IGNORED

big $ 4 rare carts to 'complete' collection? rationalize!

Derek

so if you see a copy of this game sitting in a thift store for 10 dollars would you

a) buy it / keep it

b) leave it

c) buy it / sell it

rather than fight what everyone else does, just leave people be. the only reason to get upset by this is if you actually do want these games but not pay the high prices

so if you see a copy of this game sitting in a thift store for 10 dollars would you

a) buy it / keep it

b) leave it

c) buy it / sell it

rather than fight what everyone else does, just leave people be. the only reason to get upset by this is if you actually do want these games but not pay the high prices

I'd grab up anything R6 and up for $10. If I already had it, I would resell it. If not, I'd keep it regardless of whether it was on my list or not.

I sure wouldn't pay $300 for a crappy game, but I definitely would buy a crappy game if I didn't have it and it was only $2. I am a true collector-at-heart. I just find some satisfaction in piecing together a collection from various sources over time. It's not based on money value, just pure nerdy "somethings missing here"; a way to make a challenge out of nothing, I guess.

I guess some it has to do with bragging rights. Since not everyone can have a certain game it becomes special in a way. You have something that not many of your fellow collectors have. With that being said I do think this hobby focuses too much on rarity. History and influence of the game seem to mean nothing. In way that's too bad.

Yeah, what was that rare game you own again? :D

By my count there's 418 "original" released games. I own 402 of them. The other 16 I have as repros - including Out Of Control, which I agree is crappy.

Out of curiosity, what are the other 15 that you only have as repros?

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

I'll still seek out an original Music Machine, Out Of Control, Universal Chaos and X-Man. But beyond these four, the rest are out of my reach.

a) buy it / keep it

b) leave it

c) buy it / sell it

If I saw it in a thrift store, I'd buy it and keep it if I want to play it. If it wasn't something I really wanted or had a duplicate, then I would sell it.

Yes, that is part of the fun...finding something like an R8 on the cheap. But I would never pay the real price.

By my count there's 418 "original" released games. I own 402 of them. The other 16 I have as repros - including Out Of Control, which I agree is crappy.

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

I'll still seek out an original Music Machine, Out Of Control, Universal Chaos and X-Man. But beyond these four, the rest are out of my reach.

You should be able to find the BOMB games around the same price, even less than the other 4 you are looking for (out of control, x-man, etc..) they just don't turn up very often :)

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

You should be able to find the BOMB games around the same price, even less than the other 4 you are looking for (out of control, x-man, etc..) they just don't turn up very often :)

In the six+ months of looking, I've only seen two of the four Bomb carts (NTSC) on Ebay. And they were both sold in the same lot with something like 200 other games. And the seller said that neither were working. And that's my big concern. Each game would probably cost over $200.00. And they have a tendency to break at any time. And that's an awful lot of money to spend on something that has a high failure rate.

So I think I'll stick with my Bomb repros. Now if they weren't made so crappy, yes, I'd shell out the money for the originals.

I get having a collection of games that you love, while your mp3 player shuffles appropriate 80's tunes as you play. That makes sense. That's how I like to re-visit this era, favorite 80's tunes with favorite games. That' fun. Paying $300 for a completely crappy game? That makes no sense to me, so somebody please spell it out to me:)

I think that's one of the great things about this hobby (the collecting part). Each person can set their own 'target collection'. For some, this may be all games possible, for others it may be all the games they had back in the day, some may enjoy collecting a particular company..... Almost an endless set of possibilities. Whatever the individual enjoys hunting for.

Each collector is unique, so it makes perfect sense that the goals and priorities would cover a vast range also.

I think the part I enjoy the most is finding old, neglected games and sytems. A little cleaning and TLC and something that was one spring cleaning away from the dumpster is transformed into something that can be once again provide some real fun; collecting, playing, or both.

I think that's one of the great things about this hobby (the collecting part). Each person can set their own 'target collection'. For some, this may be all games possible, for others it may be all the games they had back in the day, some may enjoy collecting a particular company..... Almost an endless set of possibilities. Whatever the individual enjoys hunting for.

absolutely ... realiing that getting all games boxed would cost me a fortune, i went to keeping one box of each company (well, plus the variations) and now i'm rather focusing on boxed 2600 consoles and catalogs ...

:)

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

In the six+ months of looking, I've only seen two of the four Bomb carts (NTSC) on Ebay. And they were both sold in the same lot with something like 200 other games. And the seller said that neither were working. And that's my big concern. Each game would probably cost over $200.00. And they have a tendency to break at any time. And that's an awful lot of money to spend on something that has a high failure rate.

