IGNORED

Microsoft hurting the Xbox?

eric_ruck

Fact is, MS has made it possible for Everyone to enjoy computers in a way nobody else ever has.

This is utter shite... One of the bigger issues I have with MS is that they almost never build anything new -- they buy or steal from somebody else and use their monopoly position to leverage THEIR products over the true innovators. It is these innovators who made it possible for everyone to enjoy computers, not MS!

Fact is, MS has made it possible for Everyone to enjoy computers in a way nobody else ever has.

This is utter shite...  One of the bigger issues I have with MS is that they almost never build anything new -- they buy or steal from somebody else and use their monopoly position to leverage THEIR products over the true innovators.  It is these innovators who made it possible for everyone to enjoy computers, not MS!

Not to praise Microsoft or anything, I use Macs 95% of the time anyways, but I think the sentiment is that you need a mainstream company to get the masses into modern computing. There's some good OS's out there like BeOS and Mandrake/Red Hat Linux but what kinda mainstream computer user is going to learn these? It's not going to happen, so MS has had the best mix of market dominance and ease of use to get a modern OS on everyone's computer. Now how they did that is pretty smelly.

Why do any of you care who makes the console? The fact is the controllers suck and the games suck. There's no reason to buy one. I think it's funny that this has turned into a PC vs. MAC thread.

Here's the reality of modern computing:

1. No software will do everything the manufacturer says it will.

2. Both Mac and PC have their good and bad points. I use both in work as a graphic artist for a TV channel. I myself prefer PC and have had no major problems with MS products. Apple stuff has given me more problems and been more expensive but most of their stuff works pretty well too.

3. You should all stop whining and use the computer/OS that is most productive for you. Who care what somebody else uses? It doesn't effect you in any way.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Hahahahha....

Nice thread ;-)

First.... XBOX isn't bad, it's got some good hardware, but the games?

HALO is all anyone can rant, and most other games are on other consoles.... blah.

I was at Best Buy with a friend last week... XBOX gleemingly on Display saying "Play Me" ;-) (ok, so that was a voice in my head, but shh! ;-)

So anyways, I checked it out... their latest demo disc... Hmmmm....

The only thing that cought my attention (mind you, I'm not a sports person at all either) but NFL Blitz 2003 caught my eye... I was like "ahh, yes, I played this NFL Blitz 2001 on my DC last week, wonder how much of an improvment the XBOX has.."

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the controller (weird hmm)

Then I started playing... damnit, that controller is shit!!

Maybe I've been playing the Dreamcast too long but even the PS2 is easy to catch on.... where's the keyboard at? ;-)

The graphics were 'nice' but not exceptional.... ho humm...

2nd, I do hate MS.... Windows 98 has crashed or fatal errored on me about 400+ times in the last year... (lieterally) I work with computers 12 hours a night at work, then when I get home for my casual internet surfing (which doesn't turn out too smoothly) etc. thats why I moved to Mac's =)

Life is so ever less stressful now !! :)

anyways.... I don't trust MS.... and I don't trust the XBOX hardware in general. And at last, I got my Grand Theft Auto 3 (and vice city coming soon for my PS2) and even Getaway!

And who charges just to ENABLE DVD capabilities? wtf is with that?

Halo and JSF are the only games that are 'killer' must haves for the XBOX?

Shenmue may be alright, but no replacement for the DC... :(

I'm ashamed to say I feel the same way about Nintendo... I thought they were going to "grow some balls" this time :( I'm sorry, but Mario is driving a car with all those multicolored bars saying "Hey Baby, Dinner at me's house tonight sweety!" is not my idea of a game!

Mario SUNSHINE?

SUNSHINE??? lol..

ok... there's my $2.43 worth!

Clint Thompson

:P

You're looking too hard at the shell of the game, not the gameplay itself. 10 minutes of playing Mario Sunshine convinced me that Nintendo hasn't missed a step as far as gameplay is concerned. However, nothing on the Xbox has shown me that, despite the eye candy thrown into the games.

Most PeeCee users know no other OS (which is exactly what MS wants).

when i am at work and a custmer has a problem. we like to know what OS they have to narrow things down and get to he problem fast as possible

so i ask " what is your operating system?" (i said OS the first day i was there and gave that up right quick!)

they say " um i got a dell" or " i have a pentium 4" or " i have outlook 2000 " or "im stupid so i dont know know what you mean" (this is what someone actually said once)

so i woudl say " its sort of what runs yor computer it can be windows, macintosh, linux or DOS and there are others"

after about a month i just said "what kind of windows do you have" and i still have people that have no clue! :x

its true that microsoft has the bankroll needed to be competitive but the XBOX just has this "extreeeme" "this game kicks my own ass" tyoe of feeling with everyone i know (real or on boards) who has one. it seems as if when you buy an XBOX you get a free slipknot hat and pantera gets to come to your house and play it while you and your friends dye and braid your goatees and act all mad at the world, but hay XBOX RULEZZZZZZZZ!!! i hate X factor in anything at all. and that keeps me away from them.

Maybe so Sauron.... I haven't played Sunshine at all.... seen it, but Im not compelled to playing it. (and the thought of the new Zelda?) Just has a cartoon feel (just something) I don't care for.... then again, it could be fun as hell and like you say, I'm just seeing the shell of the game?

Doom III however.... now that IS a game I want to play!

Being that I hear the specs to require so much, I'm not quite sure how they expect it to run full-blown on the Xbox but I guess I'll see for myself when/if it comes out. This is where I wouldn't buy a $1,700 computer

to play but I would buy a $150 console to play!! (then again, there has to be more then just 1 game I want to play to warrant that purchase!)

