IGNORED

TRS-80 Model III Questions

Tempest

• 5 months later...

Ok I've officially given up on trying to fix my TRS-80. I can't get the case open because on screw is stripped and the monitor adjust knobs didn't do anything. Even if I could open it up I wouldn't know what the heck to do anyway. I'm going to throw it out unless someone local to me thinks they can fix it as it's too heavy to ship anywhere.

I still want a working TRS-80 Model I or III. :(

Tempest

Not much help, but the monitor behavior sounds pretty normal based on what my model II does, but it sounds like there's either no signal (damaged video connection or not booting as all -which could mean somethings fried or some other damaged connections or corrosion).

That pinpoint light thing is totally normal, or at least is exactly what the model II does.

You could try drilling out the stripped screw too.

Alas, finding one of these in working condition without spending hundreds is why I don't have one yet. I've had equally bad luck with the model 4s.

I guess one day will come when I'll have to buy one of the BINs on eBay for a ton of money. As much as I hate to do that, the Model III/IV were some of my earliest programming experiences, so I really want one. I simply haven't resigned to spending that much money on one yet. How could a computer so common in the day now be so difficult to find working?

If no one takes the whole thing and you'd like to get rid of just the drives, I may be interested. I have a working 1-drive unit. Would sure be nice to make it a 2-drive.

That's a good point, I should probably harvest the drives out of it. Then again I can't get the case open so I'm not sure how to get the drives out!

Tempest

Not much help, but the monitor behavior sounds pretty normal based on what my model II does, but it sounds like there's either no signal (damaged video connection or not booting as all -which could mean somethings fried or some other damaged connections or corrosion).

That pinpoint light thing is totally normal, or at least is exactly what the model II does.

You could try drilling out the stripped screw too.

It boots, the one disk drive reads for a bit when I turn it on or reset. I think the monitor is just dead or the video board is damaged. Either way it's beyond my skills to repair it.

Tempest