IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 19 "Plutos"

darthkur

Plutosfront.png

s_Plutos_25.png

It seems that the virulent VX-9 virus has miraculously survived the supposed cleansing five years prior on the planet Sirius. It is now infesting the planet Plutos and has transformed the surface into a swarming bio-mechanical malevolence. You must fly there immediately in your AX StarfighteR -Type 242 and stop this nanotechnological nightmare before it spreads across the galaxy.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: One player. To select one player the right side difficulty must be changed. When using the Prosystem emulator the F5 key must be held down before depressing the fire button, which will start the game.

Contest ends on: 6-22-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: famicommander - 145,000 +11

2nd: keitaro - 137,050 +10

3rd: xZanU - 107,800 +9

4th: aftermac - 94,750 +8

5th: darthkur - 90,000 +7

6th: atomickneedrop - 81,500 +6

7th: Atarifever - 41,200 +5

8th: roadrunner - 25,800 +4

9th: LaserHawk - 20,150 +3

Current Standings:

1st - Darthkur (123)

2nd - famicommander (116) (3)

3rd - keitaro (101) (1)

4th - xZanU (97) (4)

5th - roadrunner (85) (2)

6th - atomickneedrop (77) (1)

7th - gdement (66) (1)

8th - HammR25 (64) (1)

9th - aftermac (61) (1)

10th - AtariFever (47)

11th - suaiden (38) (1)

12th - Sauron (37) (2)

13th - doctorclu (34)

14th - Almost Rice (32)

15th - shadow460 (25)

16th - chuckwalla (22)

16th - Shannon (22)

17th - LarcenTyler (18)

17th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

18th - LaserHawk (17)

19th - MrBeefy (14)

20th - Kurt_Woloch (11)

20th - ratfink (11) (1)

21st - Allan (10)

21st - theKLT (10)

22nd - Lord Thag (8)

22nd - thursday83 (8)

23rd - midnight magicman (7)

24th - Artlover (5)

24th - mightymage (5)

25th - AdeptRapier (4)

25th - bfutrel (4)

25th - Zoyx (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Unfortunately there is no manual for Plutos available.

Edited by darthkur

post-21467-1244606794_thumb.png

Ah HA! So I figured out a big thing. At least I think so. Each weapon type [1], [2], [3] Has a max of 4 Stages of that weapon. So if you pick up weapon [1] 4 times in a row (Without grabbing [2] or [3] in between, you basically get a supercharged super rapid fire weapon [1]. I've taken weapon [1] and [3] all the way through their paces.

Weapon [3] is my least favorite. It is a fat slow laser blast, it gets stronger at 4, but is still less useful that [1] and [2].

Weapon [2] starts out with the balls that fire out the sides and one up the middle, this is a really nice weapon. At the second stage it does a triad of missiles. I did manage to focus enough one time to get it to its third stage (never got stage 4 with it) and it was this awesome curved shield weapon. I wish I new what the stage 4 weapon [2] was!

Weapon [1] is the standard pea shooter you start with, at stage 2 it is bit nicer and stage 3 gives you more shots per second. At stage 4 it is totally badass, really powerful very fast rapid fire. Definitely my current favorite.

UNFORTUNATELY! Each new level resets your weapon. I made it to Level 3 on my last run and it is a major pain starting with the dang pea shooter there.

The bosses at the end of each level have been fairly easy. The level 1 boss does not fire much and you can pretty much sit in the middle firing at him moving a bit to avoid his shots. The level 2 boss moves around a lot more and goes up and down a little bit, it is also a heck of a lot stronger, took more than twice as long to defeat, but then again I have faced the level 1 boss twice with weapon [1] at stage 4. The level 2 boss I got with weapon [2] at stage 1.

That's my experience thus far, sorry for the long post but I thought it might help to know about the weapons/weapon stages. Oh and one more thing, if you have a stage 4 weapon and grab a different weapon in between (usually by accident) it starts over at stage 1 for that new weapon (crummy). Also, if you have a stage 4 weapon, and pick up the same number again, you do NOT get a stage 5, it just goes back to stage 1 of that weapon (ahhhh, why!?). There is also one other type of power-up that I have not figured out yet, it has a number 5 on it (I think) and I can not tell if it is temporary invincibility or temporary more power to your current weapon.

EDIT: Old Score - 33,850

post-21467-1244602446_thumb.png

Edited by xZanU

There is also one other type of power-up that I have not figured out yet, it has a number 5 on it (I think) and I can not tell if it is temporary invincibility or temporary more power to your current weapon.

That's not a 5 it's an S, which stands for shield. It gives you an invincibility shield for around 10 seconds. There's a nice write up here.

Mitch

There is also one other type of power-up that I have not figured out yet, it has a number 5 on it (I think) and I can not tell if it is temporary invincibility or temporary more power to your current weapon.

That's not a 5 it's an S, which stands for shield. It gives you an invincibility shield for around 10 seconds. There's a nice write up here.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch, that makes sense (S) for Shield : ) It was nice to see what the other level looked like too and to get a hint of what was in store.

post-21467-1244773613_thumb.png

Made it to Level 4, only had one life left and boy is it hard to blow anything up on that level, everything moves so fast! I managed to get My favorite weapon [1] powered up to stage 3 there, but after that I blew up : (

I found it makes a huge difference to get a weapon to its 4th stage and keep it there. I spend almost as much time dodging the [2] and [3] weapon powerups as I do shooting at things. The more stuff you get to blow up the more points you get! I think I hit nearly every single enemy on level 1 and 2 and probably almost as much on level 3. I was lucky to shoot down one out of five on level 4 though as they really do move that fast, very very hard.

Made it to level 4 with 4 lives and still couldn't beat it... very tough. I WILL beat level 4 before this round is over!

And just think, there are 6 Levels o.O

Well, I managed to beat level 4, but I still didn't crack 90,000 points. I made it to level 4 with all of my lives and spent most of my time dodging. I just couldn't get my weapon advanced enough to do any damage. By the time I got to level 5 I was on my last life and could only kill 2 enemies before dying.

post-17553-1244951712_thumb.png

post-17553-1244951679_thumb.png

I used weapon 1 all time except for level 4, I used the 2 firsts weapon 2 here. (I think the 3 way is best here).

I died at the beginning of level 5.

NIce! First one to break 100k : ) I've been trying but have not bested my score yet.