IGNORED

Atari 800 questions

Bripilot

I recently scored an Atari 800, 400, 410, and 2 2600's off craigslist for $35.

I've done some searching and can't seem to easily find the answers to these questions, so I'll start a new topic:

1. I seem to remember there was an easy way to tell if my 800 had the GTIA capability. If I remember right, it was simply trying a GR. 9 command, but since I don't have the machine currently hooked up, I can't test that. Can anyone confirm?

2. I have my 800XL upgraded with the Super Video upgrade. I never realized just HOW MUCH difference that made until I hooked my 400 up and saw the factory default configuration on the same monitor. Is there any such upgrade for the 400 or 800 to clean up the video?

3. Are there any other upgrades I could do to my 800 that would be worthwhile?

4. Does anyone have the documentation scanned for the RAMBO-XL upgrade? I have one for my XL in mint (never installed) condition, but I need to get the docs to do the upgrade.

Thanks for the info in advance!!!

Brian

1. POKE 623,64

if the screen goes black, you're GTIA.

I'd highly doubt you have CTIA - lots of CTIA machines had a field service upgrade to GTIA. If you did have a CTIA machine, it might actually be considered valuable since they seem to be pretty rare.

2. There's an article somewhere from an old magazine "Little brother grows up" or something like that to give the 400 a monitor port. That aside, I personally don't really find fault with the video quality of the 400/800 - it's much better than later machines.

2. I have my 800XL upgraded with the Super Video upgrade. I never realized just HOW MUCH difference that made until I hooked my 400 up and saw the factory default configuration on the same monitor. Is there any such upgrade for the 400 or 800 to clean up the video?

The 800 won't need its video cleaned up. Compare its chroma/luma output to your Super Video 800XL's, I bet the 800's picture is cleaner.

Well, I just realized I don't have a basic cartridge for the 800 and 400... I thought there was one in the box, but it turned out to be an old Donkey Kong. Anyway... guess I'll have to wait until I find one to check the GTIA capability.

You can run a GTIA application or demo like one posted in msg #6154 of Atari vs. Commodore thread that doesn't require BASIC.

1. POKE 623,64

if the screen goes black, you're GTIA.

I'd highly doubt you have CTIA - lots of CTIA machines had a field service upgrade to GTIA. If you did have a CTIA machine, it might actually be considered valuable since they seem to be pretty rare.

I have an Atari 400 w/GTIA so what does "field upgrade" mean. Someone put it in after they bought it or was it done before the machine was sold? The machine I have doesn't look like it was ever opened.

"Field upgrade" - according to articles at the time, Atari offered the GTIA replacement fitted for existing owners free, performed at any authorised Atari Repair Centre.

Unsure, but OS-B to replace OS-A might have also been offered as a free one. Of course for 800 owners, it's a DIY for practically anyone since it just involved changing the personality board.