IGNORED

Being banned for swearing on Halo Live

Poopopyo

I didn't even know it was used into the 80's, much less into the 00's :P I don't keep up with either per se, just haven't heard it used in forever.

While we're on this subject, who still uses per se? I read a book about writing back in the 1980s that said per se should be avoided. People who use per se, are often the same people who pronounce the T in often. Usually a lame attempt to sound educated and high class, but it has the opposite effect. :D

I didn't even know it was used into the 80's, much less into the 00's :P I don't keep up with either per se, just haven't heard it used in forever.

While we're on this subject, who still uses per se? I read a book about writing back in the 1980s that said per se should be avoided. People who use per se, are often the same people who pronounce the T in often. Usually a lame attempt to sound educated and high class, but it has the opposite effect. :D

Ahhh...touche!

Oh...wait...I did it again didn't I :P

as like a lowest common denominator southern drawl Smokey and the Bandit type word.

Yep, that's Acworth, GA, lowest common denominator because it's not where you live or a word you use.

In spite of the fact a simple internet search on the actual word "cuss" returns over 6.5 million hits, because you don't use it, you can't believe anyone does and it's backward ass.

Got it. :cool:

Edited by moycon

as like a lowest common denominator southern drawl Smokey and the Bandit type word.

Yep, that's Acworth, GA, lowest common denominator because it's not where you live or a word you use.

In spite of the fact a simple internet search on the actual word "cuss" returns over 6.5 million hits, because you don't use it, you can't believe anyone does and it's backward ass.

Yep. :cool:

Although, google gives cuss 2.7 mil, not sure what search engine you used.

I checked swear and curse...it's not even close, so I checked with "word" since swear and curse have other meanings.

"swear word" - 604,000

"curse word" - 201,000

"cuss word" - 93,000

But the main thing is you recognize I'm right. Thanks!

PS...

Groovy - 2.49 million

Daddy-O 17.3 million

hepcat - 851,000

grody - 804,000

But I didn't need the internet to tell me cuss isn't used much anymore. Neither did you. My saying so should have been enough. ;)

My work here is done.

PPS..."backward ass" was the only search with less hits than cuss word, though ironically in the same ballpark at 92,800

Funny how THAT one worked out, eh? :P

Edited by jetset

I wonder what XBox Live group your banned friend was in. If he was in a casual or family group I can see this happening but I don't think they ban people for language if they are in the "Underground" group.

Bans happen when too many folks take time to file complaints. So in the case at the beginning of the thread, too many people didn't like the style of swearing.

The groups can all have bans (Underground, Pro, family, etc)

But I didn't need the internet to tell me cuss isn't used much anymore.

6.5+ million sites is enough for me to keep using it. (Yeah I didn't use Google) Thanks.

You're initial statement wasn't that you were surprised cuss was used more than any other word, and no one said it was.

Your initial statement said you were surprised it was used by people at all anymore and it certainly is.

Go tell the 6.5+ million people that made those sites that you think they are backward ass friend. I'd love to see that!! :lol:

Edited by moycon

I wonder what XBox Live group your banned friend was in. If he was in a casual or family group I can see this happening but I don't think they ban people for language if they are in the "Underground" group.

Bans happen when too many folks take time to file complaints. So in the case at the beginning of the thread, too many people didn't like the style of swearing.

The groups can all have bans (Underground, Pro, family, etc)

Yes but I think that different zones have different levels of leniency. The Underground zone is specifically meant as an area that is lax on rules. The Live definition of the zones:

Recreation zone, where casual gamers thrive

Family zone, where parents and younger gamers alike can enjoy family-friendly gaming

Pro zone, a place for hardcore gamers who don't want to deal with lame griefers

Underground zone, where anything goes

Yes but I think that different zones have different levels of leniency. The Underground zone is specifically meant as an area that is lax on rules. The Live definition of the zones:

I never read it anywhere, but maybe it takes more written complaints if you're in the Underground zone as opposed to say the Casual zone.

