IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 15: Whistler's Brother

JellE

Contest ends Friday, July 31, 2009 at 11:30 pm EDT.

Whistler's Brother

Whistler's Brother was released in 1984 by Broderbund Software in the USA.

8-BIT HIGH SCORE CLUB SEASON 6
Contest 15: Whistler's Brother Ends: 11:30 PM EDT Friday 07/31/2009
Player Place Score Points
Atardi 1st 238,450 12
therealbountybob 2nd 182,250 11
MaPa 3rd 25,300 10
dodgers 4th 13,650 9
darthkur 5th 12,550 8
doctorclu 6th 11,400 7
Goochman 7th 9,350 6
SeaGtGruff 8th 8,050 5
mopchop 9th 7,450 4
roadrunner 10th 7,150 3
bluecat HM/P 6,950 1
poobah HM/P 4,950 1

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P
Edited by JellE

Just getting used to the game. I've tried it once before but wasn't sure on how to go about things. Reading the manual definitely helped a bit. :P

post-10357-1247929086_thumb.jpg

Very slight improvement. I can't seem to find anything that resembles a bridge in the jungle in round 3. :ponder:

post-10357-1247938072_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur

Someones keen after their first win of the season ;) not played yet but think (from 20 yrs ago mind) that it's sort of hidden in the scenery up on of the earlier (leftish) trees... will be playing tonight, just doing a bit of work on my abbuc entry game... business before pleasure :D

Hap: "Since when does he have a brother?"

Jack: "What the hell are you talking about McNulty?"

Ok.........what? :ponder:

A Google of +Hap +Jack +McNulty turns up hits about "Trancers." Jack Deth, Hap Ashby, Martin Whistler, and McNulty are characters in the films. Wow, it's been years since I've seen a "Trancers" movie! That might make a good weekend project-- watch a "Trancers" movie marathon.

Michael

Lovely, unique game... if you've not played it before it'll take a bit of patience to get used to it so don't leave it till a week on Friday :P

27,250 Ch.6 :)

Have Fun

p.s. Sorry Mr Kur my advice was very bad, it's one platform down to the left of where you are trying...

post-19705-1248034812_thumb.jpg

A Google of +Hap +Jack +McNulty turns up hits about "Trancers." Jack Deth, Hap Ashby, Martin Whistler, and McNulty are characters in the films. Wow, it's been years since I've seen a "Trancers" movie! That might make a good weekend project-- watch a "Trancers" movie marathon.

Michael

Interesting. It's strange that I am unfamiliar with those movies being that I made it a point to see any and every sci-fi flick back then. Especially ones having to do with time travel. I'm going to have to acquire those.

It doesn't explain the relevance of the post though. :ponder:

Michael

Interesting. It's strange that I am unfamiliar with those movies being that I made it a point to see any and every sci-fi flick back then. Especially ones having to do with time travel. I'm going to have to acquire those.

Atari 8-bit film club? I'm game :cool: that gives me an idea... off to post on summer bonus tourney thread....

The post was just a joke. And since you'd have to be familiar with "Trancers" to catch the references, you could say it was an inside joke. :)

"What do you mean, 'Whistler's brother'? Since when did Whistler have a brother?" That sort of thing.

Michael

Not my highest score, but I didn't save any screenshots of my higher scores, so this will have to be it. :)

I must say, I'm finding this to be a rather frustrating game. It looks great, and is a great idea, but the stupid doctor is so freaking annoying; it's almost impossible to get him to follow you correctly. For example, if you whistle at him to follow you in a certain direction, he'll backtrack and take the wrong ladder or level, so you have to go back and try to get him straightened out.

Michael

PS -- How do you add your score to the high score roster?

post-7456-1248062862_thumb.png

Edited by SeaGtGruff

I must say, I'm finding this to be a rather frustrating game. It looks great, and is a great idea, but the stupid doctor is so freaking annoying; it's almost impossible to get him to follow you correctly. For example, if you whistle at him to follow you in a certain direction, he'll backtrack and take the wrong ladder or level, so you have to go back and try to get him straightened out.

