IGNORED

Another RMT Conversion

Cybernoid

Yeah, I have several remixes in mp3 format and I decided to you tube Crystal Hammer this week to see what I could find (I found lots), then I wanted to see what our A8 could do.

I am happy with the result, but I am sure that Emkay can do better! He always manages to surprise me with the music. I strive to figure out half what he is doing...

I did discover that I do not like how RMT converts the envelope, I think it makes it less dynamic. I adjusted the envelopes manually.

Edited by Cybernoid

Ah I'm wrong...

This sound is also in Hobby Tronic '92 demo.

AND in the HALLE Project '93 side B demo disk.

It was indeed covered by Friday, in some digitized demo.

I was wrong with WAF.

Especially the Halle Project demo sounds very cool (on real equipment)

Edited by Marius1976

Suddenly I realised that in the TOP #3 demo (almost last part, with the unlimited bobs) this song is also used. Really cool to hear all those versions.

To complete the list again:

1) In Abbuc Hobby Tronic 92 side A (almost last part side A)

2) In Halle Project '93 side B demo by Friday (really cool, digitised version of this song; first part of demo)

3) In The TOP #3 megademo (almost last part (unlimited bobs))

4) Your RMT conversion (which is really amazing too!)

Any other demo's with this song?

thanks

Marius

Edited by Marius1976

Suddenly I realised that in the TOP #3 demo (almost last part, with the unlimited bobs) this song is also used. Really cool to hear all those versions.

2) In Halle Project '93 side B demo by Friday (really cool, digitised version of this song; first part of demo)

thanks

Marius

I think your zip file does not have the Hobby Tronic 92 Side A. It has side B. The demo by Friday digitized version is excellent.

I like the top # megademo. What is the mechanics, or coding trick, behind the unlimited bobs?

thanks

Marius

I think your zip file does not have the Hobby Tronic 92 Side A. It has side B. The demo by Friday digitized version is excellent.

I like the top # megademo. What is the mechanics, or coding trick, behind the unlimited bobs?

Personally I never did it or tried it but AFAIK the standard unlimited bobs are done by page flipping and drawing just the new position of leading bob(s). Let's say you have 3 empty screens. On first you draw the bob and show it, then you draw the bob in next step (moved) in 2nd screen and show it, then the same in the third. Then you go back to 1st screen (there is already the first bob in start position and you will add bob in next position so now you will have two bobs and so on. This way you have 4 steps before each bob. This of course works only if the bobs are the same on the same trajectory, same color and shape.

Another experiment by emkay.

This time 2 pokeys were used, caused by the fact that no RMT supports POKEY clocking arpeggios. Two pokeys make at least the impression possible that filter and frequency arpeggio fits very good together.

The only "trick" is the 16 bit channel for the bass tones. You know that you cannot use filter and 16 bit together. But a real one pokey / 3 channel version should be no problem...

ch.zip

Personally I never did it or tried it but AFAIK the standard unlimited bobs are done by page flipping and drawing just the new position of leading bob(s). Let's say you have 3 empty screens. On first you draw the bob and show it, then you draw the bob in next step (moved) in 2nd screen and show it, then the same in the third. Then you go back to 1st screen (there is already the first bob in start position and you will add bob in next position so now you will have two bobs and so on. This way you have 4 steps before each bob. This of course works only if the bobs are the same on the same trajectory, same color and shape.

Thanks. I thought about it last night and I figured it was something like that... I'll have to try some experiments...

Do you know how

Another experiment by emkay.

Thanks M! I like this experiment. The filtered bass sounds good. I'll have to try and few things with the filtered bass. Do you let RMT convert the arpeggios to notes when converting?

Here is a new experiment with lower lows and higher highs.

crystal_hammer12.zip

I wish that RMT would do a fourier transform on the samples and glean the major frequency or the top 3 major frequencies and put these notes into the note table for the instruments. I'll have to try looking at the spectrum in goldwave and see if doing this manually makes for good conversions...

thanks

Marius

for unlimited bobs you need at least 6-8 different screens...you are drawing on screen #+7 and display #, then draw #, draw#+1 etc...

I make the experience with my unlimited bobs approaches that if used less screens you loose the precision and the smoothness...

a very good example and one of the best is the hidden screen on Atari ST in ULM's Dark side of the spoon mega demo.

for unlimited bobs you need at least 6-8 different screens...you are drawing on screen #+7 and display #, then draw #, draw#+1 etc...

I make the experience with my unlimited bobs approaches that if used less screens you loose the precision and the smoothness...

a very good example and one of the best is the hidden screen on Atari ST in ULM's Dark side of the spoon mega demo.

4 screen are enough, with 6-8 screens you would eat too much RAM anyway if each screen has almost 8k. Look at this http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=154 demo. I checked it (recorder video from emu and looked at the individual fames in Virtual Dub) and IMHO it uses just 4 screens and is smooth enough.

Edited by MaPa

4 screen are enough, with 6-8 screens you would eat too much RAM anyway if each screen has almost 8k. Look at this http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=154 demo. I checked it (recorder video from emu and looked at the individual fames in Virtual Dub) and IMHO it uses just 4 screens and is smooth enough.

Awesome. Ok. So now I have an answer to one of my demo scene questions. I have another one...

How do you do the moving checker board with perspective? (Like in the car driving part of TOP #3 megademo or in Ball Blaster...)

OK, I know it is off topic, but I figure it is OK to hijack your own thread. :)

DLIs mainly.

you have prerendered board for the background gfx (i am thinking now for Trailblazer, Ballblazer or Dimension X)

so you are drawing each lane in separate colour. you are not drawing the checkboard but only the lanes.... and this background layer... is coloured with DLIs where you flip the "lane" colours. you have prerendered tables for the DLI for moving down... I have done it in this way... so I precalculated the colour table and the positions of the DLIs where the colour flip has to appear for moving down 1 checkboard square. I took the last check board as reference because this has the longest distance. In maths book I looked for perspective transformation or plane projection 2d/3d to get the formulars.

when you are now moving through the precalculated DLIs you have the illusion of moving up/down. So not really rocket science.

the horizontal move is done via DLI on every scanline and with soft scroll and again prerendered checkboard which is now longer than 1 screen. again you need only to move 1 square to left/right to get the illusion.

Thanks Heaven! I'll have to work on some code for a small checker board demo... Just to see if I can do it. ;)

Anyway, here is an update to my crystalhammer intro music conversion. It was done with the new v1.28 RMT, which is GREAT!

Does anyone like the 1.79MHz filter?

crystalhammerb.zip