To be honest I never paid attention, do they only match up Underground player with other Underground player in a game like Halo? And if not, what if a member in the Casual Zone got teamed with one in the Underground?

Yep. :cool:

Although, google gives cuss 2.7 mil, not sure what search engine you used.

I checked swear and curse...it's not even close, so I checked with "word" since swear and curse have other meanings.

"swear word" - 604,000

"curse word" - 201,000

"cuss word" - 93,000

But the main thing is you recognize I'm right. Thanks!

PS...

Groovy - 2.49 million

Daddy-O 17.3 million

hepcat - 851,000

grody - 804,000

But I didn't need the internet to tell me cuss isn't used much anymore. Neither did you. My saying so should have been enough. ;)

My work here is done.

PPS..."backward ass" was the only search with less hits than cuss word, though ironically in the same ballpark at 92,800

Funny how THAT one worked out, eh? :P

I don't use the word "cuss" myself but I can see why one would

Swear has more meanings. You swear an oath,on the bible etc etc.

Curse also has other meanings even if less used.

Cuss as far as I am aware is only really used for profanity even if it is slang people know exactly what you are referring to.

Try looking up "ass backwards" (this is the way I hear the term used, though you'll probably get redirected to a youtube video of an ahmish dude trying to parallel park his cart :lol: :P sorry)

Another reason not to play online. I 'cuss' like there is a wasp nest in my underwear.

That's why we should play together more often. The more beer I drink, the more cussin I do.

:lol: LOL :lol: Ohmygod, I'm going to die laughing!

Yep, looked it up (ass backwards) and come up with 774,000 words.

Edited by Video

The game's rating itself doesn't directly correlate to what people playing do since the rating only refers to the game itself. It's a way that the company can in some ways protect itself from idiotic lawsuits from people who were offended by the contact and a way for parents to judge whether or not the game is appropriate for their child. Also, it's the law.

I can relate to that.

The first day I got GTA 4 and jumped into a Free Roam game, there's a bunch of players all getting personal on this one guy hurling the n-word nonstop. If it weren't for the fact it's next to impossible to know who's saying what, I would've reported them all.

The game's rating itself doesn't directly correlate to what people playing do since the rating only refers to the game itself. It's a way that the company can in some ways protect itself from idiotic lawsuits from people who were offended by the contact and a way for parents to judge whether or not the game is appropriate for their child. Also, it's the law.

I can relate to that.

The first day I got GTA 4 and jumped into a Free Roam game, there's a bunch of players all getting personal on this one guy hurling the n-word nonstop. If it weren't for the fact it's next to impossible to know who's saying what, I would've reported them all.

Really! most of the times I've been on the N word was so freely used by all the players usually the opposite happened. However, any 12 year old kid who joined in on the game got quickly ganged up on. Yeah, great parenting there. I remember finishing races & relaying the location of said "kid" to all the other players to ruin their game, inspiring them to leave.

it had to be excessive or he simply won the unlucky lottery and had an xbl mod in his game.

for example, we can swear on this site and theres no problem. however if my whole post was f this, f that, f f f, id be removed.

tell your friend not to express himself like a knuckledragger and to use real, big boy words. excessive swearing is tacky, uncouth and lowbrow.

excessive swearing is tacky, uncouth and lowbrow.

So is refusing to capitalize words at the beginning of sentences. :D

I am getting a psychic vision . . . this will be xg4bx's reply:

"F*ck you, a**hole. Go eat a sh*t sandwich, vomit into a bag, then shove the bag up your mother's c*nt."

:evil:

• 4 weeks later...
I am getting a psychic vision . . . this will be xg4bx's reply:

"f*ck you, a**hole. go eat a sh*t sandwich, vomit into a bag, then shove the bag up your mother's c*nt."

There, I fixed that for you.

This is going to be my reply to the next 14 year old punk that sends me a message on live telling me how bad I suck at Halo, LOL!

By the way, do we still use "lol", or is that out of date, too?