IGNORED

post your gaming "horror" stories

Only one i remember is playing the A8 port of 'Defender' (the william's arcade game) this was the first time i'd got anywhere near the max score (9,999,900) and i had a sh**load of lives and smart bombs in reserve...finally after over 7.5 hours of gameplay i get to 9,980,000 and a few points later, the whole house went black (powercut) apparently there had been a gas explosion near the swimming baths they were knocking down, the powercut effected the immediate area (i.e. everything from pentonvile road to rosebery avenue)

This is an easy one for me. My home was burglerized back in 2004. They stole about $1,000 worth of my systems and games. :( I was getting close to completing Gran Turismo 3, achieving 100% completion that is! I must have spent well over 100 hours on that game alone. Never got any of my stuff back either. :( No insurance claim either...

• Like 1

Insurance rates would have spiked, and over a period of time, we'd actually be losing more money if we filed a claim... In the short run, you get your money back, but since they raise your rates if you file a claim, in the long run, you'll lose more money.

I was playing on an online game, Knight online, which if you have a fetish for online games I suggest you try it (free2play).

I was leveling up like crazy and got to level 36 in about an hour (and it's hard to get to lvl 40 in one whole day). I keep leveling up and then i get disconnected, thank god online games auto-save your level. I felt like that was it for the day, but then two hours later i feel like turning on my computer and start playing again. So i log back on and on the character select screen my priest, which i just worked so freaking hard to level up and get good armor for, is now naked (well not completely).

That's not even the worst part. Guess what number there is next to where it says level...........

That number was one. one one one one. I thought I got hacked and deleveled but you can't get below level 10 after you got over it. Apparently there was server rollback. They pretty much took the world and spun it backwards except none of my time was recovered. So I just quit on that character and decided to level up my lvl 54 mage, who is now level 66.

One flaw about knight online, well multiple flaws. Bugs, hackers, and it's freaking hard to level up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bump for this interesting and funny topic.

- The time I actually managed to get somewhere in Dragon Warrior, after hours of playing, and found out that the game didn't save any of my progress.

- Having my game reset several times while playing Atari 2600.

- Getting a game over just seconds away from killing the last ship in Space Battle on Intellivision.

- Having my little sister "accidentally" erase my 100% save game on Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase.

- Getting way far into the Sonic & Knuckles blue sphere game, getting into an arguement with my younger brother, and having him kick my in rage, causing me to lose all my progress.

• Like 1

I don't know if I should mention this to the entire planet earth, but one time when I was a kid (A KID I TELL YOU) me and my brother were playing Mario Bros. on the NES (the port of the arcade game) and we kept bumping each other into enemies which was so hilarious I peed in my pants enough to soak the seat and had to get paper towels. Yikes.

Reading all these stories, I'm glad I'm a only child and never loaned my games out to anyone. :D

Worst thing that has happened to me is buying one of those 'super huge' memory stack memory cards along with my PlayStation and Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics, and using that for all my saves. Well, a few months later you can guess what happened.....

Pokemon is one of those games with one save slot. Needless to say that countless times it gets erased when someone plays it. Billions of years ago when the game was newish, Nintendo had some machine they moved across america that you could plug your game into and get one of those special characters and I got one, yeah, that didn't last long before it got deleted.

Call this a series of Playstation Horror stories

I was playing Beyond the Beyond for the very 1st time, I was just beyond the half way point when my Playstation suddenly died. I did get a replacement and did finish the game 2 months later.

I like using my Gameshark when needed. When I finally got Namco 3 I wanted to finally beat the last 2 tracks in Pole Position 2. I entered the codes and started playing I figured I could even enter my high score on my memory card...which I did. Not realizing when I did that with those codes going it totally erased my memory card. Yes a complete wipe I lost every save on that card.

This happened recently just before my last move in fact. I just managed to get a copy of Syphon Filter 1, almost dirt cheap $3 in fact. When I finally unpacked everything and was ready to play my game again. I discovered the disc got broken during the move, and I almost had the game beat.

Back in the day, my parents used to let my oldest nephew (he was the only nephew at the time) play the SNES. He deleted both my Super Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country saves. Both games were practically 100% (missing a secret on SMW, and a couple on DKC). They didn't understand why I was angry about it. Clearly they don't grasp the amount of time needed to make that kind of progress in those titles! Maybe one day I'll get back around to making a master save like that again (one spot was always dedicated this way in any game I play).

I had just forgotten the pain I suffered with Donkey Kong Land on the Gameboy. My real pain is I bought 1 copy, then I contacted Nintendo at the time for a replacement and both games had the exact same problem. In this one level (I forget which) the game would not go past this one screen. I mean it would no scroll in either direction.

