IGNORED

Raiden Fighter Aces

GrizzLee

I love shooters.... I played many on the old Genesis.... so the PC Engine (turbograhics16?) has some good ones too?

fill me in!

Dude, if ever there was a reason to import, it's the PC Engine. Most systems of that era have four or five a-list shooters. The PCE has DOZENS. Seriously, it's become my favorite system next to the old 2600. Soooooo much awesome stuff. It was as popular in japan as the NES was here, so there are gads of great titles of all genres. As far as shooters go, here's a few to get you started:

Gate of Thunder = Thumpin' sound track, inspired levels, great game

Lords of Thunder = Power Suits, shops, selectable levels, items, and graphics that resemble a Neo Geo game.

Salamander = vastly superior version of Life Force

Xevious Fardraut Saga = Best Xevious ever

Gradius I & II = best ports of both on any console

Image Fight = This title seperates the men from the boys. Not pretty, but a shmup fans dream

1943 Kai: 1943 on crack

Sapphire: uber rare, gorgeous shooter with fmv, real polygons, and graphics better than a PS1 shooter on a 16 bit system. Needs the arcade card

Daisenpu: Fun, cheap 1943 knockoff with a neat special weapon system

Aero Fighters: Tough, fast, and fun.

R-Type: Beautiful clone of the arcade. Tough as hell.

Raiden: It's Raiden. 'nuff said.

Parodius Da: Konami cute 'em up. Fun, different.

Fantasy Zone: Cute, fun, weird

Darius Plus: Underwater themed shooter with steep difficulty

And that, my friend, is not even scratching the surface. There are probably fifty or sixty more shooters to list. Add those to the tons of great platformers, puzzle games, fantastic strategy titles like the Nectaris series (the best console strategy series ever) and Macross: Eternal Love Story which allows you to command all the mechs from Robotech .... but I gush.

Best 16 bit system ever. It's a damn cryin' shame US gamers never got to see the true potential of the Turbografx over here.

I love shooters.... I played many on the old Genesis.... so the PC Engine (turbograhics16?) has some good ones too?

fill me in!

Dude, if ever there was a reason to import, it's the PC Engine. Most systems of that era have four or five a-list shooters. The PCE has DOZENS. Seriously, it's become my favorite system next to the old 2600. Soooooo much awesome stuff. It was as popular in japan as the NES was here, so there are gads of great titles of all genres. As far as shooters go, here's a few to get you started:

Gate of Thunder = Thumpin' sound track, inspired levels, great game

Lords of Thunder = Power Suits, shops, selectable levels, items, and graphics that resemble a Neo Geo game.

Image Fight = This title seperates the men from the boys. Not pretty, but a shmup fans dream

Sapphire: uber rare, gorgeous shooter with fmv, real polygons, and graphics better than a PS1 shooter on a 16 bit system. Needs the arcade card

Daisenpu: Fun, cheap 1943 knockoff with a neat special weapon system

Aero Fighters: Tough, fast, and fun.

R-Type: Beautiful clone of the arcade. Tough as hell.

Darius Plus: Underwater themed shooter with steep difficulty

And that, my friend, is not even scratching the surface. There are probably fifty or sixty more shooters to list. Add those to the tons of great platformers, puzzle games, fantastic strategy titles like the Nectaris series (the best console strategy series ever) and Macross: Eternal Love Story which allows you to command all the mechs from Robotech .... but I gush.

Best 16 bit system ever. It's a damn cryin' shame US gamers never got to see the true potential of the Turbografx over here.

Good list, but I prefer my Saturn + Import shmups because of better graphics and the beginning of bullet hell.

Wow, I never played this game in the arcade. I didn't know what I was missing.

The Gamestop website still claims this game isn't for sale within 100 miles of me. Somehow I doubt there was one copy in the entire Dallas metroplex and it happened to be at the store I normally frequent.

Wow, I never played this game in the arcade. I didn't know what I was missing.

The Gamestop website still claims this game isn't for sale within 100 miles of me. Somehow I doubt there was one copy in the entire Dallas metroplex and it happened to be at the store I normally frequent.

The same thing happened to me. I decided to go and check it out anyway, and I managed to snag their last copy. I played this game for a few hours this morning, I have never heard of it until now, but it is really fun. I already beat the first game, now trying to get the "one quarter" achievement.

fill me in!

How about a link to a turbografx website? I like reading reviews of games for systems i never owned...

-rick

fill me in!

How about a link to a turbografx website? I like reading reviews of games for systems i never owned...

-rick

Here you go Zeptari1:

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/index.htm

Gate of Thunder

Image Fight and part 2 = This title seperates the men from the boys. Not pretty, but a shmup fans dream

Daisenpu and Custom: Fun, cheap 1943 knockoff with a neat special weapon system

Aero Fighters (could only find Aero Blasters): Tough, fast, and fun.

R-Type and Part 2 and CD version Complete: Beautiful clone of the arcade. Tough as hell.

Darius Plus and Alpha: Underwater themed shooter with steep difficulty

Thanks to Lord Thag for the list, I just added links to it. Some real gems there.

fill me in!

-rick

Here you go Zeptari1:

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/index.htm

Gate of Thunder

Image Fight and part 2 = This title seperates the men from the boys. Not pretty, but a shmup fans dream

Daisenpu and Custom: Fun, cheap 1943 knockoff with a neat special weapon system

Aero Fighters (could only find Aero Blasters): Tough, fast, and fun.

