IGNORED

Being banned for swearing on Halo Live

Poopopyo

Don't be excessively profane and you won't have a problem.

People choose the language they use and in many cases there are consequences for language or actions. It was your "friends" own stupid fault for not handling themselves better because I am sure they were old enough to know better. I am also sure there are rules and guidelines somewhere for online interaction on Live and I would be willing to bet that they broke them. It usually has to do with maturity, growing up, and self control.

The game's rating itself doesn't directly correlate to what people playing do since the rating only refers to the game itself. It's a way that the company can in some ways protect itself from idiotic lawsuits from people who were offended by the contact and a way for parents to judge whether or not the game is appropriate for their child. Also, it's the law.

People have been put on mod preview or warned for being excessive about it even here. I know I've used words here and there but usually for a good reason. I've found people take those who use that type of language less seriously if they listen at all.

Sorry I don't have much sympathy for stuff like that.

Indeed and even he was asked to tone it down a time or two, lol. Shawn Sr. also would be willing to help a friend through a difficult situation if needed and really is a good guy imo.

Although, my dad was in the Navy, I cuss more then he does, lol. :ponder:

I've found people take those who use that type of language less seriously if they listen at all.

Sorry I don't have much sympathy for stuff like that.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Shawn Sr. cusses like a sailer, and I almost never cuss. ;)

When it comes to forums, seems like asterisks would make things better for the precious Nancy boys and snooty pants of the world, but you can make innocent words look like bad ones too:

A f**k in the road.

Go ahead, take a sh*t.

Not one red c*nt.

Don't be excessively profane and you won't have a problem.

Exactly. Peppering your dialog with curse words while playing Halo won't get you in trouble.

My guess is his curses were aimed directly at other players, and since you can only be involved with the dialog from your team (Except for a few seconds at the end) you can assume he was probably being an ass, cussing to his "team-mates"

I suspect if you ever find out the facts of entire situation Poopopyo it'll be more clear why your friend was banned.

Was it removed from the dictionary? They still have it listed on Websters.

Don't think so? I just haven't heard it used much since I was in 3rd grade or so.

:?

Wow that's bizarre. Groovy, daddy-o, hepcat, grody, all those I could understand, but the word cuss?

That's like saying "Gee I can't believe people still use the word... yell.

Edited by moycon

Was it removed from the dictionary? They still have it listed on Websters.

Don't think so? I just haven't heard it used much since I was in 3rd grade or so.

:?

Wow that's bizarre. Groovy, daddy-o, hepcat, grody, all those I could understand, but the word cuss?

That's like saying "Gee I can't believe people still use the word... yell.

Must be a regional thing? I wouldn't compare it to yell though, isn't cuss just a slang word for curse?

Must be a regional thing? I wouldn't compare it to yell though, isn't cuss just a slang word for curse?

LOL Maybe, I dunno, but I rarely hear people use the word curse, unless it's in reference to voodoo or mummies.

Must be a regional thing. I've been in Acworth too long.

Does it matter what you call it? Just do it! A nice juicy F word is a wonderful thing. It puts hair on your chest, scares away old people, and makes religious nuts cry like the pathetic weakling they are. They're just words. Id rather have someone say "Go f*ck yourself with a rusty pipe!" than something like "I'm going to your house to rape your wife and children, peel off your skin and eat it in front of you, then set your house on fire and spank one out as I stand on your front lawn and listen to the horrific screams coming from inside as you and your family slowly burn to death."

I still can't believe people actually use the word "cuss". :ponder:

Likewise. Cuss is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 2000.

Well actually:

Cuss Origin: 1815

By the early nineteenth century, we knew how to cuss. In an 1815 book called A Yankee in England, we find a definition: "Cuss, curse."

But ok 2000 it is. Maybe that's when folks stopped using it. I don't keep up with that stuff. I think it safe to say your friend got banned for more than just using a swear word. He probably attacked and berated his team mates with swear words and after multiple complaints was banned. If you wish to avoid being banned, don't do that and you'll be fine. Although based on my personal previous Halo sessions, this is something that is VERY hard for many 14 year old boys to NOT do, so good luck to you.

Wow, I didn't know you COULD be banned for cussing...Somehow, I doubt it, more than likely, he was directing itat people, or slinging threats, or whatever...

Does it matter what you call it? Just do it! A nice juicy F word is a wonderful thing. It puts hair on your chest, scares away old people, and makes religious nuts cry like the pathetic weakling they are. They're just words. Id rather have someone say "Go f*ck yourself with a rusty pipe!" than something like "I'm going to your house to rape your wife and children, peel off your skin and eat it in front of you, then set your house on fire and spank one out as I stand on your front lawn and listen to the horrific screams coming from inside as you and your family slowly burn to death."

:lol: LOL :lol: LOL :lol: OMFG! That's the funniest damn thing I've read all day.....should it scare me that that sounds exactly like something I did...I mean, would do?

"Cuss", "Curse", "Swear", whatever, it's just a regional thing, like saying "Pop", "Soda", "Coke" is. I see the words rotate, even in one area pretty often :P Or even change meaning, like Gay pre 85 was a good thing, and was turned into a bad thing post 85 area. (or maybe earlier, or later, depending on where you live, that seems to be the tipping point for my area though)

Anyhow, just use a little bit of brains, the fact is, while you (or in this case, your "friend") may think it's cool to just start stringing words together, in all honesty, it's not, few people will take it serious, most got you on mute anyways, and the few that do listen, probably think your pretty ignorant anyways. I personally have nothing against cussing, and do it myself, it's a natural part of language (in more ways than one :lol: :P ) but use them right, and you shouldn't have a problem (except the few religious "crazy's" out there, I say crazy cause I've not yet had anyone actually point me to any place in a religious book or law that says "thought shalt not cusseth"....yeah, I went there)

Well actually:

Cuss Origin: 1815

By the early nineteenth century, we knew how to cuss. In an 1815 book called A Yankee in England, we find a definition: "Cuss, curse."

But ok 2000 it is. Maybe that's when folks stopped using it. I don't keep up with that stuff. I think it safe to say your friend got banned for more than just using a swear word. He probably attacked and berated his team mates with swear words and after multiple complaints was banned. If you wish to avoid being banned, don't do that and you'll be fine. Although based on my personal previous Halo sessions, this is something that is VERY hard for many 14 year old boys to NOT do, so good luck to you.

LOL!

I just always saw "cuss" as like a lowest common denominator southern drawl Smokey and the Bandit type word. I didn't even know it was used into the 80's, much less into the 00's :P I don't keep up with either per se, just haven't heard it used in forever.