IGNORED

Photos of store display game kiosks

user42

I was looking at doubledown's awesome CV display unit and I started thinking. I would love to see photos of all of the various store units.

Here is doubledown's set-up again...

post-15767-1249237747_thumb.jpg

and I pulled these from Michael Jacksons collection...

post-15767-1249237867_thumb.png

post-15767-1249237880_thumb.png

post-15767-1249237902_thumb.png

post-15767-1249237921_thumb.png

post-15767-1249237948_thumb.png

Anyone have anymore to add?

Man today's kiosks pale in comparison to the classic game kiosks.The kiosks ive seen for systems like Wii,playstation are so blah and plain.I'm sure cost has alot to do with the scaling down.I remember the local mall had INTV,CV,2600 kiosks all over.During the crash,the stores would throw the kiosks in the trash.You'd see kiosks all over the place,behind the stores,beside the trash bins just waiting to be scooped up.I ask myself this question all the time"why didnt i grab them when they were there"? :ponder: :x

I have a PS1 unit that is similar to the one pictures except it is a table top version so it looks like just the top half of the one in the picture. I also have the Dreamcast kiosk which is still may favorite looking one.

I am surprised no one has posted a Jaguar Kiosk, I know a few AAers have them.

I saw a Sega Master System and Nintendo NES display consoles, they both hold multiple carts, but never saw a housing for them and then of course there is the often drooled over Nintendo Gameboy kiosk which looks like a giant gameboy mono, one went for over a grand on ebay a few months ago. I bet photos of it can be found via google

edit: found a couple images, could NOT find the big mini fridge sized gameboy kiosk though :(

post-3814-1249541634_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1249541661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

The kiosks are cool, especially the 2600. But for me I just couldn't see playing these standing up. It probably doesn't make sense since I play arcade games standing up but maybe it's because the home consoles were intended to be played from your living room chair.

I understand your thinking, but since I've set up my ColecoVision kiosk, there is such a different feeling standing at a cabinet. I really prefer it to sitting down.

The kiosks are cool, especially the 2600. But for me I just couldn't see playing these standing up. It probably doesn't make sense since I play arcade games standing up but maybe it's because the home consoles were intended to be played from your living room chair.

I understand your thinking, but since I've set up my ColecoVision kiosk, there is such a different feeling standing at a cabinet. I really prefer it to sitting down.

I have fond memories of the SNES display... it was the first time I'd seen a flat-screen TV up close. Sold me on the concept in an instant.

Great photos and websites. I've always been fond of store game kiosks. I've got retail kiosks for GBA (tabletop & e-reader), SP (tabletop & aisle mount upright), DS (tabletop & aisle mount upright), N-Gage (dual upright & tabletop), PSP (full upright with cabinet), N64 (tabletop), and Dreamcast (tabletop [upright as seen in MJ's collection above, minus podium]).

Edited by Nimtene

I have fond memories of the SNES display... it was the first time I'd seen a flat-screen TV up close. Sold me on the concept in an instant.

Part of it, is the Arcade games were designed to chew you up and spit you out as fast as possible so you kept plunking in quarters, while the home consoles were designed to hold your interest so you'd think it's good and buy more games. So...you never got tired while playing the arcade game, unless you just got hella good at it or something.

Hey, I'd love the multi cart things for the NES and Genesis, that's cool! I liked the Idea of the Game Brain for the 2600, wonder if similar production devices were made for others? That would certainly get rid of the Zif problem the NES has.

I thought about building my own cabinet so I could house all the games and stuff that went with the systems, but can't decide if I want an arcade style cabinet, or to design my own :\ Pluss they would take up considerable space.

Great photos and websites. I've always been fond of store game kiosks. I've got retail kiosks for GBA (tabletop & e-reader), SP (tabletop & aisle mount upright), DS (tabletop & aisle mount upright), N-Gage (dual upright & tabletop), PSP (full upright with cabinet), N64 (tabletop), and Dreamcast (tabletop [upright as seen in MJ's collection above, minus podium]).

Any Photos? :ponder:

More...

post-15767-1249650206_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1249650235_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1249650272_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1249650345_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1249650366_thumb.jpg

very nice.

when I was young, I do remember the display at K-Mart (colecovision and atari). just beside the K-Mart, there were a small strore with an Vic-20 or C64 display....I used to play omega race.

here is an intellivision display that I had in my photo library

post-60-1249667385_thumb.jpg

Edited by maximebeauvais

If anyone knows where I can get a small black sony monitor to go with my Playstation Kiosk, similar to the one pictured, let me know. Mine is a table top version, same speakers and Sony PS sign on top with lights and everything. I got it for $100 shipped, sans monitor, because it would have been tool much to ship

Okay as you may know I am KiOsK CrAzY! (total of 9 now, unlike buddies, they are all for different systems :D ) My question is, do you think that if a fabricator like crazyclimber, and a guy with too much time and a passion for details/hardware (me) could make a good enough go at classic kiosk reproductions? Shipping would be the biggest factor, but since they would be custom, I think that would okay since it could be delivered in parts or in person based on the customers needs and advance planning. I have realized that some of this stuff I just will never get a chance to find... the concept of making them... even if they are not exact copies but inspired by the consoles appeals to me. (Right after I'm done with Marks joysticks)... I've been buying up tools for odd jobs and they will enable me to take on bigger projects... the first is a Genesis Kiosk I've been planning for a while now.

AX

Okay as you may know I am KiOsK CrAzY! (total of 9 now, unlike buddies, they are all for different systems :D ) My question is, do you think that if a fabricator like crazyclimber, and a guy with too much time and a passion for details/hardware (me) could make a good enough go at classic kiosk reproductions? Shipping would be the biggest factor, but since they would be custom, I think that would okay since it could be delivered in parts or in person based on the customers needs and advance planning. I have realized that some of this stuff I just will never get a chance to find... the concept of making them... even if they are not exact copies but inspired by the consoles appeals to me. (Right after I'm done with Marks joysticks)... I've been buying up tools for odd jobs and they will enable me to take on bigger projects... the first is a Genesis Kiosk I've been planning for a while now.

AX

I think that is an awesome idea. I think you should concentrate on the older kiosks like the Vectrex and the NES. Man, if you could replicate the Gameboy Kiosk that would be amazing but I think the hardest part would be replicating the video out module. The damn thing has a special circuit wired into a stock gameboy to give it video out to the monitor which then has a green plastic screen put in front to make it look like the gameboy screen. then your next obstacle is the molded plastic cases some of these old kiosk use, but yeah, awesome idea if you can do it right and stick to the classics.

I don't think I've ever seen a Genesis Kiosk before this thread.

To keep costs down you may consider doing table top versions instead of stand-up, the gameboy kiosk is perfect for that as is the NES and SNES and I suppose the Genny too if you did it right

AX

I think that is an awesome idea. I think you should concentrate on the older kiosks like the Vectrex and the NES. Man, if you could replicate the Gameboy Kiosk that would be amazing but I think the hardest part would be replicating the video out module. The damn thing has a special circuit wired into a stock gameboy to give it video out to the monitor which then has a green plastic screen put in front to make it look like the gameboy screen. then your next obstacle is the molded plastic cases some of these old kiosk use, but yeah, awesome idea if you can do it right and stick to the classics.

I don't think I've ever seen a Genesis Kiosk before this thread.

To keep costs down you may consider doing table top versions instead of stand-up, the gameboy kiosk is perfect for that as is the NES and SNES and I suppose the Genny too if you did it right

I to think it's an awesome Idea, to keep costs down even further, you could offer the cab in a knockeddown format, it's cheaper to ship smaller boxes, then the end user puts their own monitor and game system into it. Of course, it still requires work of the end user, but I figure anybody that's going to be interested would have at least some Idea of how it would work.

The Movie Gallery near me has an X-box 360 display...I thought it looked pretty cool myself.

post-3102-1249936396_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...