IGNORED

Commodore 64 Emulation

Hey Everybody,

I was wondering if anybody could give advice about emulating Commodore 64 games. I downloaded a torrent with about 5000 roms but it didn't come with an emulator, and I'm wondering: what is the best emulator?

Also, over a year ago I did try a little Commodore 64 emulation because a friend recommended a few games (Mr Robot, H.E.R.O., and Crime and Punishment). The results weren't so great because I could only figure out the controls by testing every key on the keyboard. Are there any resources online that list control schemes for Commodore 64 games? This would be extremely helpful for a C64 newb like me.

While I'm at it, what are the must-play Commodore 64 action games?

-Adam

WinVICE has emulators for C-64, PET, C-128, Plus/4.

It easily has the best combination of accuracy and ease of use. It's got a standard Windows interface and is a bit like Atari800Win+ to use.

There's also CCS64 (sp?), but it's a bit of a pain to use.

For the Plus/4, I think YAPE is the most accurate emulator although that might have changed.

Games? Plenty. Impossible Mission, Armalyte, Delta, Last Ninja series, Leaderboard Golf, Monty on the Run etc etc. I think Lemon64 should have a rating board for users, and they usually give a decent indication of what games to grab.

Grab WinVICe here http://www.viceteam.org/

Vice 64 is one of many good emulators I agree.

Controls and manuals go here:

http://project64.c64.org/

Atariage type website thats been around forever:

lemon64.com

TOO MANY good games maybe more than any other system combined. :P

Quick list:

Beach Head 1 and 2

Trolls & Tribulations

Realm of Impossibility

Bruce Lee

Conan

Zorro

Space Taxi

Pogo Joe

Commando

Jumpman

Jumpman Jr

Raid Over Moscow

California Games

Skate or Die

All Atari and Activision games

The list can go on forever.

Edited by cimerians

Could anybody give me some advice as far as how to install the emulator? I can't find instructions on how to build it in windows inside the docs folder and also can't find an exe. Sorry, I'm used to emulators like the NES and Genesis ones that are super simple.

-Adam

Argh, I've loaded up Ultimate Wizard in WinVice and I cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to get my controls to work. I went into joystick settings (since Ultimate Wizard is a joystick game) and set the settings to custom, then configured my controls, and none of them worked. I then tried their numpad + Rctrl settings, and those didn't work either. Under options, I've tried having both "Enable Joy Keys" on and off, with no difference. I've also tried "swap joystick" numerous times. This is very frustrating. Can anybody help?

-Adam

I use a USB controller with it and everything is working great. Have you tried loading different games to see if your problem is a messed up game?

Yeah, I should've tried other roms. H.E.R.O. works fine. I tried a different rom for Ultimate Wizard and had the same issue where I couldn't get any control input to work. I guess the rom must be busted.

-Adam

Well it's looking like it's all joystick-related games that I'm having issues with. I got Zaxxon loaded up as well but again had no input while trying to map joystick buttons to keyboard keys. I'm thinking that this might be a bug, I've tried every sensible thing I can think of to fix the issue to no avail. Of course, I could just be missing something (and I hope that I am).

-Adam

Ok thanks guys, finally able to play the joystick enabled games. The emulator has another interesting little *ahem* "quirk" where when you press swap joystick it swaps the joystick settings from joystick 1 and 2 as well as swaps the joystick. So when I had my settings only set on joystick 2, and then said swap joystick, well it swapped to joystick 2...but it also took my settings and swapped them to joystick 1, so again I couldn't get any control input; what unintuitive crap, my god.

-Adam

Ok, another problem. So with the games that have those long loading screens that just sort of loop (hacked by Coolslyce for all you C64 lovin motherfingers), do you have to press a button to go on to the game? Or is the game frozen when you get one of these screens never progressing? Thanks again for all your help.

-Adam

You mean the demo/intros done by the crackers? Normally you'd hit space or the joystick fire button. Some games (when loaded) also require that you hit the C64's 'F1' key to start.

Ah ok. Oh, what's the default key for Run/Stop? Some game are asking you to press that to start as well.

-Adam

what's the default key for Run/Stop?

Nevermind, it's Caps Lock. I'll have to remember to turn it off after finishing with emulation ;).

For any of you reading this who have never emulated Commodore 64 games before, I suggest it. I've been playing Aztec Challenge a lot and have loved it, and that's only one of the thousands of roms I have. It seems like the C64 has a whole treasure trove worth of hidden gems.

-Adam