IGNORED

Is anyone insuring their collection?

atari art

This is one of the things that we're trying to promote along the way. As it stands, pretty much any insurance company would classify your collection as "obsolete electronic equipment." This basically makes a room full of games "worth" about 50 bucks.

So, let me know which insurance company you're trying to go through, and we'll put them on our list when we begin the drive to allow video game collections to be insured. We will send them a set of the guides, along with our presentation on the matter, and of course anything else that we might consider helpful to the good fight.

Though this is something that we probably won't see anything in the near future, we are actively pushing for insurance on video game collections. They deserve just as much respect as comics and baseball cards do, so why not insurance as well? :)

God knows on my collection... TOO much...

//thankful he lives somewhere which doesn't have earthquakes, tidal waves, tornados, hurricanes, floods, forest fires or any other natural disaster that just loves to destroy games collections...

I'd be covered fiscally, but not emotionally. :(

Hear hear. I tried getting insurance but the company insisted on an appraisal. When I asked them where I could find someone to do an appraisal, they suggested the yellow pages. No luck.

I also think this qualifies as home electronic equipment. So long as you own it and can prove the value you can get reimbursed. I think cataloging your collection and putting the catalog in a safe place is a good idea.

Also keep in mind that most insurance companies limit what they pay out for all electronics, including your TV, DVD, stereo, and the basement full of video game, um, treasures. So you will probably need a policy "rider". And this is what my company, at least, wanted the appraisal for.

Anyone know of any other insurance companies who will insure classic video game systems? Or where I can get an appraisal in Maryland?

Eric

I remember seeing on the antiques roadshow a couple months back a segment with a gentlleman who was showing off some of his Atari collection. He was one of the apraisers for the Roadshow as well. I would try to contact him. I can't remember his name but don't they have a website? Maybe he would know someone who does 'collectable appraisals'. He seemed to know what he was talking about for the most part. I remember seeing a quadrun, tooth protectors and other high dollar items on the segment. Hope this gives some more support for this whole appraisal thing. I am 100% behind this. In order to replace everything in my collection (doubt this is even possible) it would certainly cost more than a few thousand dollars.

kudos,

MattG.

If you want an appraisal, I would use one of the price guides. Digital Press may be a little low. You may want to try Jerry Greiner's Guide. I think Schiffman Publications also has a price guide, but I"m unsure of how accurate they are. You can just list the games and list the prices in the guide. That should satisfy the insurers. If any of you purchase the Comics Buyers Guide, I think they list an insurance company that covers collectibles. I'd have to find it though, since I'm unsure if they list in every issue.

As for me insuring my stuff. Yeah, sure. I have about 180 long boxes of comics and over 2000 video games. Though I do have an extensive list of all my video games and whether or not I have boxes, instructions, and even if it's sealed. 2000 video games are a lot easier to track than 50,000+ comics.

Phil

Oh, as for the Antiques Road Show, I saw that little clip. I remember him saying the system was valued at like $200 or something like that. I think this guy was smoking weed. I also think he put Space Invaders or Asteroids at something like $10.00. I'd be happy to sell him all my dupes of those common games for $2.00 each let alone $10.00.

Phil

I have renters insurance which is pretty cheap per year and covers everything in my place. Just take a picture of everything. Because of ebay and gaming stores, it shouldn't be too tough to prove its worth to an insurance agency if anything ever happens to your collection.

Good luck,

Todd

Oh, as for the Antiques Road Show, I saw that little clip. I remember him saying the system was valued at like $200 or something like that. I think this guy was smoking weed. I also think he put Space Invaders or Asteroids at something like $10.00. I'd be happy to sell him all my dupes of those common games for $2.00 each let alone $10.00.

Phil

There was a guy here or on newsgroups (I forgot which but probably the latter) who claimed he could sell 2600 Pac-Man in the Pacific Northwest for $5 each. I offered to buy him a 100, sell them to him for $200, and he could keep the profit. Needless to say I never heard back from him. :D

All my stuff is digitized with my camera and on the harddrive/cdr and on video tape. It's covered under my house insurance, and though I'm going to look into it, I believe they are insured for "replacement," no set value except the insurance cap of everything in my house. So I think that I would just need a quote from a dealer or and e-bay bid or something to prove the object's replacement cost and I'll get the money to buy the replacement. I'm definately going to check into this more closely though... :ponder:

If you want an appraisal, I would use one of the price guides

I checked, my insurance company wouldn't take it. I think they're looking for some kind of certification. At some point I started looking into what kind of certification that might be but then abandoned the effort for lack of time.

But I know my homeowners won't cover all the electronics in my house. I probably don't have enough to cover the modern computers I have around, much less the modern electronics and video games.

Not that it takes much, most insurance have pretty low limits on all electronic gear.

Eric