So I think I'll stick with my Bomb repros. Now if they weren't made so crappy, yes, I'd shell out the money for the originals.

I agree. I owned all 4 then I popped in Assualt one day and it was broken. After that I sold them all, too much risk involved with keeping them.

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

I agree. I owned all 4 then I popped in Assualt one day and it was broken. After that I sold them all, too much risk involved with keeping them.

i'd recommend getting the pal versions ... they're dead cheap compared to the prices of the ntsc version ... and you can still play the repros on the side ...

or with a bit of work, you might be able to put the repro's pcb inside the original bomb carts ...

;)

I agree, this is a great way to describe the various approaches that collectors have. At a certain point, I decided for myself what the limits or parameters of my target collection would be, and so I feel like I have something reasonable but still challenging to attain. I might not ever truly realize that goal, but it makes me a little more grounded in my collecting efforts even if I would eventually get around to spending some big money on rare carts.

Since I refuse to pay over $150 for any cart I knew collecting would be a challenge for me. After a decade of collecting, I am still hopeful I will find that loose Music Machine at a tag sale. Or a Coke Wins at a church rummage sale. Unrealistic? Not really...

When I first started collecting, I would have never imagined I would have Tooth Protectors, CTCW, Glib, Waterworld, Crazy Climber, Quadrun or a complete in box Smurfs Save the Day considering my $150.00 limit.

After 10+ years I now have all those games and many more and have never broke my $150.00 rule.

Patience, hope, trades and a whole ton of fun over the years has paid off.

I wouldn't pay a thousand for a game, but I can totally understand someone who would. Collecting is a lot of fun, educational and requires a lot of patience.

We are all collectors here. But we're all different. Some collect games they like, others want a copy of every game ever made, some want boxes and manuals... We're all different. For those collectors who are completists and want it all, it's easy to rationalize paying big bucks for games, assuming they have the means. It's their hobby. And it's what they want.

For me, I'm a completist. But to me, that just means being able to play the game in my 2600 system. I don't care if it's an original or a repro. As far as I'm concerned, I now have a complete collection. I could care less about boxes and manuals. I may be a collector, but for me, the most important aspect of the hobby is actually sitting down and playing the games.

I think there are more than 418 official releases for the 2600. By my unofficial count I have at least 480 unique CIB's (not including repros of unreleased games) and by no means consider myself anywhere finished collecting. That's the beauty of collecting for the 2600, there really is no end to it. It's not boring as with other Atari systems. With the 5200 and 7800, I knew when the collections were complete so I sold them.

Edited by ntavio

My 16 repros are

1. AIR RAID

2. ASSUALT

3. ATLANTIS II

4. ELI’S LADDER

5. GAUNTLET

6. GREAT ESCAPE

7. MAGICARD

8. MANGIA

9. MUSIC MACHINE

10. OUT OF CONTROL

11. PEPSI INVADERS

12. UNIVERSAL CHAOS

13. VIDEO LIFE

14. WALL DEFENDER

15. X MAN

16. Z-TACK

i'd recommend getting the pal versions ... they're dead cheap compared to the prices of the ntsc version ... and you can still play the repros on the side ...

or with a bit of work, you might be able to put the repro's pcb inside the original bomb carts ...

;)

I got PAL versions first actually :) They play just fine on my commodore monitor ;)

I think there are more than 418 official releases for the 2600. By my unofficial count I have at least 480 unique CIB's (not including repros of unreleased games) and by no means consider myself anywhere finished collecting. That's the beauty of collecting for the 2600, there really is no end to it. It's not boring as with other Atari systems. With the 5200 and 7800, I knew when the collections were complete so I sold them.

Please add to his list then so we can discuss your additional games. His list is here...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5704

Curious as to what additional games you have.

We are all collectors here. But we're all different. Some collect games they like, others want a copy of every game ever made, some want boxes and manuals... We're all different. For those collectors who are completists and want it all, it's easy to rationalize paying big bucks for games, assuming they have the means. It's their hobby. And it's what they want.

For me, I'm a completist. But to me, that just means being able to play the game in my 2600 system. I don't care if it's an original or a repro. As far as I'm concerned, I now have a complete collection. I could care less about boxes and manuals. I may be a collector, but for me, the most important aspect of the hobby is actually sitting down and playing the games.

418 by my parameters - NTSC, released "back in the day" between 1977-1992, no prototypes, and only unique individual games. So there are no Sears titles for example.

418 by my parameters - NTSC, released "back in the day" between 1977-1992, no prototypes, and only unique individual games. So there are no Sears titles for example.

You do realize that Sears made three unique titles? Steeplechase, Steller Track, and Submarine Commander? :ponder: