I may be a collector, but for me, the most important aspect of the hobby is actually sitting down and playing the games.

I think there are more than 418 official releases for the 2600. By my unofficial count I have at least 480 unique CIB's (not including repros of unreleased games) and by no means consider myself anywhere finished collecting. That's the beauty of collecting for the 2600, there really is no end to it. It's not boring as with other Atari systems. With the 5200 and 7800, I knew when the collections were complete so I sold them.

418 by my parameters - NTSC, released "back in the day" between 1977-1992, no prototypes, and only unique individual games. So there are no Sears titles for example.

I get it. My apologies. I counted Sears releases, Atari red box re-releases, and Atari grey box re-releases.

I dream of having a 'complete' collection but it really is hard to figure out what that is. I like the 418 number and it is a good list, not neccesarily my list, but a good one. Everyone has their own opinions but I would be happy with the 418 list.

Some will be out of my range unless good luck comes my way so I too have gone with some repros and am very happy with them. Label variations were a way for me to keep collecting games I could afford and keep my collection growing at an acceptable price while I waited to get other games. There are still some 1, 2, and 3 rarities I need because when I started years ago I tended to buy the most expensive games I could afford at the time figuring I'd go back to get the others some day.

That is the thing about the 2600, you can never have a 'Complete "complete"' collection, another pirate or one off is out there somewhere. Then again you can define parameters for your complete collection and then change them as time goes on.

I have well over 418 'unique' 2600 carts, wish I had the 418 carts on the list though.