IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 14: Millipede

JellE

How do you keep bottom line clear? Only millipede parts create obstacles right?

No, the bugs that fly down the screen drop new mushrooms.

Also, every few screens there will be a wave of new mushrooms that spring up, to keep the playfield different (because in Centipede players could sculpt the playfield by blasting away at the mushrooms, and that made it easier to create alleys or whatever that the centipedes *had* to go down, so the designers tried to stop people from being able to do that).

The spiders will eat the mushrooms, so if you try to leave the spiders alone as much as possible, they'll help keep the bottom area cleared.

Also, the entire playfield of mushrooms scrolls up or down a bit as the game progresses. It scrolls down when you clear a wave of millipede pieces (I think), and it scrolls up when you blast the mosquitos. If you're good, you can push the mushrooms all the way up to the top of the screen, and possibly clear the screen, by blasting a large number of mosquitos during the mosquito swarms-- at least, I do that regularly on the 2600 version. But for some reason the 8-bit version seems a little less responsive about scrolling the mushrooms up when you kill a mosquito.

Michael

Yes, I have it on cart for the Atari 8-bits... the box has "XE" on it, I think (I'll check when I get home)

I was wrong, it doesn't have "XE" on the box-- I must have been thinking about Blue Max. Anyway, here's picture of the box on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/millipede-atari-800-xl...bayphotohosting

Michael

I just noticed i'm listed at 297,968 and not 327,428 on the overall leader board.

The 297,968 is from playing the 1983 proto version and the 327,428 is from playing the 1984 version.

We're playing the 1984 version right? Shouldn't my 327,428 score count?

I would think so. I've been busting ass trying to overtake your score, but I'm having trouble getting to the 300,000s again.

Michael

I just noticed i'm listed at 297,968 and not 327,428 on the overall leader board.

The 297,968 is from playing the 1983 proto version and the 327,428 is from playing the 1984 version.

You may have failed the drug test at that time.

AAARRRRGGHH Stupid Spiders, Stupid trying to kill stuff and having it land right on me head rather than just keeping away :x

Are the words "Centipede" and "Millipede" exaggerations or are there literally bugs with 100 legs and 1000 legs? It seems unlikely. And if you cut them up in 100/1000 pieces, do they all stay alive? I think some types of bugs when cut up do, but didn't think centipedes/millipedes did.

'84 version on a maxflash cart, trac-ball and a 65xe :cool:

@TRBB, I would love to take you on, but I only have until Friday as I will be afk for two weeks

Barely missed your score. If I had known your score before I started playing-- perhaps I would have been more careful at the end.

post-16716-1247448407_thumb.jpg

Sorry about that... you must forgive me, I am blonde and pregnant... I get confused easily! I will get if fixed shortly! :)

Edit: Well, it looks like you beat that original score anyway... so I will post the new score soon.

Edited by JellE

AAARRRRGGHH Stupid Spiders, Stupid trying to kill stuff and having it land right on me head rather than just keeping away :x

Are the words "Centipede" and "Millipede" exaggerations or are there literally bugs with 100 legs and 1000 legs? It seems unlikely. And if you cut them up in 100/1000 pieces, do they all stay alive? I think some types of bugs when cut up do, but didn't think centipedes/millipedes did.

There's only one way to find out :evil:

My question is if someone was to do (another) sequel what would it be called :?: (and don't say Millipede 2 :lol: )

My question is if someone was to do (another) sequel what would it be called :?: (and don't say Millipede 2 :lol: )

My suggestions are "Trillipede," "Quadrillipede," "Quintillipede," "Sextillipede" (ooh, sounds naughty!)-- or just jump right up to "Bajillipede" or "Gazillipede," or maybe even "Googolplexipede."

Michael

PS: Personally, I like "Gazillipede." But I would be tempted to call it "Godzillapede," because I sometimes like to say "Godzillion" instead of "gazillion"-- but I'm sure the The Lawyers Who Came From Toho would put a stop to that *real* quick.

Actually a step down from my previous high score, but it felt like a real achievement, because it's the first time since then that I've broken 300,000. I can get in the 200,000s every time, but breaking 300,000 seems to be all but impossible. :(

Michael

post-7456-1247549257_thumb.png

Actually a step down from my previous high score, but it felt like a real achievement, because it's the first time since then that I've broken 300,000. I can get in the 200,000s every time, but breaking 300,000 seems to be all but impossible. :(

Michael

Looks like the guy who played previously on your system got a higher score than you.