IGNORED

TRS-80 Model III Questions

Tempest

Whilst driving through the middle of nowhere Ohio today on the way back from the significant others relatives today, I spotted an odd looking silver and black item on the side of the road in front of someones house. It took a few seconds to sink in, but I knew even before I turned around and went back that it must be a TRS-80. After convincing the fiancee to let me take it home, I now am the proud owner of a TRS-80 model III with two built in disk drives.

The computer looks to be in good shape and even came with a dust cover. I'm still not sure it works though however. I can get it to turn on and the drive spins up for a few seconds (looking for a disk I don't have), but then it stops. The monitor never seems to display anything however, but when I shut the computer off I can see the electron beam got back to the center and form a pin point of light (like on a vectrex). Does this mean that the monitor is shot? If so, is it an easy fix? I've always wanted one of these, but they're too heavy to ship.

I'm still amazed I found it on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. How odd is that?

Tempest

If it's a simple flash (like turning on any CRT moniter) then it's OK, but if it's making vertical lines or something like that then it might be broken.

When I shut it off it's a quick flash and then a pinpoint of light. I need to find a disk with a TRS-80 program on it to test it with. I think some of my Apple II disks have a TRS-80 flippy.

Tempest

It's been a long time since I used the Model III, but I seem to remember that some sort of display (a BASIC prompt, I think) would come up when the computer was turned on. I'm no hardware expert, but my first guess would be that there's a problem with the CRT. That may or may not be an easy fix, but I would think a qualified TV repairman or Mr. Fixit type could help. If $$$ is an issue, maybe you could work out some sort of bartering arrangement (I don't know what your professional skill set is). I know a guy in Philadelphia, but not in Ohio!

Great computer, by the way, with some nice games in BASIC available for the system. My mother had one for a year or so, on loan from the company where she worked as a bookkeeper, and I fondly remember the disk of games that I would occasionally get to play. When you get it up and running, see if you can track down Quest For The Key Of Night Shade (insanely difficult RPG), Kitchen Sink (bizarre arcade game), Paper Chase (college graduation text adventure), and some game whose name I don't remember that involves "suspension of disbelief" and strange robots (anyone know the title of this one?).

Edited by thegoldenband

This was my first "true" computer. I LOVE the TRS-80 Model III!

If I remember correctly, turn it on and hold down the <BREAK> key to get into the built in BASIC. You will need TRS-DOS to make it boot up into an O/S. Also, once in DOS, press <SHIFT>+<RIGHT ARROW> to go into "fat mode" as I liked to call it.

Let me know if it works! I'd love to see pics also!

I can't speak to the Model III itself, but you might start here:

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

There's also an older, single-page version here. Without rereading the whole thing, I think the symptom you describe is cited there somewhere.

While CRTs need to be respected, my parents used to finagle with our TV, and never blew themselves up. OTOH, I'm still too skittish to try to fix my TV, which has turned rather blue lately.

EDIT: Actually, rereading your post, I'm wondering if the CRT just isn't getting a signal it can display...which means it could be anything, really. I hope the experts can help! If it does turn out to be the CRT, this might be helpful:

http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2009/01/tech-fixed-tv-for-father-in-law-dtd1363.html

Be wary of self diagnosis on TV’s. We used to pick up old sets from people who would throw out good sets because the picture on the tube would shrink to a “line in the middle” or a “dot in the middle”. So of course, people would assume the picture tube went bad and it would be too expensive to fix. 9 out of 10 times, however, it was a deflection circuit, and the part would cost about 30 bucks to fix it.
Edited by thegoldenband

WOW. That is an amazing find, on the side of the road? Its like the gods sent it to ya, lol.

Good luck with it.

If you really want help from people that know a lot about them, I recommend this site http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I have an account here, it is also a good community with a marketplace, much like AA.

If I remember correctly, turn it on and hold down the key to get into the built in BASIC.

I'll try that tonight. I'll also crack 'er open and see if there's a loose wire or something simple like that.

I'll take some pictures tonight. It's in really nice shape other than a little wear on the case where the person must have been resting their wrists for the past 30 years. It also has some funky little badge on the right below the red button that says something about 48K IIRC. BTW what the heck is that red button for?

Tempest

If I remember correctly, turn it on and hold down the <BREAK> key to get into the built in BASIC.

I'll try that tonight. I'll also crack 'er open and see if there's a loose wire or something simple like that.

I'll take some pictures tonight. It's in really nice shape other than a little wear on the case where the person must have been resting their wrists for the past 30 years. It also has some funky little badge on the right below the red button that says something about 48K IIRC. BTW what the heck is that red button for?

Tempest

Hi Tempest.

How about sending an email to Nick Marentas based in Australia. He designed some games for the TRS-80 models. He would give you some answers your after.

Here's his email addy:

nickma@optusnet.com.au

He can help you out for sure. You can even download some games from his website to try out on your excellent find.

laters

Briza

The red button is the reset button.

Hold down the BREAK key while pressing and releasing it and you should enter cassette-only mode.

Will that always display something on the screen or only if there's a tape drive hooked up?

Tempest

I think the monitor is broken (which is probably why it was out in the trash). I don't seem to get an image on it no matter what I do. The only monitor activity I see is that there's a light blur then a pinpoint when I shut the monitor off.

Should I even bother trying to open this up or am I just going to fry myself trying to fix something that's probably impossible to fix?

Tempest

I think the big question is whether the CRT isn't functioning, or whether it's just not getting a signal. Some of what you describe sounds like it could be the deflectors, which the link I posted above describes as an easy fix. Is there a good way to tap into the CRT, bypassing the Model III's video hardware or whatever, and send it a test signal?

Whatever it is, I'm sure it can be fixed, and there are definitely still TRS-80 buffs out there who can fix it, though I'm more of a CoCo guy myself.

• 3 weeks later...

So, any luck? I have fond memories of the Model III, and hope you're able to get it up and running.

By the way, spurred by atarimac's excellent new emulator, I've been playing Quest For The Key Of Night Shade again. Here's a disk image (nightshd.zip), and also the .bas files (qniteshd.zip). The game's in the public domain as I recall.

If you use the disk image, put it in drive 1 (with TRSDOS in drive 0), type BASIC to get back to BASIC, and then RUN "B4/BAS:1" to start the game (the files were renamed to B1.BAS - B4.BAS on the disk image).

nightshd.zip

qniteshd.zip

Edited by thegoldenband

If you get it working, and you want to be terribly frustrated, find a copy of Deathmaze 5000.

My cousins had a TRS-80 and this game back in like 1980, and many many hours were spent trying to figure it out. I suppose being stuck for months in a game trying to figure out what "Invert and Telephone" is supposed to mean is an experience that no one will ever have again here in the Internet era.

No I haven't had a chance to look at it. Truth be told I was afraid to touch the insides of the monitor after having powered it up, so I figured a few weeks of not being powered should let all the caps power down. I might take a look this weekend if I get a chance.

Tempest

• 2 months later...

No I haven't had a chance to look at it. Truth be told I was afraid to touch the insides of the monitor after having powered it up, so I figured a few weeks of not being powered should let all the caps power down. I might take a look this weekend if I get a chance.

Tempest

Have you checked the brighness and contrast controls, they are on the bottom-ish......just a wee bit in from one of the the sides IIRC

it is VERY easy to bump one of these when carrying it and it's amazing how many people swear the computer is broken after doing that :)