R-Type and Part 2 and CD version Complete: Beautiful clone of the arcade. Tough as hell.

Darius Plus and Alpha: Underwater themed shooter with steep difficulty

Thanks to Lord Thag for the list, I just added links to it. Some real gems there.

You forgot Toilet kids and some good US releases like Blazing Lazers, Galaga 88 etc.. There are a bunch of others as well. They even have the standards, Space Invaders, Xevious, ... all good stuff.

-Lee

I'm reminded why Gamestop sucks. Naturally they couldn't be bothered to leave the damn game sealed in the case. I brought it home and put it in my 360. It's stayed there ever since. Yesterday, the second day I had the game, my 360 tells me it can't read the disc. I pulled it out and see no scratches but being that I didn't get the game sealed in a case to begin with I'm taking it back to Gamestop today and demand a sealed copy or a refund.

I'm still trying to figure out why I didn't just order one from Amazon when it came out instead of waiting for the local Gamestop to get one in. I guess I keep forgetting this particular Gamestop pulls news games from their cases. The Gamestops I went to in Kansas never did that.

I also prefer my shooters to be about shooting, not about stupid bullshit like Ikaruga and so many modern "shooters" are.

I got the notice that the game shipped today. With a little luck, I may have it this weekend. If not, I'll have it next week.

I completely agree. Ikaruga was complete BS.

Picked this up a couple of days ago and can barely stop playing it. Magnificent stuff and simply ridiculous value for money. Here's hoping it does well for Valcon - it'd be nice to see them bring a few more Japanese shmups over here.

Picked this up a couple of days ago and can barely stop playing it. Magnificent stuff and simply ridiculous value for money. Here's hoping it does well for Valcon - it'd be nice to see them bring a few more Japanese shmups over here.

What's bad is I took my messed up copy back tonight. Gamestop didn't have another copy to give me. The dude told me they got two copies in. One went to his boss and I bought the other one. He called another store and they only had 1 copy of it.

No other local stores, besides Gamestop even seem to have this game and Gamestop didn't ship many of them.

Edited by HammR25

No other local stores, besides Gamestop even seem to have this game and Gamestop didn't ship many of them.

Yeah, it's one of those niche titles where there's only ever going to be one or two copies at a given store. I think if it ends up shifting 15,000 - 20,000 copies it'll be a major triumph.

Have you tried Walmart? I know that a friend of mine picked up his copy from their bargain bin.

I snagged a new copy from Amazon. Is this an option for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Raiden-Fighters-Aces...mp;s=videogames

I traded my screwed up copy for the 1 copy at the other Gamestop last night. Basically I got the last copy at two different Gamestops.

got my copy yesterday for 20 bucks at play n trade. Awesome game but few people play it online sadly (so far anyway) I haven't played much not even an hour but will shoot for the 96. Lots of achievements and games to play on my 360 and my old school stuff keeps side tracking me. And school and work to. meh./

Mine arrived today.

Sadly, I only got to play it for 10 minutes at lunch. After I got home from work, a friend wanted to play Civilization Revolution. So, Civ ate my night.

But what I did play made me very happy. I'd rather have Strikers 1999, but this will do.

got my copy yesterday for 20 bucks at play n trade. Awesome game but few people play it online sadly

My guess based on the information, no people play it online because they can't. :cool:

I assume he's talking about uploading their scores. Since a person has to actually go to the XBox Live section of the game to upload there scores, most people don't bother. I played the third game for the first time on Arcade as the level of difficulty and was ranked 51st overall and 5th with that particular vehicle. I'm used to being ranked 10,000th when I play games.

I'm currently watching the world record clip for normal normal first game. This guy is just absolutely incredible. I just looked and there are 702 total people who have uploaded their scores for the first game at Normal Normal skill level.

Being able to watch other people's clips on XBL is pretty cool. Looks like you can also save them to your hard drive if you like once you're done watching them.

Want to know how good this game is? I mentor a kid who is a gamer, and over the last four or five times he's come over, we've played this game for HOURS each time. It's soooooooo damn fun. Each game is overflowing with tricks, hidden fighters, secrets, and more. The kid doesn't have a job, but he scimped and saved and bought one on amazon.

I think, at this point, I can honestly say that Raien Fighters Aces is the best budget title I have ever bought. Certainly, it's the most played. It's crowding out Sacred 2 and Punch Out, truth be told.

I envy the Japanese. They get awesome shooters like this every other week.

My copy shipped today. Seemed like it took longer than usual to ship. I wonder if this title is more popular than the producers anticipated. If so that can only be a good thing because then others will follow suit and release decent cheap shooters like this.

Raiden IV is now confirmed for a August release date in North America. :)

Now all we need is a home port of Raiden DX someday and we'll have excellent home conversions of the entire series (Raiden Project on the PSOne for the first two titles, Raiden III on the PS2, and the two Xbox 360 titles).

Edit - Looks like Raiden DX saw a release on the PSOne in Japan. Too bad that never made it out over here, though I don't think it was significantly different than Raiden II. Would be nice to get the Raiden spin off Viper Phase 1 someday too.

Edited by Atariboy