IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 15: Whistler's Brother

JellE

Anyone knows why I get the garbagge on level 3 or is it normal? Playing in Atari800Win PLus 4.0 emulator.

Definitely not normal! I think there is both an ATX and an ATR file on atarimania maybe the ATR file without the copy protection is the one you're playing and they screwed up when removing the protection (so try the ATX version) :?:

55,450 Ch.9

Very satisfying when you get on a roll ;)

Downloaded patched emulator + vapi.dll and the .ATX works without that garbage on the top... but the rest of level looks the same and I thought it's corrupted too :) Not much transparent...

EDIT: hmm just tried to screenshot my new highscore, but the patched emulator saves only .pcx and not correctly so it's not displayable in anything I tried. Btw. here is the map for Whistler's Brothers.

Edited by MaPa

80,200 Ch.13 Don't engrave your name on that trophy just yet Atardi ;)

Try win if you can . #urn's power#

Ah yes, that takes me back to the days of the Undertaker and Paul Bearer? vs Yokozuma and Mr Fuji. After many years absence these days I'm into TNA with my wrestling buddy Mopchop :D

88,100 I made it onto my scoreboard so the old magic is returning, think I'm on course to beat Ch.13 next go as I made a couple of major boo-boos under pressure :roll: Not sure how you've managed 20K+ more than me on the same Chapter as I thought I killed just about everything I could, but maybe I missed a few bits. Will probably splat a few more men trying to get to bits that I normally leave :) Top game :cool:

post-19705-1248626119.jpg

EDIT: hmm just tried to screenshot my new highscore, but the patched emulator saves only .pcx and not correctly so it's not displayable in anything I tried. Btw. here is the map for Whistler's Brothers.

Thank you!

My score so far (had the 3rd level garbled version) 11,400.

Edited by doctorclu

I've found an ATR version without the corrupt scenery at the top of level 3 and with the standard 5 lives on atari.pl. It's the one labelled (v1) and has "spy, spy and baddie" on the score board; link here: Whistler's Brother. The corrupt version on Atarimania (and v2 on atari.pl) has "Rich T, Craig, Rich T" on the scoreboard, although it still plays ok (up to level 3 at least!), probably got crumbs in the disk when it was imaged :lol:

Edited by therealbountybob

80,200 Ch.13 Don't engrave your name on that trophy just yet Atardi ;)

Try win if you can . #urn's power#

Well I've had 2-3 goes each day and despite whipping through the early chapters kept blowing it on levels 8 and 9... but just finished and... ;)

Nice game, really well programmed, great graphics and sound, lots of nice touches, random stuff to keep you on your toes, neat tricks like hidden bits of scenery and platforms disguised by colour, purple arrows that aren't easily seen etc. A lot of effort must have gone into creating this game. Was trying to get to Lv.3 but just too tired to make it. It didn't seem to be any harder on Lv.2 apart from arrows etc on Ch.1. Had a strange death or three here and there, once on a ladder when I just went half way up on Ch.11 :x , another time it played a plinkety plonk tune as I died and just locked up despite me having 6 men left!

Here's a(nother) (not very interesting anecdote) :roll: Years ago I read an article in Page 6 Magazine called "Zapping the Right Byte" which told you how you could change the number of lives in games by searching using a sector editor for an early occurrence of A9 05 (I think) (poss A9 = LDA and 05, 04 or 03 = the number of lives). I was doing this to various games; Firefleet despite me adding 99 lives I could not beat sector 3 - think it has an impossible block in the way, pinhead but this spoiled it as later managed to beat it on default lives... etc... anyway I thought I'd have a go at Whistler's Brother, which was my only copy as it was a copy protected disk, so I changed a byte, rebooted, and... the screen went black with large purple writing saying "ZAPPO" this really freaked me out and unfotunately killed the disk!

It would be nice to see a platformer developed along the lines of Bounty Bob or DK, where the characters have some feel/gravity, you know what I mean, with a scrolling playfield similar to Whistler's Brother :idea:

You can press Control and 3 to get one of the flashing tools into your name, if you make it onto the scoreboard (can't find the other tool!).

Anyway time for my medication :o , not playing Atari until Sunday now :!:

p.s. RI.P. Undertaker :D Unless :?: :!:

post-19705-1248991699_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob