IGNORED

Richman's Word Processor with "Column 80"

Fletch

BUMP Quoting myself again... Can someone please provide an image of a sector copy (even if it includes bad sectors)? I really want to crack this (again).

Thanks.

I'd be happy to do this for you, but sadly my disk appears to have failed. I had lent the disk to Wade from Inverse Atascii for a review and he was unable to get it to load. He sent it back and I also cannot get it to load. It gets only a couple of sectors in and then BOOT ERRORS.

Not sure what happened, but I'm thinking a combination of age and shipping must have done it in.

Maybe you can try to contact Bob Puff and see if he has any of these left. He sent me a copy of the manual several years back so maybe he still has a disk or two.

Sorry.

-Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. Sorry to hear that your disk got damaged. You can try to sector copy it using a tool that ignores bad sectors, and see if the main program file is still readable. It may only be the DOS.SYS file that is bad. If I remember correctly (and that's a BIG if), the protection is very simple, only a binary segment near the beginning of the file.

In the meantime, I'll try to find Bob.

I got it to load exactly one time when I first received it. Then I spent months thinking it was my drive, replacing parts, and even bought a NEW drive, still no go. I feel horrible that it stopped working while I had it. Truly very sorry Peter.

Wade, do not fret. The disk is 30 years old and has some bizarre copy protection scheme to boot. Frankly I'm shocked it still worked when I last looked at it. Someone else must have a usable disk out there.

Again, no worries at all. I'm happy we gave it a shot at a proper review.

-Pete

• 5 months later...

I have been looking for that one for a long time. If I remember correctly, it uses a very nasty copy protection system.

If anyone has this, please make a sector copy with a program that ignores bad sectors and continues on to the next sector. A non working dump is better than NO dump. If I can get a dump, I *may* be able to fix it if I can remember how the protection was done.

Now we may be getting somewhere... Are there any volunteers with good copy software and good equipment who are confident enough to take on this project?

The most important part is to not damage what may be the last good copy of this program.

We would all highly appreciate it!

:) :) :)

I can vouch for Farb. I just sent him a bunch of disks and got them back on good order. However I don't see how he could guarantee anything with 30 year old media.

Man, I'd NEVER guarantee anybody anything when it comes to dealing with 30 year old 5.25" floppy disks! Some of those things can self-destruct on the first read attempt after all those decades. They can flake off, some have mold, and you have to clean the drive after every disk, because if you don't, any thing left behind by one disk can make a nice deep grove in the next.

Keep your scary movies and Halloween, those old disks are what nightmares are really made out of!

A lot depends on the storage conditions. For instance, a damp basement is not the best. You can usually tell a lot by looking at the disk surface. Personally, I've had no problems with CSS disks in storage going all the way back to my first purchase -- "The Pill" which was probably 1982 or 1983. Then there is the pragmatic side -- if the disk is going to self-destruct when it is read, what good is the disk for anything? Frame it and hang it up as a decoration? :grin: Using a good drive with clean heads ( and caring hands) is the best you can do.

-Larry

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I couldn't get it to load on my 800XL (with U1MB). Is there a trick?

I just booted it from RespeQt into a real 800 (in XL mode)

Oops. Requires OmniView-XL.

Edit: As little bits of this slowly come back to me, I never did get the 80 col. soft OS to work. The protection is gone, so there must be a soft-omniview type thing that can be made to work.

Edited by Kyle22

OK, I just got it to work with normal OS.

1. Boot with another DOS and rename POORMAN.AR1 to POORMAN.COM.

2. Boot the disk and run OMNIVIEW.COM.

3. Press START to reboot with soft-80 OS.

4. Run POORMAN.COM

Edit: I guess I had that one set up for OmniView, and forgot how to use the soft-OS... Please ignore my earlier ramblings. I was thinking out loud again :)

Edited by Kyle22