IGNORED

WTB/T: Flat small computer desktop case

nathanallan

Wanted, case that is a bit taller than a CD-rom drive, maybe double the width of one, can be as deep as necessary, not concerned about the front-back length. Just looking for case, not a complete computer. A while back they were selling these dirt cheap because they take proprietary everything and no standard computer stuff fit in them.

NOT mini ITX, just weird form factor. If anyone has one of these I'll see what you would like to trade or buy it from you. Computer inside NOT needed, just the case. Please, no broken plastic or bent up frames.

Nathan

Wanted, case that is a bit taller than a CD-rom drive, maybe double the width of one, can be as deep as necessary, not concerned about the front-back length. Just looking for case, not a complete computer. A while back they were selling these dirt cheap because they take proprietary everything and no standard computer stuff fit in them.

NOT mini ITX, just weird form factor. If anyone has one of these I'll see what you would like to trade or buy it from you. Computer inside NOT needed, just the case. Please, no broken plastic or bent up frames.

Nathan

I have an OLD external SCSI hard drive with a case about that size. Has a power supply and hard drive inside.

Is what you're looking for an actual dedicated computer case?

Edited by BigO

Perhaps. Can you take a pic of it or show me one like it online somewhere? Do you think a smallish motherboard would fit inside it? A pic of a similar one would answer my questions.

I'll see if I can dig it out tonight and take pics/measurements.

I suspect it might be too small.

Edited by BigO

It would take a pretty small MB to fit in here with the P/S in place:

post-12370-1248372559_thumb.jpgpost-12370-1248372571_thumb.jpg

Overall the outside case is 9-5/8" wide x 10-7/8 deep x 2" high.

The opening inside could accommodate something about 6-1/2" x 9" with the hard drive (and nothing else) removed. I'll throw in the 340 MB Conner SCSI HD at no extra charge. :D

post-12370-1248372583_thumb.jpg

It would work, but I'm also looking for one drive bay for a CDROM on the front. This would have to be cut out :(

Nice pics, though! Are you really looking to get that gone? Hmm. Times like this make me wish I had an adapter for the ST! That would be perfect (SCSI-ASCII).

It would work, but I'm also looking for one drive bay for a CDROM on the front. This would have to be cut out :(

Nice pics, though! Are you really looking to get that gone? Hmm. Times like this make me wish I had an adapter for the ST! That would be perfect (SCSI-ASCII).

How small is your motherboard? By the time you put a CD ROM in there, tain't gonna be much room for a MB. Are you going to use an external power supply?

Yes, that's one of many bits of miscellaneous stuff that I could part with. Do you think there would be general interest in this from the ST crowd? I don't know much about what ST's are capable of.

If you're interested, it weighs 6.5 lbs without any packing material, from 85051.

BTW - I see that I still have something else here that I was going to try to ship to you a long time ago and never got back around to it. Still want that Atari monitor? I never have found anything suitable for shipping it in so would still have to take it to UPS Pack & Ship and pay their rate.

Edited by BigO

The board measures 9 3/4wide, 9 front to back and 2 1/2 tall but needs a bit of room for airflow. Not gonna use an external power supply, I have some oddly shaped ones that will work. Just needs fans. All I'm gonna be using is one CD and maybe a small harddrive just for storage.

I'll take the rest over to PM.

Damn I had a perfect one that you could've used. Was small and used a proprietary mobo style(got it for a use similar to what I'm guessing yours is, was going to put a modern mobo in it and use it for a media center pc or something like that) Had a 5.25" drive bay too.

Sadly I threw it out as I never got around to doing my project. At least I can give you a thread bump, though, if i can't give you what you're looking for. :|

BTW - have you checked thrift stores? these were very common circa 386/486 days, so you might find one cheap. The one I was going to use cost me $2 at the "Village Discount Outlet" years ago...

I've been looking around but the thrifts have been pretty dry lately. When there is a computer in it's a large tower or just not what I need. I have plenty of towers now.

Yeah, that case would have been great, but I'll find one. The one I thought I had on the line hasn't called me back yet, so I'm still looking.

Found one! This is the one I have for now, not to say that I won't look for another in the future. I'll definitely be looking for one in the future to do this all over again. Used for $10 locally, not bad!

If you have one or know where one is, this project is working out, so I'll be looking for another very soon!

post-7404-1248566319_thumb.jpg

post-7404-1248566339_thumb.jpg

Found one! This is the one I have for now, not to say that I won't look for another in the future. I'll definitely be looking for one in the future to do this all over again. Used for $10 locally, not bad!

If you have one or know where one is, this project is working out, so I'll be looking for another very soon!

When you said "a bit taller than a CD ROM drive" this is not what I imagined. That looks almost twice the height of a CD-ROM drive, at least it does in the picture.

Glad you found one. I think I threw out the 286 case I had that was about that same size.

Edited by BigO

That one is a little bit larger than this one, but the layout is very similar on the inside. A friend of mine has a new eMachines computer that would have been slick, but it's... new.

I had to make my own connections for the mainboard, this one came with a header that definitely did not match up. Hooray tape!

Update. Computer is working, emulators are due to be installed and the splash screens for Windows updated. Got absolutely slammed with work today, might have to wait till tomorrow night. Slammed is good, just gotta grind through it to get to the fun stuff.

Edited by nathanallan