IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 14: Millipede

JellE

AAARRRRGGHH Stupid Spiders, Stupid trying to kill stuff and having it land right on me head rather than just keeping away :x

Are the words "Centipede" and "Millipede" exaggerations or are there literally bugs with 100 legs and 1000 legs? It seems unlikely. And if you cut them up in 100/1000 pieces, do they all stay alive? I think some types of bugs when cut up do, but didn't think centipedes/millipedes did.

There's only one way to find out :evil:

My question is if someone was to do (another) sequel what would it be called :?: (and don't say Millipede 2 :lol: )

Given the trend of going from less impediments to more impediments (Centipede -> Millipede), I wouldn't be surprised that they make so many impediments in the newer version that they are forced to call it IMPEDE.

Here's my score (first time playing on real cartridge):

224,638 (picture available on request).

I initially was trying to load ROM file into RAM and it wasn't loading properly so collision detection was off so much that bugs were destroying me before they reached me (telepathically).

Me too 248,690 :) (had three goes before that 215K, 224K ,215K) I need a some new tactics :ponder:

Mini table (apologies if it's wrang)

RR 338K

SGG 322K

DOD 258K

BB 248K

DK 236K

CW 233K

SH 217K

PB 214K

MP 166K

A8 158K

NLM 145K

DVA 138K

GCH 99K

SPK 94K

DrC 84K

BC 76K

TRP 74K

Awesome adrenaline pumpin fun :cool:

post-19705-1247603667.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

Bleah, I think I know why I can score so much higher on 2600 Millipede-- you can have seven spare lives showing, plus more that aren't displayed. I've run up my spare lives to more than seven (on the 2600), and when I get clobbered and lose a life, the spare lives indicators still show seven spare lives after I get my new life, plus it can stay at seven if I immediately get clobbered again (i.e., if I had earned nine or more spare lives in all). But the 8-bit version of Millipede shows only six spare lives, and if you earn more spare lives when you've already got six, you don't get credit for them-- if you lose a life, they go down from six to five, even if you'd actually earned seven or more spare lives. :x

Michael

Bleah, I think I know why I can score so much higher on 2600 Millipede-- you can have seven spare lives showing, plus more that aren't displayed. I've run up my spare lives to more than seven (on the 2600), and when I get clobbered and lose a life, the spare lives indicators still show seven spare lives after I get my new life, plus it can stay at seven if I immediately get clobbered again (i.e., if I had earned nine or more spare lives in all). But the 8-bit version of Millipede shows only six spare lives, and if you earn more spare lives when you've already got six, you don't get credit for them-- if you lose a life, they go down from six to five, even if you'd actually earned seven or more spare lives. :x

Michael

Yeah, it only builds up to 6 lives although the message at the bottom keeps misinforming you that "Bonus at blah.blah."

Me too 248,690 :) (had three goes before that 215K, 224K ,215K) I need a some new tactics :ponder:

Mini table (apologies if it's wrang)

RR 338K

SGG 322K

DOD 258K

BB 248K

DK 236K

CW 233K

SH 217K

PB 214K

MP 166K

A8 158K

NLM 145K

DVA 138K

GCH 99K

SPK 94K

DrC 84K

BC 76K

TRP 74K

Awesome adrenaline pumpin fun :cool:

You forgot to mention my score, but no problem as I just set a new high. By the way, there are apparently bugs with 100s of legs.

post-12094-1247675833_thumb.jpg

You forgot to mention my score, but no problem as I just set a new high. By the way, there are apparently bugs with 100s of legs.

oops ;) ... I've just managed a significant improvement but have a serious headache now :( my trakball is doing me proud 308,967

Looks like I may need trackball/real joystick on real atari to get more exact movements and better score. Arrow keys aren't that good.

How do you enable trackball real Atari?

post-16716-1247754810_thumb.jpg

Looks like I may need trackball/real joystick on real atari to get more exact movements and better score. Arrow keys aren't that good.

I'm not sure I understand whether you mean on a real Atari computer, or an emulator called "Real Atari," because your screenshot is from an emulator, but it sounds like you may be talking about switching over to playing on a real Atari computer-- except if that's the case, I don't understand what you mean about enabling a trakball controller on a real Atari? Anyway, you should be able to use a joystick or mouse or trakball with an emulator. Which emulator are you using? And what kind of joystick or trakball do you have?

Michael

It just plugs into the Atari's 9-pin joystick port. There was one on going on ebay (see one of my earlier posts) :)

I'm not sure I understand whether you mean on a real Atari computer, or an emulator called "Real Atari," because your screenshot is from an emulator, but it sounds like you may be talking about switching over to playing on a real Atari computer-- except if that's the case, I don't understand what you mean about enabling a trakball controller on a real Atari? Anyway, you should be able to use a joystick or mouse or trakball with an emulator. Which emulator are you using? And what kind of joystick or trakball do you have?

Michael

He might be inquiring about how to enable the true trakball mode versus the joystick setting on the Atari Trakball controllers. I'm not certain Millipede has that option. Doesn't Centipede allow that if you hold down a certain key when either starting or selecting a game?

Michael

He might be inquiring about how to enable the true trakball mode versus the joystick setting on the Atari Trakball controllers. I'm not certain Millipede has that option. Doesn't Centipede allow that if you hold down a certain key when either starting or selecting a game?

Wasn't BountyBob using Trackball?

Michael

That's a misleading name to call an emulator "Real Atari". There aren't even emulators that are functionally equivalent what to speak of being REAL in the physical sense.

Heh. The frustration is now over.

Not if you don't want it to be! :twisted: The pressure might be off for trying to top the highest score for the contest, but you can still keep playing. :) I think I still prefer the 2600 version, simply because I can score higher on it, but I now have respect for the 800 version (which I'd never played before this contest).

Michael

Awesome scores guys, I've had great fun playing this intense game... I'm blaming a headache for last two days preventing me going for the hat-trick ;)

Really looking forward to playing Whistler's Bother it must be nearly 20 years since I last played it... don't know why as it's a superb game...

Have fun :cool:

Edited by therealbountybob

Awesome scores guys, I've had great fun playing this intense game... I'm blaming a headache for last two days preventing me going for the hat-trick ;)

Really looking forward to playing Whistler's Bother it must be nearly 20 years since I last played it... don't know why as it's a superb game...

Have fun :cool:

I didn't get a head-ache, but I did see spiders and millipede parts running around for a while when I closed my eyes (after that latest game). Shooting the spiders seems more of a "luck" thing after 300,000 and I had to get a bunch of "1200"s to get to 345,000.