Ah, and I have to find a nice 3rd party controller ;-)

Clint Thompson

From what I here Halo 2 sucks. Someone told me that the first Halo is better. I never was much of a Doom fan.

Yea, that is impossible to say that. And who ever told you is obviously an idiot. No one outside of Microsoft can play this game even in its very early state. From what I hear though this game is going to rock. All textures are going to have bump mapping and some excellent lighting effects. Bungie is also making many more vehicles to drive including flying aircraft in multiplayer.

As for what you say about DOOM: You must not have been into videogames for very long because when DOOM came out that changed everything. I have a lot of respect for DOOM and so should every avid gamer.

Interesting topic...

On a Microsoft note, I have to say that while I don't necessarly agree with all of Microsoft's methods of conducting business, they are an incredible company. Bill Gates has had the foresight to create something necessary for computers and to make a fortune off of that foresight. While many hate him for it, I respect his ability.

That having been said, a lot of stuff that I've had to deal with through Microsoft is crap. When you have a legal copy of Windows 98 on a store-bought computer and that computer's harddrive dies, you cannot get another copy to reinstall it without paying for it again. That is pretty crummy.

Now, onto topic...

I have had between little and no interest in the XBox because, quite frankly, it doesn't have any interesting software that I can't get on another system. I *almost* fell for one right away, as I am a big Dead of Alive fan, but DOA3 isn't much more impressive than DOA2 for the Dreamcast.

Since the initial release, I have only been interested by Jet Grind Radio Future. Since that game decided to remove the one part that made me love the original, I see absolutely no reason to even consider it's purchase.

I have Shenmue III on my Dreamcast already. I am not interested in the Halo series. I just have no interest in XBox software.

To be fair, I also have no interest in PS2 software. Nothing has yet made me think that I had to pick up a PS2.

As for the GameCube, Super Monkey Ball is where it is at. I haven't yet picked me up a GameCube and probably won't until either a Perfect Dark sequel comes out or something else overly innovative, but Nintendo currently has the software I'm interested in...

That, and import Dreamcast games :D Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000?

As for the GameCube, Super Monkey Ball is where it is at.  I haven't yet picked me up a GameCube and probably won't until either a Perfect Dark sequel comes out or something else overly innovative, but Nintendo currently has the software I'm interested in...

That, and import Dreamcast games  :D   Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000?

Ah,

but Microsoft just bought Rare and are taking Pefect Dark with them... But I've been importing DC games as well. I'd like to get Evil Twin, Space Channel 5 part 2, and Napple Tale

Cheers,

le geek

I'm getting a bit disillusioned with all of them (as well as this message board - AA used to be fun):-

Xbox is just carrying on the PC games thing - dull, but at least a console is a more reliable standard platform, if that's your thing.

Gamecube (the one I bought) showed promise early on, but they've chickened out and it's franchise business as usual.

PS2 - good grief, it's been out for EVER and there still isn't anything to make me buy one - they just need ONE game, I have the money, honest:)

While we're at it:-

M$ - I loathed Windows and from what I hear from friends about their XP troubles, it isn't getting any better

Apple - I used to love Apple, but this year they've really sucked. Their new OS STILL doesn't function properly and we're expected to shell out full price for the new update. Not only that but their new hardware is underpowered for the money (they were never cheap, I know, but you always felt you were getting your moneys worth)

Goatdan,

You said you have Shenmue III for the DC?!?

I haven't even beat Shenmue I yet (time consuming against my working hours) but it's fun!

You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of ShenmueIII would ya? ;-)

I'm still wanting Head Hunter and Rez! =)

Still missing quite a few DC games too, gonna have to check your site soon too Dan!

Clint Thompson

I have one simple reason for not planning to ever buy an Xbox:

I have to use Microsoft software on my PC all day long at work (Excel and Word). I find both software packages quite irritating to use (particularly their tendency to crash without warning), so the last thing I want to see when I play a console game to unwind after a hard day at work is a Microsoft logo coming out of the TV screen.

Cheers

Jon

but Microsoft just bought Rare and are taking Pefect Dark with them...  But I've been importing DC games as well.  I'd like to get Evil Twin, Space Channel 5 part 2, and Napple Tale

I have heard that. With MS already having Perfect Dark, perhaps my new DVD player will be a XBox simply because of that fact.

You said you have Shenmue III for the DC?!?  

I haven't even beat Shenmue I yet (time consuming against my working hours) but it's fun!  

You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of ShenmueIII would ya?  

I'm still wanting Head Hunter and Rez! =)  

Still missing quite a few DC games too, gonna have to check your site soon too Dan!

Whoops! Okay, so I got Shenmue II recently... d'oh!

I was able to pick up Headhunter in Europe (for less than $15.00 US dollars :D ) and I've got an extra import Shenmue...

Owning a system is all about games. A lot of people point out the PS2 has better games than xbox. It should, its been out a year longer. I have all the modern systems and I don't regret getting an xbox. Halo, Project Gotham Racing and GunValkyrie are my favorite games for it. A couple months after buying my xbox I got an internship with Microsoft. Being employed here allowed me to get in at the very beginning xbox Live beta. After testing games online I have to say the Microsoft online strategy is going to blow away the Gamecube and PS2. After signing up one time I use the same username for every xbox game. This makes it so fast getting into a online game. If a friend wants me to play Unreal and I'm in NFL Fever I can see his request and switch games if I want to. It just works very smooth.

I'm not saying MS is going to win the console war. Personally I like having all three systems out there because it drives costs down. I just think MS has some good ideas and enough cash to stay in this for quite a few years.