IGNORED

Atari 800XL hardware mods

infected

Hi! I just bought an Atari 800XL off an Norwegian auction site. What i didn't know was that the atari was modded. Its got a RAM expansion and something other weird stuff. Its a midi/gameport hooked up to some small chips on the main board. I've uploaded some pictures so you guys can have a look and tell me what i've got here and what i can use it for :P

Pics

It almost looks like a mod to use a 15 pin PC style joystick on the Atari.

Hi! I just bought an Atari 800XL off an Norwegian auction site. What i didn't know was that the atari was modded. Its got a RAM expansion and something other weird stuff. Its a midi/gameport hooked up to some small chips on the main board. I've uploaded some pictures so you guys can have a look and tell me what i've got here and what i can use it for :P

Pics

Pics

It has a Rambo 256k Mem Upgrade in it.

OOps... you already knew that!

Edited by bf2k+

Might be an add-on to use an XEGS keyboard on an 800xl - tied into the keyboard circuit, I think. Anyone have an XEGS internal show to show how the keyboard is tied in?

That sound more like it since the gender of the connector is opposite of a joystick.

The XEGS keyboard has the 2 multiplexor chips inside the keyboard rather than inside the computer.

So, a mod for the XL should in theory just connect the cable directly to the relevant Pokey pins, as well as supplying the +5V and Gnd to the connector.

Without looking it up properly... I think there should be around 10 wires in use.