IGNORED

Raiden Fighter Aces

GrizzLee

Screw XBLA.

I just picked this up. Saw it on the store shelf. Thank god we finally get some classic gaming goodness w/o having to pay for it on XBLA. I didn't think this was coming stateside.

For $20 this is a good deal... if you like classic shooters.

Achievements are a bit too easy. I think my son and I racked over 100 achievement point in 2 hours of play.

I wish they'd release the Gradius and R*Type series this way.

The controls are smooth as silk. Allows for levels of display resolution to give ti that old school look if you prefer.

So far, I'm lovin' it.

-Lee

Which store?

I got it at Gamestop.

The sad thing is, like the NAMCO Virtual Arcade Museum, this will probably not be widely accepted and you'll find it in a dicount bin in 6months.

I would love more of these types of compiliations. Imagine Iaruga, Radiant Silvergun, etc...

-Lee

I've played the main Raiden series and always enjoyed it, glad to see this spin off series finally get a home release in the US. Looking forward to checking it out since I've never seen a Raiden Fighters arcade cab.

I hear one of the achievements is to play for 96 hours (I assume to commemorate the year the first game came out in 1996), so that one will be one most of us never get unless you leave the system on for days at a time.

Hope this does halfway decent like Raiden III did on the PS2, then maybe we'll have a chance to see Raiden IV make it out over here (Been out in Japan for a while I hear on the 360).

Edited by Atariboy

unless you leave the system on for days at a time.

This used to be impossible since leaving your 360 on for longer than an hour would cause it to RRoD, but it should be a viable way to get the achievement now.

:ponder:

;)

Does this game feature online co-op play?

I may well pick this up even though I don't own a 360. Anything Raiden is worth snagging a copy of. I feel like Seibu kaihatsu probably outdid themselves with the Raiden Fighters. IMO, it is an excellent game.

It's quite a bit easier, though, than Raiden II was.

This is freakin insane AWESOME! I have been wanting to get the Seibu PCB for Arcade for YEARS on this. The board lets you switch out four carts I think, but good luck FINDING one outside Japan... With all four games this runs about $1000 (not including a machine to use it in) I've had a 25" vertical cab for this thing sitting around my house for years. I'm going to sell that and get this, should profit a bit.

spiboard.jpg

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax

unless you leave the system on for days at a time.

This used to be impossible since leaving your 360 on for longer than an hour would cause it to RRoD, but it should be a viable way to get the achievement now.

:ponder:

;)

Does this game feature online co-op play?

Another hour of play last night and I got another 140 or so acheivements.

Achievements are too easy. That aside, I am loving this game.

Regards,

-Lee

I hear one of the achievements is to play for 96 hours (I assume to commemorate the year the first game came out in 1996), so that one will be one most of us never get unless you leave the system on for days at a time.

You can't just leave it on for 96 hours and get the achievement. It only counts the time you actually played the game.

Not like anyone plays the old school games online anyway.

These type of games you seem to be able to find someone to play with.

Look at Aegis Wing, when did that come out? There always someone online willing to play that (usually 3 or 4 way) and this looks like it blows Aegis Wing away. Not that it matters, it doesn't support online.

Edited by moycon

Picked up the last copy in town. Excellent, excellent game. I always have loved the Raiden series of games. Most of the newer shmups are gimmicky. Tiny levels, and it's all about switching colors or shooting while you're close to baddies or whatever.

I want to blow stuff up. My shooter tastes are rooted firmly i the 16-bit era (which is why I love the PC Engine so much).

Great stuff here. It's all about blasting stuff, but there is some depth to the scoring system. Tons of ships, three games, and I've heard, even some scoring videos, and all for a measly $20.

Awesome!

The Gamestop website shows it as no one within 50 miles of me having it. You'd think there'd be a store within 50 miles of Dallas that had one. I know the Gamestop just up the street doesn't have it. I guess I could check Best Buy but they don't even have Namco Museum and this game isn't listed on their website.

Picked up the last copy in town. Excellent, excellent game. I always have loved the Raiden series of games. Most of the newer shmups are gimmicky. Tiny levels, and it's all about switching colors or shooting while you're close to baddies or whatever.

I want to blow stuff up. My shooter tastes are rooted firmly i the 16-bit era (which is why I love the PC Engine so much).

Great stuff here. It's all about blasting stuff, but there is some depth to the scoring system. Tons of ships, three games, and I've heard, even some scoring videos, and all for a measly $20.

Awesome!

AMEN BROTHER!!!

-Lee

I love shooters.... I played many on the old Genesis.... so the PC Engine (turbograhics16?) has some good ones too?

fill me in!

-rick

The Gamestop website shows it as no one within 50 miles of me having it. You'd think there'd be a store within 50 miles of Dallas that had one. I know the Gamestop just up the street doesn't have it. I guess I could check Best Buy but they don't even have Namco Museum and this game isn't listed on their website.

None in a 100 mile radius of here has it. I'm assuming only stores in larger population centers recieved copies, seems unlikely everyone around here sold out immediately (Even with just 1 copy per GS, I doubt every location here saw it grabbed up almost immediately). Some GameStops have gotten copies though, just not around here...

I had to order online. Probably be like Raiden III was for me and the next time I'm in a GameStop for the next year after ordering online, they'll have new copies in stock...

Edited by Atariboy

I love shooters.... I played many on the old Genesis.... so the PC Engine (turbograhics16?) has some good ones too?

fill me in!

-rick

Shooters of all shapes , sizes and types make the PC Engine a must have. The Turbo GraphX had a few good ones, but Japan got all the goodies.

If a shooter genre has ever been done (with few excpetions) it has probably been done before on the PC Engine. Toilet Kids... thats a bizarre shooter if I ever saw one.

-Lee