Anyone who has played Robot Arena 2 will tell you the horrors of "Havoc Glitches". These happen at random (although there are certain things that you can do to increase the odds of it happening), and they will send your robot flying in the air, sometimes making you unfairly lose a game.

Edited by Animan

Oh, boy, what a thread.

Imagine that, all of mine are on the NES:

one time, I started a new game of Dragon Warrior, I got to the city with the Magic armor (I think thats what its called)(past the green dragon) and the dang console gets the blinkies without me saving. This was before I replaced the 72-pin connector.

Another time, I was staying up untill 1AM, playing Kirby's Adventure, At that ugly vampire that somewhat was creepy back then, but makes a funny face when hit icon_lol.gif. well, this was before I knew how to beat his behind, so right as the boss fight started, the graphics glitch WAY up, freezes and makes funny noises, followed by blinkies. When I was little, It was my worst nightmare to have some electronic device wig out as bad as this time...

While this aint' the worst, it was the unluckiest WTF moment...Guitar Hero 3.

For some reason, I was having a super tough time beating Slash...and I was working to beat the levels so I could get to "Through the Fire and Flames". So, I played against Slash for like an HOUR...he kept flipping the board on me and kept beating me.

Finally, I sneak a victory over him. As the game is saving, and I'm being totally truthful, I'm reading the typical "Do not turn your power off; game saving" message that we all know so well. So I'm thinking to myself, "Who the hell ever turns off their power during a save?...what a maroon---"*....

...the lights go out. Tv. PS2.

The power in the whole building went out; just a blink, but enough for me to sit there in the dark going "huh?". And then I remembered the warning.

I powered the system back up.

Game save state was completely WIPED...it took me about three weeks to get up the nerve to do that again. Not that it was difficult, it's just I was pretty tired of GH by that point and the only reason I played it was to get to that Dragonforce tune.

Just odd how the fluke luck power outage happened just so...what, a fifteen second window?...at that specific point? When I 'just' beat Slash? When I commented how dumb someone would be to purposely turn off the power to a saving game? The whole thing creeped me out! :?:

Alright, I have but one horror story. (Am I lucky, or will I be on the game ruiners list?!)

This one is for the NES.

Alright, a couple years back I was bedridden with some sickness, I played the Original (Numero uno!) on the NES, I had gotten insanely far in the game, and got tired, as I was 10 at the time, and it was 11:00 or around that, I saved an shut the game off...

I really should have read when it said 'Hold the reset button when you power off!' :skull:

Alright, I have but one horror story. (Am I lucky, or will I be on the game ruiners list?!)

This one is for the NES.

Alright, a couple years back I was bedridden with some sickness, I played the Original (Numero uno!) on the NES, I had gotten insanely far in the game, and got tired, as I was 10 at the time, and it was 11:00 or around that, I saved an shut the game off...

I really should have read when it said 'Hold the reset button when you power off!' :skull:

Umm....the original what??? :?

This one is for the NES.

Umm....the original what??? :?

CRAP! I'm so stupid, I was supposed to put Final Fantasy, I'll fix that :dunce:

Not much of a horror story but one time i was playing True Crime:New York I finally got past the mission where you escape the insane asylum.....i Spent 2 hours getting through it, it was really tough for me. Anyway when i got past it i went to go save my game....well, the game froze while saving....waited 5 minutes....nothing was happening the system froze up....i reseted hoping the game had saved....nope....had to redo the asylum thing....got mad and never played the game again....the game had a habit of freezing on me anyway....I gave it away.....

Edited by bdog_147

More of a humorous anecdote - but there was this one time when I fell in a lava pit in the original Metroid, and the game wouldn't let me jump back out. The problem was, it had been a few hours since I'd last written down a password - and I'd gotten a lot more items since then.

In fact, I was down to needing just two more energy tanks before I'd have every one in the game! It took a full seventeen minutes before Samus finally died...

I made and ate lunch during that time! ;)

Edited by Kris Snyder

The day I woke up after playing Star wars Galaxies for 2 1/2 years straight and finding out that Sony Online Entertainment had done completely away with all my hard work by making me start over because they decided (without warning ) to change the entire system of play, so I quit along with 2.5 million other players that day....good times.... :x :x :x :x :x

Edited by Atari2600Lives

Hm. Let's see. I had a high school boarding school roommate that stole Kirby's Pinball from me. I finally replaced it this past week.

I don't have a lot of stories like this for consoles. I do have a few for PC games though... Like nearly getting to the end of Morrowwind, only to have the HD crash and lose the entire game. Thankfully, I'd backed up my important files, but save games were not among them. It was around 60 to 80 hours of gameplay. :|