IGNORED

Younger 2600 fan on AtariAge?

Koopa64

I see this thread was started last year. Interesting bump.

Until someone starts a "The Oldest Gamer" thread, I'll post it here: Can anyone beat 47? :!: :o :skull: If I'm not the oldest here, I'll bet I'm in the top (bottom?) ten! :D

As an OG (Original Gamer; I always crack myself up when I use that term...), I was first exposed to the VCS in my late teens. I swear, if I were only a few years older I probably would have missed the whole video game thing altogether. Computers, too.

I don't have any of the latest systems, the latest system I owned was a Dreamcast. But I have one friend my age who has an Xbox and Xbox 360. My system ownership threaded through the Sega path - Master System, Genesis then Dreamcast.

I feel kinda sorry for people who don't understand gaming. I think they really missed something.

There are a few posters in this thread who I would have sworn were closer to my age. I guess some of them are just "old souls." :)

My best to all the young gamers here. Because of you, the classics will live forever!

-tet

4Ks, I didn't think anyone under the age of 18 liked Invader Zim. I'm always showing it to my classes at school and they pretty much universally hate it. But all my 30-something friends think its the best kids show ever made. Looks like its not just your taste in games that's a little unusual!

As a teacher, I'm impressed at how literate kids are about retro games. Whenever I mention Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Frogger or Pitfall! they usually know what I'm talking about, even at 5 or 6 years old. I still use Pac-Man to teach the greater than > less than < signs, and they still get it. Phones and consoles with downloadable old content have been great for introducing retro games to the new generation, without the attached stigma of "those crappy old games that smelly Uncle Bob plays..."

Being a sixteen-year-old with a liking for Atari consoles will get you laughed and pointed at because you "don't like realistic graphics".

I just finished reading a thread on how it was an eyesore.

Heck, I'm tempted to start a homebrewing club called the 2K6h next year as a senior.

Being a sixteen-year-old with a liking for Atari consoles will get you laughed and pointed at because you "don't like realistic graphics".

yep, I have been told COUNTLESS times "Get a 360 man!" or "you'r missing out"...

I just tell them to stop advertising for microsoft, and I dont want one.

Until someone starts a "The Oldest Gamer" thread, I'll post it here: Can anyone beat 47?

Ya old codger, I won't be 47 for seven more months! I bet you wear depends and drive slow wearing a tweed jacket and a hat with a feather.

P.S. Turn off your turn signal!

Until someone starts a "The Oldest Gamer" thread, I'll post it here: Can anyone beat 47? :!: :o :skull: If I'm not the oldest here, I'll bet I'm in the top (bottom?) ten! :D

As an OG (Original Gamer; I always crack myself up when I use that term...), I was first exposed to the VCS in my late teens. I swear, if I were only a few years older I probably would have missed the whole video game thing altogether. Computers, too.

I don't have any of the latest systems, the latest system I owned was a Dreamcast. But I have one friend my age who has an Xbox and Xbox 360. My system ownership threaded through the Sega path - Master System, Genesis then Dreamcast.

I feel kinda sorry for people who don't understand gaming. I think they really missed something.

There are a few posters in this thread who I would have sworn were closer to my age. I guess some of them are just "old souls." :)

My best to all the young gamers here. Because of you, the classics will live forever!

-tet

Well I am sure nobody will care , but in 77 when the VCS came out I was already old....25. I will be 57 later this year.

I'm 42 and thoroughly enjoy the likes of Surround, Missile Command, Dodge'Em, Miniature Golf, Demon Attack, etc.. You know all good 2600 games, way to numerous to list here.

I love the simplicity, and when you get senior moments and old'codger syndrome Atari 2600 games will probably be all you can handle!! Anything else more complex will just frustrate you and throw you for a loop!

Meantime when I'm not playing 2600 games I'll often play X-Plane flight sim, or Orbiter. Orbiter is oft-heralded as the most complex and difficult pc game to date. You can spend months perfecting your technique on all aspects from launch to landing, and still not be able to complete a mission. Then all of a sudden it all 'comes together' And once you think you got it mastered, you dream up another scenario.

This is one of the few games where a degree in spaceflight physics and a solid understanding of orbital mechanics is required.

Edited by Keatah

Hm, cool thread!

I am 28 and have technically been an Atari fan for the majority of my life.. My parents actually have pictures of me holding an Atari 2600 stick and wearing a Pac-Man shirt at the ripe age of one or two. I don't think they were aware at the time, but I was conditioned into being a long-term gamer. It was simply unavoidable. ;)

Needless to say, it's good to see the younger folks into the classic stuff as well. For a minute there, my increasingly-jaded conscience was getting the best of me--I was thinking to myself, "why are all of these kids here?".. Then I had to slap myself and remember that I was already collecting and doing the exact same thing at their age.

Welcome! :)

Edited by Austin

Well I am sure nobody will care , but in 77 when the VCS came out I was already old....25. I will be 57 later this year.

That is awesome, 57, anybody beat that? I am 40 and probably fairly close to the mean for this site, but I love to see the young ones participate in the golden years of gaming.

That is awesome, 57, anybody beat that? I am 40 and probably fairly close to the mean for this site, but I love to see the young ones participate in the golden years of gaming.

I agree. These young Fans will keep this going. I get a kick out of it when I hear they are still interested in Atari. Even if it starts out for some as a joke or a casual checking it out , there always seem to be new fans and new collectors. Look , there is no way around it. no matter if it's 10...20 50 years from now , you can not change the "when it came" date. That's why classic gaming will have many different reference points to different generations , but in the end the first ones will ALWAYS be the first ones.

Now pass me my Geritol and help me down from this Soap Box ! :roll: ;)

The Old Guy

yeah im 12 but no pedophiles better track me down and rape me now

Oooh, harsh.. Unfortunately, that is a valid concern in our world. My daughter is 13 and I have those fears all the time.

By the way I am 38 and am probably close to average/mean age myself.

Cool that you dig the classics!

Needless to say, it's good to see the younger folks into the classic stuff as well. For a minute there, my increasingly-jaded conscience was getting the best of me--I was thinking to myself, "why are all of these kids here?".. Then I had to slap myself and remember that I was already collecting and doing the exact same thing at their age.

At least they still made Atari games back when you were our age.

Now they have nearly-photorealism in video games instead of large pixels the size of hams. They aren't as tasty.

Now they have nearly-photorealism in video games instead of large pixels the size of hams. They aren't as tasty.

I'm still waiting for games that look so real that you might think all of the graphics and characters in the game were shot with a video camera. Not even close with the Xbox 360 and PS3, so I keep waiting.

Personally, I hate new games and systems. Every game on the xbox 360 is a first person shooter, the wii is a gimmick, the ps3 is a waste of money, etc.... the games just keep taking longer to produce and are getting worse and worse. I'm 15 as of last month and I just started collecting about a year ago, when I realized, quite frankly, 99% of new games suck. I wish I could have lived during the days of the first 1-4 console generations. Games from those systems have such culture and stories behind them. Look at Atari, a complete mess in early years. But its that that makes it so great. Everything now is done by the book, it's upsetting.

+1 rep point for the above, and I'd like to give you +one million for the quote in your sig (one of my all-time favorite movie lines).