Michael

Ok folks: here's the key to the game - work out where the tools are and go get them ASAP. Whistle matey boy and at the same time move in the direction you wish him to go; best done when he is level with the place where you wish him to go.... simple innit :?: :!: Use the diagonals to move/climb faster. (The game only saves the top three scores ever... I've got a long way to go to get on my scoreboard ;) )

Still don't understand well how the whistling and his moving works. Simply he is doing what he wants. For example I'm standing on the ladder, the arrow points up, I whistle but the idiot :) just runs left and right in small area and don't even get to the ladder to climb up to me.

post-3960-1248092984_thumb.png

Edited by MaPa

Extremely low-budget zombie-type series. The interesting thing about it is that "B"-movie straight guy Thomerson is not only joined by some notable names early in their careers...but also that said actors stuck with the series' sequels even after making their own mark in Hollywood. Nobody from the series is present in Trancers 6, tho (and are unlikely to return at all...due to disputes with producer/series creator Charles Band).

The original still has one of the greatest tag lines:

"Jack Deth is back...and he's never been here before."

Returning to the regularly-scheduled thread...

Still don't understand well how the whistling and his moving works. Simply he is doing what he wants. For example I'm standing on the ladder, the arrow points up, I whistle but the idiot :) just runs left and right in small area and don't even get to the ladder to climb up to me.

That's Dr.Idiot to you MaPa ;)

Ok you asked for it; here's Bounty Bob's Whistling Guide Part II: It's all about.... .... timing :) whistle exactly when he the Dr is in line with the place you wish him to climb, descend or go across. If the Dr is not going as far as you want him to then whistle whilst moving in the direction you want him to move in. I generally always move and whistle. You can sort of remote control him in this way without being near him. To rack up points collect both the tools, collect an artifact then park the Dr somewhere safe, hmmm better park him safe first come to think of it... then unleash some high-speed whirlwind kick ass on the arrow/bunny/mummy etc (diagonal after moving left or right with the button held in or, if you're wanting to play it cool, just hold up once a whirlin' to stand still and let them commit suicide on you, if it eases your concience a bit who am I to judge) then collect the next item and repeat and repeat, ka-ching :) Think there's extra men every 10K as I heard a little noise somewhere. Be careful with not scrolling him off and when getting on ladders. Try and not scroll him until he looks like he knows what he is doing! All clear now? good :D

p.s. Got to Chapter 8. Am claiming 40K but it was definitely more but I pressed start when messing about for the photo op and cleared the screen DOH!

p.p.s. Being pregnant doesn't mean you are excused from playing (that goes for all of you)

Edited by therealbountybob

When I get time to add them, I put them on the table. All you have to do is play! :)

Actually, I meant the high score roster in the game! :) Darthkur's screenshots show his three highest scores, but the disk image from Atarimania alraedy has somebody else's high scores on it. Too bad there isn't a way to clear them on the disk image???

Michael

When I get time to add them, I put them on th :?: e table. All you have to do is play! :)

Actually, I meant the high score roster in the game! :) Darthkur's screenshots show his three highest scores, but the disk image from Atarimania alraedy has somebody else's high scores on it. Too bad there isn't a way to clear them on the disk image???

Michael

You could let me have three goes on it :D Seriously this is a good question and applies to many copies/images it would be nice if there were original uplayed versions on Atarimania but I guess they're few n far between. I wonder if some code guru could produce a little utility to restore various game score boards as it's nice to see your name in lights :)

p.s. I guess it was the liver, marshmallow and pineapple sandwiches that gave it away ;)

p.p.s. Being pregnant doesn't mean you are excused from playing (that goes for all of you)

Well... you see... I have been playing the games, but I forget to post my results. So, you see, I have to follow the rules too! :)

Anyone knows why I get the garbagge on level 3 or is it normal? Playing in Atari800Win PLus 4.0 emulator.

Definitely not normal! I think there is both an ATX and an ATR file on atarimania maybe the ATR file without the copy protection is the one you're playing and they screwed up when removing the protection (so try the ATX version) :?:

55,450 Ch.9

Very satisfying when you get on a roll ;)

post-19705-1248195560_thumb.jpg